Macquarie Pass safe to ride solo?

whitey

Macquarie Pass safe to ride solo?

Postby whitey » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi

I'm in the Southern Highlands over the weekend and planning to ride up Macquarie pass a few times, Ill be riding solo and probably before 10.00am in the morning.

Can anyone tell me whether its safe to ride solo, is there a breakdown lane and will it be high/low traffic etc?

thanks

sblack

Re: Macquarie Pass safe to ride solo?

Postby sblack » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Traffic will have picked up well before 10. It's never Sydney levels of traffic but by that stage you can probably expect a few groups of a slow car with a few cars stuck behind it as well as a couple of cars in between the groups on their way to catching the next slow car. If it's good weather then there's a reasonable chance of some motorbikes travelling fairly quickly but you'll hear them well before they catch you. There is little breakdown lane that's of much use so you'll mostly be sharing a lane with the other traffic.

Having said all that I've ridden up it solo plenty of times, including when the traffic is heavier, and since they've put double lines most of the way I haven't had any close calls. Before that I had an oncoming motorbike come closer than I'd like and that's the only time traffic had made me uncomfortable at all. The road from Albion Park to the pass is not as nice though and I've had a few cars pass uncomfortably close on it.

whitey

Postby whitey » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Chickened out, too foggy.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:40 pm

It's quite nice in the fog, you tend to see the lyrebirds more and most cars exercise a little more caution. Providing you have your lights on, it's not so bad.

ChainBreak

Postby ChainBreak » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:55 pm

grantw wrote:It's quite nice in the fog, you tend to see the lyrebirds more and most cars exercise a little more caution. Providing you have your lights on, it's not so bad.
Personally I wouldn't risk it :? But that is just me :P
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P

whitey

Postby whitey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Climbed it over the weekend with a few mates. Biggest hill I've climbed - southern highlands weather is perfect for riding at the moment.

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:28 am

whitey wrote:Climbed it over the weekend with a few mates. Biggest hill I've climbed - southern highlands weather is perfect for riding at the moment.
Well done!

ChainBreak

Postby ChainBreak » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:24 pm

grantw wrote:
whitey wrote:Climbed it over the weekend with a few mates. Biggest hill I've climbed - southern highlands weather is perfect for riding at the moment.
Well done!
+1 :D
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P