What's that classic term again ?

WarrenH

What's that classic term again ?

Postby WarrenH » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:56 pm

For rural road maintenance ? ... "Good enough for rural ?"

McKeown Drive in Estella is interesting. It is as straight as an arrow but it will loosen teeth, after one pass, guaranteed ... riding the dirt shoulder saves teeth.

If you have the time, please post the best or most interesting rural roads.

Warren.

PS, These shots are from exploring the Murrumbidgee River. Narimba Lagoon (aka Grand Canyon Lagoon). Track was very slippery, yesterday. After the floods, of a couple of months ago, this is the colour of the grass. Extraordinary.

"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Re: What's that classic term again ?

Postby WarrenH » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Sorry dupe post.
Last edited by WarrenH on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Having started this thread ...I feel a fast game is a good game, hey?

From Estella ... to The Rock.

Once you're through Ashmont then over the bridge at Kapooka, coasting is a subtle and long down-hill, all the way to The Rock.

I asked NSW National Parks for permission to camp for a while at The Rock, to have the time to do several paintings of The Rock. If I don't get permission by the end of this week, I'm going to ride the BNT North to Cessnock and paint Baal Bone Gap, Myrtle Creek, The Wedding Cake, the Cat's Ears, Watts Mountain, Bylong Valley, historic Pickering Pass and Bell's Gap.

I'm packed and ready to scoot.

Warren.

PS, from the first post substitute this image for the duplicated image.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Love the photos. As usual.

Where's the "jealous" smilie? :lol:

gilruth36

Postby gilruth36 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Great photos. Thank you for posting them. Do you mind if I ask what kind of bike you have to get along roads like this? :shock:

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Trailgumby, thank you Mate.

If you are riding out towards Wee Jasper on the SW Slopes of NSW at any stage, include Sawyers Gully Road, if time permits ... it is only 18ks long. Sawyers Gully Road joins the hard topped Mountain Creek and Yass-Wee Jasper roads. Sawyer Gully lies between the Northern Brindabella Ranges and the rasor-back ridges that form the southern escarpments of the elevated Narrungullen Plain and Little Plain.

gilruth3, G'day. I've a 2010 Giant Anthem X3 (an entry level XC racing mountain bike) that I take touring around the Murrumbidgee, the Great Divide and the Great Escarpment. The only changes that I've made to the bike are, fitting a Sport Manie 'Passisti' aka Passo saddle (http://www.smanie.com/get_page.php?stru ... d=61&lid=1), Ergo Contact bar ends and swapping SPDs to combination SPD/platform pedals. I also haul an Extrawheel Voyager Solo trailer and have a beam rack with side rails.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Nice photos!

The only road I can think of that has as many patches as the first on is Bannockburn Rd, Turramurra in Sydney. No joke... I'll see if I can find a picture.

Edit: It's not regional, in fact it's in one of Sydney's fancier suburbs. Shocking rd though.

I'm loving look at thos photos again!

Cheers,
Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Dave, G'day. I can imagine what that road is like. Nice camber.

Here is another classic term, "Travelling from A to B".

On the Bicentennial National Trail, on that tarmac bit between Waiborough and Taralga. The photo is an old hand-coloured black and white.

Warren.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:15 pm

What is the most appropriate term, a successful reconnoitre or just a fool's errand?

While I was waiting for a map to arrive for my coming trip (which has now finally been delivered), last week I did a reccy on foot of Stockyard Spur to Little Ginini Mountain, in the Brindies. I like to vary the ways of crossing these mountains, so I thought if I could bring (like wheel and carry like) ma'-bike and Exrtrawheel trailer down Stockyard Spur, it would add a piece to my touring jig-saw and I might lo be the first MTB touring idiot ever to do that. Thanks to some flat bits the slope averaged 22.5% but there's lot of 45% slope at times and no real rideable track. This is a catchment wilderness. Riding isn't allowed off track or in the gazetted Bimberi Wilderness.

27 years ago, I went up Stockyard Spur to Coolamon Plain and then Long Plain through Blackfellas Gap. After Blackfellas Gap it was downhill to Oldfields Hut and Pocket Saddle Hut, past the Blue Water Holes at Caves Creek. The track was only a goat track then. Things have improved greatly nowadays and now there are many hundreds of newly installed rustic wooden steps on the big spur. I'm totally in awe of the people who build steps. They have turned Stockyard Spur into an Empire State Building length of staircase ... in parts.

So here are some shots from the reccy, from the Cotter River at Corin Dam to Little Ginini Mountain ... and a Garmin Oztopo 3D map .

The land effect on the wind, creating catspaws, looked cool. Bimberi (1900m+) on the left is the ACT's highest Mountain. The ride to Corin Dam is popular with roadies.

A 1:25,000 topo showing how wild this country is.

View of Mount Franklin from up on Stockyard Spur. The highlights of the day were, we saw 5 Emus, dozens of Flame Robins, a few Stinkers (Swamp Wallaby), one Red Neck (Red Shoulder Wallaby) and several Eastern Greys. The forests looked very healthy, the views were stunning and the track across the top of the range looks not too difficult but a bit hilly.

When we finally reached the top, the track on the flat, was well appreciated.

Mount Gingera late in the day.

The big spur, Garmin Oztopo V3 in 3D at 100%.

Warren.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 pm

"Do you come from a land down under?"

Wolgan Valley Road ... in the western Blue Mountains.

Warren.