Not having a good run

Not having a good run

Postby Jerryjan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi just over 2 weeks ago had to replace my rear wheel. Any way when I gone the bike back I noticed there was a loud rattle but I am a little deaf so ask some guys I was riding with can you tell where the noise is, they said from the rear of the bike. I thought maybe the internal cables was rattling. Back to the shop left it with them for a week, had to ring the shop as they never seem to ring me the owner says there is a broken bolt in ISO decoupler and a rubber o ring needs replacing and it may need a new frame. Not very happy I am not rough with my bike I do weigh 90 kg. Today I rang again today to find the bike had been fixed they had managed to get the broken bolt out and replaced it, nobody took any time to tell me why it might have happened, but at least it was covered under warranty. I must admit it does make me think about the durability of my bike.
Cheers Jerry
Jerryjan
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Perth

by BNA » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:04 pm

BNA
 

Re: Not having a good run

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:04 pm

There's also the possibility the shop staff were just spinning you a yarn, genuinely didn't know - or were more simply covering their bottoms for a mistake they made the first time around.

Not saying all shop staff are like this - but I think you'll find a number of us have had similar experiences in the past.
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
User avatar
HappyHumber
 
Posts: 4231
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: Not having a good run

Postby AndyRevill » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:37 am

I would ask the shop to take the time to explain to you exactly what the problem was, what they did to fix it and what might have caused it. If you're not happy after that ask them to arrange a meeting for you with the Trek rep so you can discuss your concerns directly. I've never had any issues but from what I've heard Trek are generally very conscious of customer service.

Good luck

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5
AndyRevill
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: Margate, TAS

Re: Not having a good run

Postby ClydesdaleChris » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:23 pm

I thrash mine, I'm 105kg and have never had a problem. No has anyone I know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ClydesdaleChris
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: Not having a good run

Postby Alsd » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Just breathing some life into this thread.

I bought a 4.7 domane less than 6 months ago, have ridden it for a bit over 2000km. Love the thing, absolutely a delight to ride... HOWEVER, is been back to the shop 5 or 6 times now for frame creaks. The lbs has been great, each time dealing with it and doing their bit. Most of the cracks have originated from the bb area but also the head tube.

Can't fault the shop as they are doing their bit but man am I getting over it. Basically after about every 400km she needs to go back because some new creak develops and each time they fix it and then it reappears. My patience has pretty much run out. The bike is currently in the shop and I told them that this has to be the last time for this issue. I told them that I wanted a final solution this time.

Anyone else here agree that by now they probably should've made a warranty claim on the frame? I'm getting pretty pissed off that I have to keep taking it back every couple of weeks. They have told me today that they are looking at the iso couple bit and the cassette. I'm pretty disappointed and was hoping for a warranty claim because as far as I can see, the frame is faulty due to the constant recurrence of the issue.

Thoughts? Would anyone else here have made a bit more noise and pushed for a replacement frame already? I care for this bike fastidiously and keep it in top nick.

I'm telling them that this is the final straw when I pick it up. If it happens again I'll be bringing the bike in and demanding for either a refund or a replacement.

Curious to hear other opinions.
Alsd
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Not having a good run

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:53 am

Alsd wrote:Just breathing some life into this thread.

I bought a 4.7 domane less than 6 months ago, have ridden it for a bit over 2000km. Love the thing, absolutely a delight to ride... HOWEVER, is been back to the shop 5 or 6 times now for frame creaks. The lbs has been great, each time dealing with it and doing their bit. Most of the cracks have originated from the bb area but also the head tube.

Can't fault the shop as they are doing their bit but man am I getting over it. Basically after about every 400km she needs to go back because some new creak develops and each time they fix it and then it reappears. My patience has pretty much run out. The bike is currently in the shop and I told them that this has to be the last time for this issue. I told them that I wanted a final solution this time.

Anyone else here agree that by now they probably should've made a warranty claim on the frame? I'm getting pretty pissed off that I have to keep taking it back every couple of weeks. They have told me today that they are looking at the iso couple bit and the cassette. I'm pretty disappointed and was hoping for a warranty claim because as far as I can see, the frame is faulty due to the constant recurrence of the issue.

Thoughts? Would anyone else here have made a bit more noise and pushed for a replacement frame already? I care for this bike fastidiously and keep it in top nick.

I'm telling them that this is the final straw when I pick it up. If it happens again I'll be bringing the bike in and demanding for either a refund or a replacement.

Curious to hear other opinions.


If they won't help you find a different Trek dealer that will. The shop makes the call on warranty initially, demanding anything probably won't get you very far. It sounds like they should replace it though, so again, find a different dealer that is willing to work with you.
User avatar
rearviewmirror
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Williamstown, Victoria

Re: Not having a good run

Postby flashpixx » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:36 pm

rearviewmirror wrote:
Alsd wrote:Just breathing some life into this thread.

I bought a 4.7 domane less than 6 months ago, have ridden it for a bit over 2000km. Love the thing, absolutely a delight to ride... HOWEVER, is been back to the shop 5 or 6 times now for frame creaks. The lbs has been great, each time dealing with it and doing their bit. Most of the cracks have originated from the bb area but also the head tube.

Can't fault the shop as they are doing their bit but man am I getting over it. Basically after about every 400km she needs to go back because some new creak develops and each time they fix it and then it reappears. My patience has pretty much run out. The bike is currently in the shop and I told them that this has to be the last time for this issue. I told them that I wanted a final solution this time.

Anyone else here agree that by now they probably should've made a warranty claim on the frame? I'm getting pretty pissed off that I have to keep taking it back every couple of weeks. They have told me today that they are looking at the iso couple bit and the cassette. I'm pretty disappointed and was hoping for a warranty claim because as far as I can see, the frame is faulty due to the constant recurrence of the issue.

Thoughts? Would anyone else here have made a bit more noise and pushed for a replacement frame already? I care for this bike fastidiously and keep it in top nick.

I'm telling them that this is the final straw when I pick it up. If it happens again I'll be bringing the bike in and demanding for either a refund or a replacement.

Curious to hear other opinions.


If they won't help you find a different Trek dealer that will. The shop makes the call on warranty initially, demanding anything probably won't get you very far. It sounds like they should replace it though, so again, find a different dealer that is willing to work with you.


This was a selling point by one of the lbs over here. They quoted a "no questions asked" policy for frame replacement from Trek. Surprised your lbs persisted in trying to fix it if Trek are so accommodating :?
Cheers, Flash

2014 TREK Domane 5.2
Fizik Arione CX Kium Saddle
Bontrager Race X Lite Wheelset and Road 3 Tubeless Tyres
User avatar
flashpixx
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:04 pm
Location: Maylands WA

Re: Not having a good run

Postby wgc138 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:58 pm

The selling line is "lifetime warranty" on the frame... The bb has been known to creak and for the lack of better term, high maintenance. This was a big deterrent for me in getting any frames with the pressed bb, but my desire got the better of me..

Any BB is a pita, some are better than others but none are full proof. Learn and try to fix it by yourself, some lbs make really good dough by fixing or lubing bb's
wgc138
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Re: Not having a good run

Postby Jerryjan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:35 pm

To ALDS I have since been told you can go on facebook ( I am not a member) and there is a Trek site you can go on and maybe you might get more action or reaction. Trek loves bike shops selling bike but I am not too sure about Treks commitment to communication with individual bike owners, which is very poor. I agree with you the problem should be fixed or replaced.
Jerryjan
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Perth

Re: Not having a good run

Postby Alsd » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:39 pm

Good thoughts guys,

I did ask my fellow at the lbs what am I supposed to do when the 12 month free servicing runs out, mentioning that bringing the f#*ing thing in every 400km is going to be a: a PITA and b: bloody expensive!

The shop have done "a complete rebuild" and so far after about 200km, all good. I did thank the shop for their efforts as they have been great but I did express my doubt that this would no longer be an issue and that I'm afraid that I'll be back soon.

I agree that I will have to learn how to press the BB myself, I mean, it's not rocket science but while it's covered by a warranty and a 12 month service agreement, I'll leave it to the shop so that if they screw it up then it's their problem.

Regarding getting on a facebook site etc, well that's an option down the track I guess but so far the lbs has been great and totally reasonable, my only gripe being the amount of visits to get the "full rebuild then if it's still a problem, new frame" bit done.

Flash I see you have a 5 series, what's your thoughts there mate? If it comes to a replacement frame, I'll seriusly consider the upgrade to a 5 if the price is right.

Al.
Alsd
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Not having a good run

Postby flashpixx » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:27 am

Alsd wrote: Flash I see you have a 5 series, what's your thoughts there mate? If it comes to a replacement frame, I'll seriusly consider the upgrade to a 5 if the price is right.

Al.


I love my 5.2. Up to around 3,500 km now since April and not an problem. When I first got it the Isospeed seat post coupler wasn't fitted correctly (known issue from factory) so the lbs fixed that. Since then not a problem. I only compared the 5.2 to a Giant Defy, and the Domane was nicer to ride for me. When I did all my pre purchase homework I looked at the 4, 5 and 6 series Domane with various running gear. I reckon the 5 series, and particularly the 5.2 with Ultegra is the best bang for buck.
Cheers, Flash

2014 TREK Domane 5.2
Fizik Arione CX Kium Saddle
Bontrager Race X Lite Wheelset and Road 3 Tubeless Tyres
User avatar
flashpixx
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:04 pm
Location: Maylands WA

Re: Not having a good run

Postby bianchi928 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Alsd wrote:Just breathing some life into this thread.

I bought a 4.7 domane less than 6 months ago, have ridden it for a bit over 2000km. Love the thing, absolutely a delight to ride... HOWEVER, is been back to the shop 5 or 6 times now for frame creaks. The lbs has been great, each time dealing with it and doing their bit. Most of the cracks have originated from the bb area but also the head tube.

Can't fault the shop as they are doing their bit but man am I getting over it. Basically after about every 400km she needs to go back because some new creak develops and each time they fix it and then it reappears. My patience has pretty much run out. The bike is currently in the shop and I told them that this has to be the last time for this issue. I told them that I wanted a final solution this time.

Anyone else here agree that by now they probably should've made a warranty claim on the frame? I'm getting pretty pissed off that I have to keep taking it back every couple of weeks. They have told me today that they are looking at the iso couple bit and the cassette. I'm pretty disappointed and was hoping for a warranty claim because as far as I can see, the frame is faulty due to the constant recurrence of the issue.

Thoughts? Would anyone else here have made a bit more noise and pushed for a replacement frame already? I care for this bike fastidiously and keep it in top nick.

I'm telling them that this is the final straw when I pick it up. If it happens again I'll be bringing the bike in and demanding for either a refund or a replacement.

Curious to hear other opinions.


Hi Al,

We have 2, 5 series Domanes (5.9), 3 if you count the one I wrote off in a crit. Awesome bikes.

Most carbon frames will creak at some stage. Ours have and I have had to look into the usual suspects and grease them etc.

Something to be mindful of is it may not always be your frame. You say that a "new" creak develops every 400km or so. It may be your saddle, your BB, your skewers, your stem. your headset, your pedals etc etc.

If it is a new creak, maybe your bike wasn't assembled properly in the first place and maybe that has now been rectified.

It doesn't sound like your frame is always the problem so you while you might demand a new frame under warranty, I'm not fancying your chances.

I hope yoiu get it sorted and enjoy your bike because they are great to ride.

Best wishes
Stand on my dog I cut off your head
bianchi928
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:17 pm
Location: Perth


Return to Trek

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers