Trek DS recall

nomadicsoul

Trek DS recall

Postby nomadicsoul » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:48 am

Just had a phone call from Trek. I have a Trek DS8.3 from 2013. Apparently Contour have issued a recall as there is an issue with the forks on these bikes and the quick release mechanism/part. Did anyone else received a call or have a different model of bike affected?

limbot

Re: Trek DS recall

Postby limbot » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 am

I have a 2013 DS8,4 which will receive a new RST Vita fork and my son has a 2013 DS 8.3 which will receive a new skewer. Both sitting at the Trek LBS shop I bought them from waiting for the replacement parts to arrive :)

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=76570" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:03 pm

I don't know much about the specific parts of the bike, however mine is the electric blue type colour, yet they advised the part replaced will be black in colour. I was assured that this isn't really visible - hope that's correct!

limbot

Postby limbot » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:50 pm

Yeah the 8.3 is only the skewer, the "pin" through the middle of the wheels axle), it'll be no issue. The replacement forks for the 8.4 and up however. I've got the matte white because of the paint job and while there's a replacement white Vita it won't be matte. I'll just have to wait and see.....

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:33 pm

This recall involves more than Trek bikes (Scott) and includes the Marlin as well.
This seems to be a major recall of bikes so I'm surprised it has not got more coverage here.

CB

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:23 pm

THey didn't really explain what the issue is to me - I have had a few issues with getting the wheel back on to the fork however (there seems to be a spring which doesn't always sit right).

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Had my skewer replaced today - took all of a few minutes. The new skewer has two little plastic 'pads' which clip into the indentations on the frame. A bit more fiddly to get in and out, but does give me more confidence i.e. if it was to come loose, it would be hard for the wheel to just pop out without assistance.