New Trek Emonda SLR 10. 4.6kg!

Dragster1

Re: New Trek Emonda SLR 10. 4.6kg!

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:39 pm

I have heard of so many people getting the run around with trek carbon frames, makes me wonder what the "life time warranty" is really worth. Yeah they received their warranty frame after countless phone calls and waiting for it to come over on the slow boat and then the components didn't fit because their original frame was out dated and no more in stock.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:53 pm

I think warranty is a store based issue, rather than a brand issue. I know that my local Trek doesn't have problems, and have been replacing Madone 5s from 2011 <?> with Project Ones because the colour scheme didn't exist anymore. This was possibly a hookup from the Trek Sales Manager, who is local. The manager is a big believer in the brand though.
Don't know. I know they recently did a 30 year old warranty job on an old alloy frame... lifetime warranty might have fineprint, but I have a feeling that the fineprint might only be invoked under particular circumstances. Sometimes assumptions about manufacturing defects aren't manufacturing defects. I don't question the reality that some stores might have to wear the warranty claim, and will resist the easy swap.

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:04 pm

Trek are kidding themselves when they say that the Emonda is the "lightest production road line ever". Sure the top model SLR frame is very light but the SL frame weights are average to other bikes at that price point and the S version of the frame is much heavier than competition at the same price point. For example the emonda S6 was weighed on bikerumor to be 8.7kg which is very heavy for carbon bike with full ultegra 6800. As a comparison, aluminium bikes with 105 5700 such as the CAAD10 and specialized allez are slightly lighter (and according to the road.cc review of the CAAD10 with ultegra 6700 it is nearly 1kg lighter at 7.8kg). If you compare to other bottom end carbon frames the Giant TCR composite 2 bike with 105 5700 weighs 8.57kg (+ultegra 6800 is around 300-400 grams lighter than 105 5700) and this bike isn't even marketed as light weight.

When the emonda news was released I immediately questioned this because, as described above, the lower end models are not light (despite still being still dubbed as "ultralight") and thus does not differ too much from the madone (apart from being non-aero). However it is now clear to me, trek announced that they would discontinue all madone models between 2-7. So I believe that it is simply a cost cutting measure, the emonda frames are probably cheaper to produce because of the round tubes as opposed to the aero tubes on the madone.

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Dirty32 wrote:It's been mentioned on here many times previously (and should be able to be found with a forum search, from memory AUbicycles was the last to post about it), but you've gotta be mindful what in fact Trek (or any other manufacturer for that matter) define as being a "lifetime warranty".

It probably isnt going to be what it sounds like or what it says on the tin... These bikes (especially in carbon) do have a defined and usable lifespan unfortunately. Outside of that, you arent getting a new bike if it busts in 10 years (or whatever it is that they deem a 'lifetime' for that frame). One would think that the lifetime warranty may even be less on this frame, given how light it is.

In short, make sure you read the fineprint before committing or laying down your hard earned.
I've had three frames in 10 years replaced by Trek, two were carbon and even done internationally. Sure some components don't match up, but the shops did what they could. It's better than breaking a frame and getting nothing at all.

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Homo Suburbiensis wrote:Trek are kidding themselves when they say that the Emonda is the "lightest production road line ever". Sure the top model SLR frame is very light but the SL frame weights are average to other bikes at that price point and the S version of the frame is much heavier than competition at the same price point. For example the emonda S6 was weighed on bikerumor to be 8.7kg which is very heavy for carbon bike with full ultegra 6800. As a comparison, aluminium bikes with 105 5700 such as the CAAD10 and specialized allez are slightly lighter (and according to the road.cc review of the CAAD10 with ultegra 6700 it is nearly 1kg lighter at 7.8kg). If you compare to other bottom end carbon frames the Giant TCR composite 2 bike with 105 5700 weighs 8.57kg (+ultegra 6800 is around 300-400 grams lighter than 105 5700) and this bike isn't even marketed as light weight.

When the emonda news was released I immediately questioned this because, as described above, the lower end models are not light (despite still being still dubbed as "ultralight") and thus does not differ too much from the madone (apart from being non-aero). However it is now clear to me, trek announced that they would discontinue all madone models between 2-7. So I believe that it is simply a cost cutting measure, the emonda frames are probably cheaper to produce because of the round tubes as opposed to the aero tubes on the madone.
When / where did Trek announce the discontinuance of the Madone. Couldn't find anything on Google.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:39 pm

rearviewmirror wrote:
Homo Suburbiensis wrote:Trek are kidding themselves when they say that the Emonda is the "lightest production road line ever". Sure the top model SLR frame is very light but the SL frame weights are average to other bikes at that price point and the S version of the frame is much heavier than competition at the same price point. For example the emonda S6 was weighed on bikerumor to be 8.7kg which is very heavy for carbon bike with full ultegra 6800. As a comparison, aluminium bikes with 105 5700 such as the CAAD10 and specialized allez are slightly lighter (and according to the road.cc review of the CAAD10 with ultegra 6700 it is nearly 1kg lighter at 7.8kg). If you compare to other bottom end carbon frames the Giant TCR composite 2 bike with 105 5700 weighs 8.57kg (+ultegra 6800 is around 300-400 grams lighter than 105 5700) and this bike isn't even marketed as light weight.

When / where did Trek announce the discontinuance of the Madone. Couldn't find anything on Google.
I don't think anything has been announced, but I believe they'll keep the 7 Series only from next year.
Trek are obviously trying to build some cred in the lightweight market in anticipation of the UCI either lowering or doing away with bike weight limits.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Dimma wrote: in anticipation of the UCI either lowering or doing away with bike weight limits.
Here's hoping that doesn't happen. It's one of their better rules. The sport should be about the athlete not the bike.
An excellent way to increase costs and reduce durability in an already expensive sport would be to eliminate the weight limit.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:45 pm

I'm not advocating any change, but if it did happen Trek wouldn't be as well positioned as some other manufacturers pre Emonda.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:06 pm

I see no problem with eliminating the weight restriction. As new technologies become discovered lighter weight will always be a possibility. What's is needed is a standardised stress/durability test that will ensure that the frames are made to withstand the rigours of the road and a very fit rider.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:20 pm

ball bearing wrote:I see no problem with eliminating the weight restriction. As new technologies become discovered lighter weight will always be a possibility. What's is needed is a standardised stress/durability test that will ensure that the frames are made to withstand the rigours of the road and a very fit rider.
That would be a sensible idea.

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Dimma wrote:
rearviewmirror wrote:
I don't think anything has been announced, but I believe they'll keep the 7 Series only from next year.
Trek are obviously trying to build some cred in the lightweight market in anticipation of the UCI either lowering or doing away with bike weight limits.

From trek world 2014. Road.cc website.
“The big question is where the Émonda leaves the Madone”, Chris said, and we had been wondering. The answer? Out on its ear, largely. Everything from the 3 Series Madone to the 6 Series Madone has been removed from the range. The three levels of Émonda frame go into the gap.

That leaves the Madone as a 2 Series option with an Alpha Aluminium frame, and the top-end 7 Series frame will still be available too.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Homo Suburbiensis wrote:From trek world 2014. Road.cc website.
“The big question is where the Émonda leaves the Madone”, Chris said, and we had been wondering. The answer? Out on its ear, largely. Everything from the 3 Series Madone to the 6 Series Madone has been removed from the range. The three levels of Émonda frame go into the gap.

That leaves the Madone as a 2 Series option with an Alpha Aluminium frame, and the top-end 7 Series frame will still be available too.
well that's crap. most madones you see are 4-6. the emonda is more exxy. people would go elsewhere

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Maximum rider weight is 90kg. It's stated in the video in the link on OP

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:06 am

Andy wrote:Maximum rider weight is 90kg. It's stated in the video in the link on OP
90kg max and they are going to build it in a 62cm frame? haha

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
Andy wrote:Maximum rider weight is 90kg. It's stated in the video in the link on OP
90kg max and they are going to build it in a 62cm frame? haha
Only on the SLR 10, I believe...because of the Tune components.

Sam

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 pm

The irony of someone >90kg wanting that bike to begin with.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:33 am

rearviewmirror wrote:
well it's an easy way to keep the bike+rider package under 100kgs :D

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:38 am

rearviewmirror wrote:
i'm 90kg, i want that bike.

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:49 am

mitchy_ wrote:
rearviewmirror wrote:
90 is not >90.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:59 am

rearviewmirror wrote:90 is not >90.
90 + shoes + clothing + whatever is in your jersey pockets is >90

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:59 am

rearviewmirror wrote:
mitchy_ wrote:
rearviewmirror wrote: The irony of someone >90kg wanting that bike to begin with.
90 is not >90.
:roll:

i just weighed myself, 90.3... guess i am over 90.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:12 am

mitchy_ wrote:i just weighed myself, 90.3... guess i am over 90.
i tell you what mitchy - you buy yourself one and i'll ride it til you are under 90kgs :D

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:29 am

jasonc wrote:
i tell you what mitchy - you buy yourself one and i'll ride it til you are under 90kgs :D
hahaha. if that's not incentive to lose weight, i dont know what is :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:36 am

mitchy_ wrote:
jasonc wrote:
hahaha. if that's not incentive to lose weight, i dont know what is :lol:
as long as you can get it in a 60 top tube bike

trek52

Postby trek52 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:39 pm

its a wank, my Focus Ilzaco Max is a lighter frame and fork.......