Bontrager Race X Lite TLR Wheelset

Duck!
Expert

Re: Bontrager Race X Lite TLR Wheelset

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Is the valve seated nice & snug in the rim? I detest valve nuts on tubes, 'cos all they do is rattle, but on tubeless valves they're essential to pull the valve base really snugly into the hole to seal.

Also ensure the tyre is properly seated on the rim beads; if it hasn'r "popped" all the way around it will leak. Even moreso than tubed tyres, check the bead moulding line is 1mm or so clear of the rim sidwall and even all around. If necessary, fully deflate, push the tyre beads down into the centre channel & reinflate. You should hear a loud *snap!* as the beads lock into place.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:07 pm

Duck! wrote: Is the valve seated nice & snug in the rim? I detest valve nuts on tubes, 'cos all they do is rattle, but on tubeless valves they're essential to pull the valve base really snugly into the hole to seal.
Thanks Duck!. I did check the valve this morning, the core rather than the connection to the rim. Going to get another core today - reckon you might be onto something there.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Put some soapy water in a spray bottle - like a drop of dish washing liquid is pleanty.

Pump your tyre up and spray it liberaly with the soapy water solution. You'll soon see where its leaking from as it'll blow bubbles from the problem area.

It could be the valve not tight enough or the core loose, or it could be that you arn't running any sealant and have a pin hole in the tyre somewhere or the tyres can often be a bit pourous meaning they don't hold air well - if you arn't running sealant, I would. Tubeless is pointless without sealant.

Even with it - it isn't a great solution but I've had no problems getting them to seal.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks Jacks. Yeah they have sealant in - the Bontrager stuff. Tyres were fitted by a LBS Trek dealer. If the new core doesn't fix the slow leak I will try the soapy water. The LBS have been great so will no doubt be happy have another go at sealing it. :D

The front hasn't given me any grief at all, and as you say, stays inflated without refilling for a couple of weeks.
Gordon

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 pm

I bet you put tubes in them pretty soon :-)

After telling you I'd never had an issue with mine sealing, my rear was dead flat today. The locknut on the valve was a bit loose, tightened it up and tyre inflated first go with the compressor (wouldn't inflate with the floor pump).

I just want to wear out the rest of my tubeless tyres so I can bin them and not feel bad about it. They really aren't worth the trouble.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:50 am

jacks1071 wrote:I bet you put tubes in them pretty soon :-)

After telling you I'd never had an issue with mine sealing, my rear was dead flat today. The locknut on the valve was a bit loose, tightened it up and tyre inflated first go with the compressor (wouldn't inflate with the floor pump).

I just want to wear out the rest of my tubeless tyres so I can bin them and not feel bad about it. They really aren't worth the trouble.
haha... the rear was still inflated this morning after a ride last night. Put a new valve core in yesterday. If the rear does continue to deflate I may eventually go back to a tube. While the front tyre is behaving itself it's staying tubeless though. :D
Gordon