Bontrager Race X Lite TLR Wheelset

flashpixx

Bontrager Race X Lite TLR Wheelset

Postby flashpixx » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Any issues (broken spokes??) Wt 1,440g Compared to Bontrager Race TLR Wt 1,700g?

Compared to Shimano C35?? (yeah I know a different construction - and $300 more expensive, and similar weight to the Std Bonty Race Wheellset which I have now)
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Wags71

Re: Bontrager Race X Lite TLR Wheelset

Postby Wags71 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Have a set after having the race version no problems at all spin up well flex a little bit but I'm 100kg so most things will!

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:55 pm

Wags71 wrote:Have a set after having the race version no problems at all spin up well flex a little bit but I'm 100kg so most things will!
Thanks for replying. Wortwhile upgrade from the race? You have 22+ kg on me :P
Gordon

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:42 am

Save your pennies, flash. I'm using the Aura 5s that have the same hub, after coming from the Race (I think? Stock Madone 5), and honestly, yeah it's better but I think you'd do much better just hanging a while longer and get something more aero... the SwissSide Hadron wheels for example, or Aura 5s if you want to stay Trek. IMO you're better off getting something far better for the flats, because at 100kgs your bike isn't pulling you down the hill. But aero efficiency on the flat will help you be fresher for the climb - ESPECIALLY if you are running solo. I won't suggest full carbon tubs because that's another argument. But once you add tyres and cassette, your 1700gm wheels are 2.1kgs, vs 1800gms, and suddenly the upgrade isn't so attractive. Aero is harder to sell, but a free 1-2kmh isn't.

Wags71

Postby Wags71 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:36 pm

To be honest like Explora mentioned I would probably go a set of swissside hardons, c35's or Aeolus 3''s for similar or less money, I just had a weak moment after a service one day!

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Perhaps Aura 5 or Shimano C35. Aeolus 3 seem way out of my price range, at least looking at pricing on Trek website.
Gordon

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:55 pm

^^^ Aeolus is not weight limited (no offence, but that's got to be a plus for anyone around 100kgs - you want reliability for that kind of cash), but more importantly it's an investment you could take to the next bike and the next bike. They pop up second hand (my Aura 5's were NOS) and the Bontragers aren't that bad on price. I think a lot of it is that they don't get changed every 12 months so owners don't have to buy new ones constantly like the Zipps... less 2nd hand options.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:35 am

Hi Flash,

I have a set of Race X Lites on my Domane and a set of Race lites on another bike that use for racing. I have also had a set of Aura 3's but unfortunately wrote them off in an accident (not an indication on wheel quality at all, it was a substantial accident).

The Aeolus 3's are magnificent. I'm not a lightweight (103kg) but they roll beautiful and really hold their speed. My set were insured but I ended up buying a cheaper bike to race on and didn't insure it so I haven't bought another set.

RXL - I love these. These have the DT Swiss Hubs and also roll beautifully. I can tell the difference to other sets how good these wheels are. I have had no maintenance issues.

RL's - Came on my replacement bike (after my accident) and ended up on my racing bike as the rim cracked on the Shimano C'35's that came with it. I only race D grade but these have performed very well in racing. I had a set of Zonda's on my last bike and would compare the RL's to them (personal opinion). Not as good as the RXL's (as you would expect), but a very serviceable wheel.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Wags71 wrote:To be honest like Explora mentioned I would probably go a set of swissside hardons...
:lol:

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Xplora wrote:^^^ Aeolus is not weight limited (no offence, but that's got to be a plus for anyone around 100kgs - you want reliability for that kind of cash), but more importantly it's an investment you could take to the next bike and the next bike. They pop up second hand (my Aura 5's were NOS) and the Bontragers aren't that bad on price. I think a lot of it is that they don't get changed every 12 months so owners don't have to buy new ones constantly like the Zipps... less 2nd hand options.
Thanks Explora I'm 78 kg and shrinking so the weight issue isn't for me. Aeolus RRP is as amuch as the Domane! I would prefer to but new, but would never let a great deal pass should one come up.
Gordon

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:00 pm

bianchi928 wrote:Hi Flash,

I have a set of Race X Lites on my Domane and a set of Race lites on another bike that use for racing. I have also had a set of Aura 3's but unfortunately wrote them off in an accident (not an indication on wheel quality at all, it was a substantial accident).

The Aeolus 3's are magnificent. I'm not a lightweight (103kg) but they roll beautiful and really hold their speed. My set were insured but I ended up buying a cheaper bike to race on and didn't insure it so I haven't bought another set.

RXL - I love these. These have the DT Swiss Hubs and also roll beautifully. I can tell the difference to other sets how good these wheels are. I have had no maintenance issues.

RL's - Came on my replacement bike (after my accident) and ended up on my racing bike as the rim cracked on the Shimano C'35's that came with it. I only race D grade but these have performed very well in racing. I had a set of Zonda's on my last bike and would compare the RL's to them (personal opinion). Not as good as the RXL's (as you would expect), but a very serviceable wheel.
Hi bianchi928

Thanks for this, excellent. Not much difference in price between the RXL, C35 and Aura. Haven't been to my Trek dealer yet so negotiating on price might yield something better than RRP. I do like the idea of staying with Trek/Bonty.
Gordon

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Your Trek dealer DOES have some wriggle room. They retail 1400, they can come down to 1100 if they want. They don't want to, so 1200 might be the ticket. Make sure you get the newest ones, not the older j-spoke versions. New ones have the tubeless rim, which is quite attractive as an option.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Xplora wrote:Your Trek dealer DOES have some wriggle room. They retail 1400, they can come down to 1100 if they want. They don't want to, so 1200 might be the ticket. Make sure you get the newest ones, not the older j-spoke versions. New ones have the tubeless rim, which is quite attractive as an option.
Are you referring to Aura or RXL? Thanks for this :-)
Gordon

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:25 pm

I'm talking the Aura 5, unsure what the price is for the RXL. But like I said before, I wouldn't bother with RXL because it doesn't make you go much faster like the carbon fairing does. Same freehub, I'm guessing same hub on both. You won't ride in the conditions that make the 50mm rim unsafe. My 2nd or 3rd ride was the Gong ride from Sydney and I was getting pushed a foot from gusts in a strong crosswind, had to slow from 60 on a descent to 40 to control the bike on the ride home, but I'd had 150 hard kms before that point as well, with another 50 to go :idea: It wasn't the wheels, it was terrible conditions and I prefer to get home safe if there isn't any prize money on the line.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Xplora wrote:I'm talking the Aura 5, unsure what the price is for the RXL. But like I said before, I wouldn't bother with RXL because it doesn't make you go much faster like the carbon fairing does. Same freehub, I'm guessing same hub on both. You won't ride in the conditions that make the 50mm rim unsafe. My 2nd or 3rd ride was the Gong ride from Sydney and I was getting pushed a foot from gusts in a strong crosswind, had to slow from 60 on a descent to 40 to control the bike on the ride home, but I'd had 150 hard kms before that point as well, with another 50 to go :idea: It wasn't the wheels, it was terrible conditions and I prefer to get home safe if there isn't any prize money on the line.
OK Thanks Xplora :D

From Trek Website:

Aura 5 $1,450 1,720g

RXL $1,250 1,440 g

From my limited experience and observations the things that distinguish wheelsets appear to be:

1. Stiffness
2. Weight
3. Aerodynamics

These then impact:
4. Ability to spin up
5. Ability to maintain speed

All of these determine price :P
Gordon

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:57 pm

My guess is that they are identical wheels, and the carbon fairing weighs 300gms. At my price point (I paid 750 for my Auras, and another 130 for the Campy hub after 9 months), and my dislike of carbon brake tracks, aerodynamics is the biggest thing, with some concern about stiffness. Just can't get the Aura style under 1600gms for any price (and I just eat enough fibre to take a dump when I get out of bed if the 120gms is that important), and the aero benefits are crazy if you're a reasonably strong rider - AKA anyone who doesn't avoid taking a turn. 35kmh+, it's all gravy. I'm saving 20W of effort in race conditions. That's worth 10 minutes at VO2Max to me.

Just sharing my experiences, because I know where you are coming from. I'm not interested in climbing, everything I do needs flat pace, and I'm 73kgs of scrawny runt on the saddle. Can't survive a proper climb, better to be strong on the flat.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:23 pm

Xplora wrote:My guess is that they are identical wheels, and the carbon fairing weighs 300gms. At my price point (I paid 750 for my Auras, and another 130 for the Campy hub after 9 months), and my dislike of carbon brake tracks, aerodynamics is the biggest thing, with some concern about stiffness. Just can't get the Aura style under 1600gms for any price (and I just eat enough fibre to take a dump when I get out of bed if the 120gms is that important), and the aero benefits are crazy if you're a reasonably strong rider - AKA anyone who doesn't avoid taking a turn. 35kmh+, it's all gravy. I'm saving 20W of effort in race conditions. That's worth 10 minutes at VO2Max to me.

Just sharing my experiences, because I know where you are coming from. I'm not interested in climbing, everything I do needs flat pace, and I'm 73kgs of scrawny runt on the saddle. Can't survive a proper climb, better to be strong on the flat.
I don't race, looking to enter some Sportif, and I'm doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer in October. I'm a recreational rider, and I'm my own worst enemy. :lol: I guess at 55 I should recognise this in myself and slow down... hasn't happened yet and I expect I will be pushing myself until I cark it (meaning until I'm old not pushing myself to death :lol: )
Gordon

flashpixx

Re: Shimano RS 81 C50

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:52 pm

How would these compare to the Aura 5's??

Can be had for $1,129 + fitting
Gordon

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:59 pm

Spent the weekend at the LBS trying out wheels.

In the end went with the Bontrager RXL with tubeless Bontrager R3 tyres. Difference compared to the Race with tubed R3 is significant. Put 50km on the wheels and am very happy with my decision. Got a great deal plus made the guys at the LBS quite sick of me :?
Gordon

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks to Xplora and Bianch928 for your thoughts.

In the end I went with RXL wheels as after much consideration I doubt that I would get the best benefit from aero wheels (I'm, not that fast) and to be honest the Aura 5 aren't the best example.

The biggest difference, and what has provided the best outcome for me is the tubeless tyres. It has turned the already quite comfy Domane into an armchair!!
Gordon

flashpixx

Re: Bontrager Race X Lite TLR Wheelset - Review

Postby flashpixx » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:33 pm

After having the RXL wheelset and Road 3 Tubeless tyres for 2 months and around 900 km I can say that I really like the ride quality and speed, but wish the tyres would stay pumped up!!

The front wheel sealed nicely and after an initial 3 weeks of topping up before every ride, only needs the ocassional top up. The rear however has been in for a replacement rim tape, but still refuses to stay up. I'll give it one more go, then I'm thinking I might replace the rear tubeless with a tubed Road 3.

It really is a shame as the ride compared to tubed tyres on the original Race rims is chalk and cheese. The advantages include the obvious instant benefit of a lovely smooth ride, the wheels spin up and maintain speed wonderfully, and stability at speed is great. Slow speed manouvering through ped chicanery is simple, where with the Race rims/Tubed Road3 I found myself wobbling, turning too quickly, over correcting, and generally looking like I might fall over at any time.

The obvious disadvantage is the rear going flat. In saying that I've not experienced any problem over the duration of a 5 hour ride, it takes around 12 hours for the pressure to drop from 100 to 70 psi, and another 12 hours to go totally flat.

It's back to the LBS to get it looked at, with fingers crossed that it's 3 times lucky. :D
Gordon

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:55 pm

12 hours isn't acceptable, but 24 is OK. Are you feeling the tyre go bad, or are you checking it every time? Reason I ask is that your bum is on the rear and will notice the change much more than the front with the hands.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Xplora wrote: Are you feeling the tyre go bad, or are you checking it every time? .
checking with the pump. A squeeze with the fingers is enough to tell there is a loss of pressure - pump tells how much.

Like I said I've had no problems during a 5 hour ride - still up around 80+ PSI, from 100 PSI.
Gordon

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Yeah 80 isn't good enough over 160kms, back to the shop. Stuff is too expensive to accept that.

jacks1071

Re: Bontrager Race X Lite TLR Wheelset - Review

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:15 pm

flashpixx wrote:After having the RXL wheelset and Road 3 Tubeless tyres for 2 months and around 900 km I can say that I really like the ride quality and speed, but wish the tyres would stay pumped up!!
Have you got sealant in them?

I havn't pumped up my road tubless tyres for 2-weeks.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"