Cannondale Lifetime warranty doesn't cover breakages

warthog1

Re: Cannondale Lifetime warranty doesn't cover breakages

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Nobody wrote:I can understand with race equipment that long-term reliability isn't part of the race equation. But it doesn't explain having the same attitude to everything they sell.

The deceptive way the warranties have been worded, which appear to feed assumptions about the way some frames used to be warranted, while actually offering little real commitment, is poor form IMO. Surly's warranty might not offer much/any more than the ones cited previously, but at least they don't appear to be pretending otherwise with clever wording.
FRAMESET WARRANTY
Surly[TRADE MARK SIGN] frames and forks are guaranteed to be free from manufacturing defects for three
years
from the original date of purchase. If we screwed up something in the manufacturing
process that resulted in the premature failure of the product, we’ll fix or replace it at our
discretion. This warranty is for the original buyer of the product and is not transferable. It
should go without saying that we won’t even consider your warranty problem without a
dated proof-of-purchase.
This warranty doesn’t cover damage resulting from any sort of riding other than “normal”
riding, and the inevitable wear and tear resulting from “normal” use. Surly
products are built to be used vigorously, and we wouldn’t expect you to treat them gently.
However, we can’t be responsible for the inherent danger to body and property you face
each time you throw your leg over the top tube. We’re hip to the “just riding along” phenomenon
- and frankly, we’re just not having it.
Sorry, the paintjob isn’t covered, nor is any damage that happens to you or your other
components as a result of any failure of one of our products. Lastly, if you modify or
neglect our products, we can’t be responsible for them or what might happen to you while
you’re using them. We hate to spell it out, but hey, it’s the 21st Century. We’re known to
back up our products, but we’ve seen too many peoples’ parts come back to us that were
not defective and did not meet our warranty guidelines. Save yourself some time and
shipping money by reading this and making a decision for yourself. If you and your shop
think your Surly product is worthy of a warranty inspection, please return the
product to the original place of purchase, accompanied by a sales receipt. In the unlikely
event that this is not possible, call or email us and we’ll do our best to get you riding again.
http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downloads ... rranty.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1
Full marks to Surly for speaking in plain language and keeping the bovine poo to a minimum. As a buyer that would give me confidence that I know what to expect as far as warranty coverage goes. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:44 pm

im_no_pro wrote:would you ask Toyota to replace your car after 15 years because you had driven it 300,000km's and the engine bearings were shot?

I'd say no.
I'd say yes, if Toyota offered a "lifetime warranty". But they don't.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:19 am

Howzat wrote:I'd say yes, if Toyota offered a "lifetime warranty". But they don't.
Disagree. Engine bearings are like disc brake pads and tyres. They are a wear items that just need replacing.

Having said that, I believe if a Toyota car body cracked during a warranty period, it should be repaired by Toyota. IMO a frame is not a wear item and shouldn't fail within the first 20 years of use. But bike manufacturers are now making frames that are ultra-light and do fail regularly within 10 years if used enough. So informed consumers have the choice to either buy something with a reputation for durability, or take their chances by relying on the warranty. I chose the former.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:08 am

warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:I can understand with race equipment that long-term reliability isn't part of the race equation. But it doesn't explain having the same attitude to everything they sell.

The deceptive way the warranties have been worded, which appear to feed assumptions about the way some frames used to be warranted, while actually offering little real commitment, is poor form IMO. Surly's warranty might not offer much/any more than the ones cited previously, but at least they don't appear to be pretending otherwise with clever wording.
FRAMESET WARRANTY
Surly[TRADE MARK SIGN] frames and forks are guaranteed to be free from manufacturing defects for three
years
from the original date of purchase. If we screwed up something in the manufacturing
process that resulted in the premature failure of the product, we’ll fix or replace it at our
discretion. This warranty is for the original buyer of the product and is not transferable. It
should go without saying that we won’t even consider your warranty problem without a
dated proof-of-purchase.
This warranty doesn’t cover damage resulting from any sort of riding other than “normal”
riding, and the inevitable wear and tear resulting from “normal” use. Surly
products are built to be used vigorously, and we wouldn’t expect you to treat them gently.
However, we can’t be responsible for the inherent danger to body and property you face
each time you throw your leg over the top tube. We’re hip to the “just riding along” phenomenon
- and frankly, we’re just not having it.
Sorry, the paintjob isn’t covered, nor is any damage that happens to you or your other
components as a result of any failure of one of our products. Lastly, if you modify or
neglect our products, we can’t be responsible for them or what might happen to you while
you’re using them. We hate to spell it out, but hey, it’s the 21st Century. We’re known to
back up our products, but we’ve seen too many peoples’ parts come back to us that were
not defective and did not meet our warranty guidelines. Save yourself some time and
shipping money by reading this and making a decision for yourself. If you and your shop
think your Surly product is worthy of a warranty inspection, please return the
product to the original place of purchase, accompanied by a sales receipt. In the unlikely
event that this is not possible, call or email us and we’ll do our best to get you riding again.
http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downloads ... rranty.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1
Full marks to Surly for speaking in plain language and keeping the bovine poo to a minimum. As a buyer that would give me confidence that I know what to expect as far as warranty coverage goes. :)
Ah, another victim of Surly's marketing spin. :) :) :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:25 am

Nobody wrote:
Howzat wrote:I'd say yes, if Toyota offered a "lifetime warranty". But they don't.
Disagree. Engine bearings are like disc brake pads and tyres. They are a wear items that just need replacing.

Having said that, I believe if a Toyota car body cracked during a warranty period, it should be repaired by Toyota.
Having worked for several years as a Toyota warranty manager I can back what Nobody says. Normal wear is not covered by warranty, however abnormal wear and failure most definitely are. And it was not unusual for Toyota to accept claims on vehicles well beyond the normal warranty period when a claim was well presented and argued. A claim for a frame failure would definitely attract the attention of the state warranty manager and he would likely involve the engineering department.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Ry

Postby Ry » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:11 am

Just went through Cannondale's warranty process. 2011 SuperSix frame developed a crack at the join of the bottom bracket and the seat tube. They admitted fault immediately and replaced my frame with a 2013 SuperSix about 6 weeks later. A little slower than I'd like to, but they certainly didn't try to squirm out of it.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:02 pm

about to start the merry go round, discovered today that my bike has a nice big crack in the seat tube, oh well thats life, will see what happens.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:07 pm

No warranty for me, so off to buy a new frame/bike grrrr
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:27 pm

I am suprised by this. The consumer protection laws in Australia provide for implied warranties. I would think that if you apply some pressure you should get a favourable outcome, but may depend on the age of your bike (particularly if purchased before 1 January 2011).

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Bakks wrote:I am suprised by this. The consumer protection laws in Australia provide for implied warranties. I would think that if you apply some pressure you should get a favourable outcome, but may depend on the age of your bike (particularly if purchased before 1 January 2011).
What's the issue with purchasing before 1 January 2011? Prior to the new consumer legislation coming in there was the Trade Practices Act which covered most of what is covered now.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm

mikgit wrote:No warranty for me, so off to buy a new frame/bike grrrr
Did they say why? How old was the bike?

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:44 pm

2012 synapse. the old seatpole meeting the curve in the seat tube. ALthouhgh I never made any alterations to the pole, all that was done by the store I bought it from.
Anyway, i'll be buying something else, maybe someone will want to buy a cheap frame they can repair.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Bad design IMO, just like the Giant Defy Composite/Advance.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 009/57403/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm

yep, the thread where someone did the same thing (well almost the same thing), had me worried but didn't really think twice about it. TillI figured it was time to give it a clean (has 850km on it now), thought I thought I cleaned the seat tube...oh, damn.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 pm

mikgit wrote:2012 synapse. the old seatpole meeting the curve in the seat tube. ALthouhgh I never made any alterations to the pole, all that was done by the store I bought it from.
Anyway, i'll be buying something else, maybe someone will want to buy a cheap frame they can repair.
I'd be going after the shop for that.

I can understand Cannondale refusing it, but you really should be holding the shop accountable. Pretty poor setup from them.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Yeah, but can't be bothered, store is 2000km away. Who's to say I didn't do stuff to it... Not `100% sure the seatpole damagaed the frame, I'm 90% sure it did when there was an "issue" when I bought it... thats life.
What is impressive, from first look, it seems it is cheaper to buy a whole new bike and part out the groupset than participate in the frame exchange discount, handy that.
Whatever happens, no more aero post/seat tubes for me, thanks.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Option B is to have the frame repaired in Melbourne by Luescher Teknik (sp?). The guy has ultrasound equipment to check frames are not victim to further hidden damage prior to repair, and he warrants his work for 5 years. His background is in aircraft composites and non-destructive testing of same.

And it's a really good way to annoy Cannondale - they *hate* having repaired frames in circulation!

A mate of mine had it done on his Scalpel 26er, I must say the repair is impossible to see unless you have it pointed out to you, and then it's still difficult. This is bare carbon under gloss clearcoat. $400 or thereabouts.

This is one of the upsides that made me relent on my anti-carbon stance ... it is possible to get really good quality repairs done, which are impossible with alloy.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:34 pm

trailgumby wrote:And it's a really good way to annoy Cannondale - they *hate* having repaired frames in circulation!
What? Don't they like the perpetual Crack'n'fale tag? :P
trailgumby wrote:A mate of mine had it done on his Scalpel 26er, I must say the repair is impossible to see unless you have it pointed out to you, and then it's still difficult. This is bare carbon under gloss clearcoat. $400 or thereabouts.

This is one of the upsides that made me relent on my anti-carbon stance ... it is possible to get really good quality repairs done, which are impossible with alloy.
You had an anti-carbon stance? :o Oh yeah, there was that short period of time that... :wink:

Have you seen any of the Gripsport repairs? I don't know what they are like, just asking.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Nobody wrote:Have you seen any of the Gripsport repairs? I don't know what they are like, just asking.
I have. Spent over an hour shooting the breeze with Jon when I went to get something done a while back.

Quality work on the dozen or so bikes I saw in his shed.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:27 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Nobody wrote:Have you seen any of the Gripsport repairs? I don't know what they are like, just asking.
I have. Spent over an hour shooting the breeze with Jon when I went to get something done a while back.

Quality work on the dozen or so bikes I saw in his shed.
Thanks for the reply Shaun. :) I suspected as much, but wasn't sure. Good to know that both Al and C can be repaired well for those that have expensive frames.

I found the following quote from Gripsport's site about disc brake mounts interesting. Apparently steel is still real (although I'm probably not allowed to say that. :P )
Gripsport wrote:And we can even fit disc mounts to some front forks - but ONLY to rigid forks and ONLY if they’re CrMo or Steel - don’t ever let anyone near Aluminium forks with a welder unless you’ve got really good health insurance!
http://www.gripsport.com.au/service/disc-brake-mounts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;