Cannondale CAAD8 vs CAAD10 vs Supersix 105

PYLee

Cannondale CAAD8 vs CAAD10 vs Supersix 105

Postby PYLee » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the market for my first proper road bike , I was riding an old steel road bike before this and decided to step up the game.

I've looked around and research over the internet and the Cannondale bikes seem to be the one to go with. Great frames with good groupsets for an affordable price.

My question now is , deciding between the range that Cannondale has to offer.

I'm looking at the Cannondale CAAD8 , CAAD10 and Supersix, they will all be with the 105 groupsets.

I understand that the CAAD8 and CAAD10 are alum frames and the Supersix being full carbon , and the CAAD8 is more comfort oriented compared to the CAAD10(which is has the same geometry as the Supersix)

Being my first road bike , would it be advise for me to go with their more entry level bikes like the CAAD8 or should I go with the CAAD10/Supersix instead of upgrading in the future ?

A little background about me. I'm 26 years old, 178cm and about 88kg. I've signed up for Bupa Around the Bay 100kms ride this October so I will be training for that. Potentially looking at doing more charity rides in the future.

I understand that the price difference between a CAAD8 and a Supersix is pretty big but I'm able to stretch my budget for the Supersix. Just want to get some opinions if a Supersix would be overkill for my needs.

Thanks guys

macca33

Re: Cannondale CAAD8 vs CAAD10 vs Supersix 105

Postby macca33 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:56 pm

I have a CAAD10 3 (Ultegra) and it is a fantastic bike. I reckon the CAAD 8, whilst very nice, is a little underdone - the framset is not as good. I've never ridden a Super6, but am led to believe they are very nice bikes.

The CAAD10 is a nice ride - I ride many crappy country roads (rides up to 100Km) with 260Km in a single day, over 4 separate rides and have felt good after each ride - they are not too harsh, despite what many will say.

I reckon either a CAAD10 Ultegra goupset, or the Super6 105 - they'll probably cost out at a similar level.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

blixpho

Postby blixpho » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Internet research is all good and fine. But it really pays to go ride a few brands before making up your mind. Not that the cannondales are no good.

I was set on the giant defy a month ago until i went out testing and in the end I enjoyed the trek madone 2.1 the best.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:28 pm

All three bikes fitted with BB30 bottom brackets.
Wouldn't buy one (another one) in a pink fit.
Look elsewhere.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:34 pm

I looked into the CAAD8/CAAD10 as a replacement for my dented CAAD4(?). I came to the conclusion that there's not much between the two. The CAAD8 is slightly heavier and has a longer headtube (so a slightly less aggressive riding position). I've not actually ridden either (and I think blixpho is on the money about riding before deciding), but on paper the CAAD8 looked just fine.

In your position (I'm a similar height/weight) I'd look carefully at wheels. I've had some bad luck with cheaper wheels; they don't necessarily get on well with heavier riders. Rather than buy a different model, I'd be tempted to budget an extra $500 or so for a separate wheelset. I'm well and truly over out-of-true wheels and broken spokes, so $500 for wheels that won't give me grief is probably a bigger deal than the pretty subtle differences between this frame or that. Just a thought...

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Let me explain BB30;

The cartridge bearings are pressed into the frame shell. This makes owner servicing and replacement difficult without expensive special tools.
The pressed bearings are prone to movement within the frame shell creating creaking and cracking noises and accelerated wear on the shell surface. This is a very common problem, do an internet search. A stop gap solution is to Loctite the bearings in place. It may or may not fix the problem. It worked on one of my Cannondale bikes but not another. Either way, a creaking BB is a PITA.
The cartridge bearings are very poorly sealed against water and road grime. They are prone to rapid wear under wet conditions. Cannondale Aust. service manager admitted to me that one long heavily wet ride could chew out the bearings in a single go.
Just my, and many other's experience with BB30.
Oh, and Cannondale are often very difficult and uncooperative to deal with on warranty claims.

jpgibson

Postby jpgibson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Depends on how much you want to spend.
I just bought a bargain secondhand Supersix EVO hi mod frame and built it up with the bits ( basically all Ultegra inc wheelset) from my Six13 frame ( which has gone to a new ( better!) home.
Buy the best you can afford.The Six13 was the best bike I'd ever ridden and owned ( OK, I havent ridden a lot) , and that includes an Argon 18 Radon , Wilier Izoard and BMC Team Elite 02-until I got the EVO.
The EVO handles beautifully and is comfortable ( helps with 25 tyres at 95psi). My other option was a CAAD 10 with Dura Ace which would have cost around $2000 ( secondhand). I also considered CAAD 8 and build up with the bits from the Six 13.
A secondhand CAAD 10 maybe. I'm not sure why BB30 is seen as bad by some- my bike has inserts so I could use my Shimano crank( now I am, just sw the above post!)
Good luck with the purchase: buy the one you like the look of.

PYLee

Postby PYLee » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks for all your input guys.

After reading more about the BB30 , seems like it's quite a common problem with bikes with BB30. Though saying that , many people have had their CAAD and Supersix for couple years with no problems at all.

I have tried the Specialized Allez and CAAD10 Ultegra so far , felt more confident on the CAAD10.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:49 pm

You can forgo the special tools :P All you need is a nice m6 threaded rod with 3 nuts (2 for a locknut set up) & 2 big washers - 2 spanners and the right size sockets (2 to just fit the outer race of a bearing, one to fit over. You can 'improvise' a bearing press to set bearings. To remove? A soft headed mallet and the same m6 rod capped with a piece of nylon :) A few gentle taps placed evenly around from the inside and out the bearing comes. I had a long look at buying the tools for bb30 but it was at least $90 for a press and $40 for a puller.

OK its a bit of 'bush mechanics' but when your pressed (no pun intended) for time and money it can work as long as you take care. I had originally used this techinique for my motorbikes to replace shot wheelbearings after I was taught by my mechanic. It worked on removing my BB30 adaptor and setting new bearings from my Dale'.

However I do not recommend for full carbon BB30 shells. Thankfully neither the CAAD or supersix's not have these :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Here is a thread on bb30 removal and installation
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=59281
Despite some of my comments in there it wasn't that hard after following Dr Mutley's advice :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:13 pm

warthog1 wrote:Here is a thread on bb30 removal and installation
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=59281
Despite some of my comments in there it wasn't that hard after following Dr Mutley's advice :)
Thats perfect! :D

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 pm

TMjpn wrote:
Dr Mutley is a top bloke for putting pictures in. Made me confident to have a go.
For me that was a lot of money to spend on a bike and I did not want to wreck it so there was a bit of trepidation. :oops: :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:
TMjpn wrote:
Dr Mutley is a top bloke for putting pictures in. Made me confident to have a go.
For me that was a lot of money to spend on a bike and I did not want to wreck it so there was a bit of trepidation. :oops: :)
Same for me - punching out the old bb30 to BSA adaptor in a frame meant voiding the warranty. So it took some stupidity mixed with fortitude (and a bb30 carbon crankset sitting around doing nothing) to finally give it a go - and it worked a treat! That bike taught me lots of things about maintenance! And its still going strong :D

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Excatly why I still get Pro-Lite to build the Australian road frames with an english threaded bb.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

PYLee

Postby PYLee » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:48 pm

End up going with the 2013 Supersix 5 105 , had a pretty good deal which was only $200 more than the CAAD10 105 so i went ahead with it , instead of wanting to upgrade to a carbon frame in the future

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:10 pm

PYLee wrote:End up going with the 2013 Supersix 5 105 , had a pretty good deal which was only $200 more than the CAAD10 105 so i went ahead with it , instead of wanting to upgrade to a carbon frame in the future

Saw your pic in the 'Show us your Cannondale' thread mate - it looks VERY nice and you look as though you scored a bargain in the mix - enjoy!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

PYLee

Postby PYLee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:47 pm

thanks mate , I sure did :)

looking at getting some new wheels to replace them RS10s already !