Recall of Cannondale Slice RS Competition Time Trial Bicycle

Aushiker

Recall of Cannondale Slice RS Competition Time Trial Bicycle

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:49 am

Cannondale Slice RS Competition Time Trial Bicycles, model year 2013 have been recalled by Product Safety Recalls Australia in-cooperation with the Cycling Sports Group due to an issue with they way the brake plates have been attached to the forks or rather not.

Product Safety Recalls Australia are advising that there is a risk that the Cannondale Slice RS Competition Time Trial Bicycle may have brakes that have not been attached to the forks correctly. They are advising that on some bicycles the adhesive used to attach the brake plates to the forks has been omitted. Where this has occurred the brake plates are only attached to the frame with a pair of rivets. If the bicycle has the defect it may cause a brake system failure. In the worst case scenario this may lead to a bicycle accident resulting in a serious injury or death.

For Australian consumers if you want further information on this recall please contact Cycling Sports Group, i.e., Cannondale. It appears at present that they don’t have a fix, going by the advisory from Product Recalls Australia which states that “Cycling Sports Group is just beginning the process of investigation, working with the vendor on a plan for rectification.”

Further details in my blog posting.

Andrew
Andrew

Summernight

Re: Recall of Cannondale Slice RS Competition Time Trial Bic

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 am

For a video of what can happen when the brake fails due to no adhesive or no rivet attaching the brakes to the fork (which mine has done before):

Luckily I was on the flat and not close to anything in front...

(P.S. This is not a Cannondale, just thought I'd post it so people can see - it is not something you want to have happen when going fast down a hill)

Yankers

Postby Yankers » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:00 am

...sorry I was expecting carnage when I played that video! Very lucky that didn't end badly.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks for sharing the video ... that would be pretty scary indeed.

Andrew
Andrew

Yankers

Postby Yankers » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:10 am

Yeah just to clarify - I am glad that the video didn't have carnage in it - thanks for sharing it.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:52 am

Yankers wrote:...sorry I was expecting carnage when I played that video! Very lucky that didn't end badly.
I'm very glad that it didn't fail 1-2 km back up the road when I was travelling quite quickly down a hill with traffic lights - that wouldn't have ended well!

I tried riding with rear brake only down a hill after that happened (not on the same night) and above a certain speed/hill incline I'm not sure a rim caliper brake could slow a bike down at all (not that I tried going at speed - going barely above a walking pace down an incline using only rear brake to stop was bad enough!).

Yankers

Postby Yankers » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:10 pm

Summernight wrote:
Yankers wrote:...sorry I was expecting carnage when I played that video! Very lucky that didn't end badly.
I'm very glad that it didn't fail 1-2 km back up the road when I was travelling quite quickly down a hill with traffic lights - that wouldn't have ended well!

I tried riding with rear brake only down a hill after that happened (not on the same night) and above a certain speed/hill incline I'm not sure a rim caliper brake could slow a bike down at all (not that I tried going at speed - going barely above a walking pace down an incline using only rear brake to stop was bad enough!).
Yeah, I (stupidly) tried a 'back brake only' setup a few years ago on a bike I restored because I didn't have a front caliper handy with a long enough bolt... big mistake that one, nearly ended up toast on about the 2nd time out

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:01 pm

That would have been scary but seeing as you were ok ... I admit laughed a lot :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:04 pm

the thumping noise was the funny bit

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:31 pm

jasonc wrote:the thumping noise was the funny bit
Yeah, I get that a lot. The boing of the brake as it hits my 100psi tyre does bring a smile now. :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:50 pm

jasonc wrote:the thumping noise was the funny bit
That was Summers heart rattling against her teeth :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011