Cannondale SuperSix 3 Ultegra 2013

VinoVelodrome

Cannondale SuperSix 3 Ultegra 2013

Postby VinoVelodrome » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52 am

Three years ago I bought a new road bike. I didn't know what I was doing. I'd ridden a road bike as a teenager but had then been seduced by MTB land and then had fallen away. I'm now in my mid 40s. I was 76kgs three years ago but I've slowly come down to 67kgs. I was fit three years ago, from running, but biking seems to have made a weight difference. Not sure why, but I'm not complaining.

To the point: I bought a 55cm roadie back then, which was labelled as medium. I take a medium t-shirt so that was good enough for me. I now think this bike should have been labelled M/L, and that my preferred bike size would be more like S/M. We all have an ideal bike size but if forced, I would argue that some of us would settle for fractionally bigger than ideal, while others of us would prefer a slightly smaller than ideal. If that makes sense. What I mean is: we all want the right size but some of us would prefer to err on the side or slightly small, while others of us on the side of slightly big.

Anyway, I would prefer to err on the side of slightly small for me, in the context that I would prefer the ideal size. I mention this because, three years later and about 16,000 kilometres covered, I still find this road bike slightly big for me. We're not hand-in-glove. The brakes still feel a long way away. My arms get tired long before my legs do.

I rarely ride longer than 75 kms in a single ride. Most of my riding is between 30 and 50kms long. I ride a lot of hills/mountains because a lot of hills/mountains are at my doorstep. Occasionally I step up to 90-100kms rides, but it's not my focus. Sprints and mountain climbs are more my interest.

I am considering upgrading to a Cannondale SuperSix 3 Ultegra, 52cm size. I don't love the crank/cassette set up or the stock wheels, but neither are so hard to rectify. I do like the frame, the look, the reviews, and the current clearing prices. Does it sound like a wise upgrade or am I barking up the wrong tree?

jasonc

Re: Cannondale SuperSix 3 Ultegra 2013

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:21 pm

VinoVelodrome wrote:Anyway, I would prefer to err on the side of slightly small for me, in the context that I would prefer the ideal size. I mention this because, three years later and about 16,000 kilometres covered, I still find this road bike slightly big for me. We're not hand-in-glove. The brakes still feel a long way away. My arms get tired long before my legs do.
Go get a biomechanical fit.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Cannondale Supersix's are ripper bikes but I reckon you may as well try for the 11 speed Ultegra 6800 on the 2014 Evo model rather than the 6700 on the 2013 model. I know price may be an obstacle but thats where I'd go if you really like that series of bike.

Also I'd try and upgrade the wheels or see if you can buy it without wheels and then buy something a little better in the wheel dept from Pro Lite or Online or even built.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Ive got a Cannondale SuperSix 3 Ultegra, awesome bike

But I agree 6800 is so far ahead of 6700 they measure it in light years

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Cannondale frame, but that doesn't mean it is the correct geometery for you, take one for a test ride

I find mine exceptionally comfortable and quite stiff in the BB area (when the BB bearings !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! themselves at about 5000km change to SRAM BB30 bearings.....)

They are a very light frame and very stiff for their price IMO

VinoVelodrome

Postby VinoVelodrome » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.
I'm starting to think you're right on the 11 speed Ultegra 6800 Evo version. Problem is that, at current prices, it's out of my budget.
I'm not necessarily attached to (or against) cannondale. Budget is up to $3000. For an all-carbon roadie that will climb well ... any suggestions would be most welcome.

TIA.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:05 pm

The only other bikes that come to mind is the Focus Izalco, maybe either the 2013 Pro series or Ergoride or the 2014 Max series (but might be a little expensive). Haven't ridden one but hear a lot of good things said and they look great.

Edit: Or possibly a Giant TCR Advanced.

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:11 pm

where are you based?
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.