Powermeters for Cannondale Road Bikes???

Kral86

Powermeters for Cannondale Road Bikes???

Postby Kral86 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:34 am

Hello all

I want to get into training with a powermeter on my bike and just wondering which is the better option for the Cannondale Bikes???

The current bike is a 2015-16 Super Six Evo which has PF30 in the bottom bracket and Hollowgram si cranks with the original spider rings.

Cheers

Karl

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Powermeters for Cannondale Road Bikes???

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri May 26, 2017 7:14 am

You'll be able to find something suitable from any of the crank based PM manufacturers with various crank models (SRM, Quarq, Power2Max), if unsure about BB compatibility, just ask them. Naturally the pedal based offerings will work as well as a Powertap hub based meter. Other crank PMs (pioneer, Verve Infocrank) may be suitable depending on BB and crank arm clearance with stays. You'll probably need a BB adapter.

Really you need to focus on what sort of things you want to be able to do with power meter data, as that will determine the data quality required which in turn narrows down (or broadens) the options.

As a rule of thumb I suggest people buy the best quality of data they can afford / within their budget.

Most people starting out don't realise what's possible with the data but they later find out the data they have from their cheap meter isn't up to scratch for assessing things they start to learn about. The one that is probably most going to be of interest is being able to produce accurate power-duration data right across the duration spectrum as there are many useful things this will enable (some of which have not yet been developed as yet). Other sorts of things requiring quality data include aerodynamics assessment, peak pedal force-velocity testing and sprinting assessment.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:56 pm

I have SRM and Power2Max on Hollowgram cranks - both fit perfectly and the advantage of the P2M is they are on sale at present - under $1000.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

vindlecrag

Postby vindlecrag » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:38 am

Stages are available on a Hollowgram crank arm.

There is also a Quarq spider that would attach to your Hollowgram cranks but it isn't as current as Dzero Quarq.

Your PF30 bottom bracket accepts many options of crank with various adaptors so you're actually looking at a difficult decision due to so many options.

If I were you I'd buy a Quarq Dzero crankset with 30mm spindle. This would fit straight into your PF30 bottom bracket and is the latest technology. If that was too expensive then I would get Stages.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:15 pm

I have a BB adaptor in my Cannondale and use a classic Campag square taper SRM.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:08 pm

I have Power2Max on my Cannondale with Rotor 3D+ cranks (BB30). They make a Hollowgram compatible unit, and you can get a 110mm BCD version for 50/34 or 53/36 chainrings. I run 50/34 Praxisworks chainrings.

Mine is the Type S version, which was a replacement for a P2M Classic that failed under warranty due to a design flaw in the battery cover screw mounting. The Type S is a complete redesign that can't snag the cover if you drop a chain to the outside, and with the blind nuts for the retention screws in the cheaply replaceable cover rather than the power meter body like original Classic.

It has been bulletproof so far despite being used in some pretty !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! conditions. Much more robust than my late lamented Quarq S2275, which was equally reliable but sadly broke off the battery compartment in a tumble in a 24hr mountain bike race a couple of months ago and is now probably toast.

The new version out now the NG ("new generation" presumably, not "no good" :lol: ) supposedly has improved precision to +/- 1%.

Hope that helps.