Cannondale warranty gave me an older bike

MrPushy

Cannondale warranty gave me an older bike

Postby MrPushy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:44 pm

Ok all, I just got my bike back after around 2 months of no riding and hanging out really bad to train. First a wheel issue and while that was sent away I found an issue with my frame as i was about to give it a detailed clean.

So my 2016 Evo 3 Supersix sadly got a carbon fracture.
I take it to my lbs warranty gets approved by Monza, and then I find out the frame is not the same color.
I said I want the same color I had when I chose a bike originally. So back to Monza went my request and they found a frame in my color but to do that it had to be upgraded to a hi mod. Yay.
Monza when emailing me did not comment on what year this frame was, only that its an upgrade and it matches my color.
I finally picked up the bike today and the lbs owner tells me this is a 2017 and a half year model.
I was refused any paper work and want to avoid any refusal of warranty down the road so I now have no proof of ownership besides the paperwork for my original bike and an email from Monza stating the frame they gave me leaving out the year. Is this enough? I'd assume a zero dollar invoice stating a warranty upgrade would be issued.
After receiving this frame I could now identify exactly what it is. I have been given an upgraded frame but it is a 2015, so principally, as a consumer, I have been lied to and forced an older product despite the upgrade by the shop and Monza the supplier.

The above is just a short version obviously, but in all honesty this has to have been the worst ever warranty I have experienced in my life and I am gobsmacked on how a simple thing has played out and the fact the lbs has plain simply lied to me about the year model I am receiving.

Ill be making a few calls in the morning but also want to hear the experience people have had on here and where they stood legally as well the options they had and took, no violent opinions but more in terms of my rights...

Also I am now very split as I am very fond of the new look which went from gloss black to BBQ black, but the feeling of lied to and taken backwards is sitting far from well. It's just been a roller coaster to be honest.

Neddysmith

Re: Cannondale warranty gave me an older bike

Postby Neddysmith » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:12 am

I guess there are a couple of things to consider, and sorry i am not really sure of the warrenty claim or your rights as a consumer.

However, is the end result something which you are satisfied with? Ok you have been lied to but the fact that you have received a upgraded frame set although an older model, is this a satisfactory result from your warranty claim? If it is, then maybe let it go, and follow up a little more for some paperwork, if not, then follow up some more for perhaps the same frameset, although you must realise that it may be impossible to provide the same colour combination you originally selected.

I know from previous experience with warranty claims it can sometimes be a compromise to get a mutual satisfactory solution, some depending on the manufacturer, you maybe offered a slightly higher end model but having to pay a little usually cost price to upgrade, in your case you were given an upgrade of an older model, most likely for them to get rid of old stock laying around.

I guess it depends on if you happy with it or not?

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:14 am

Reckon you've been dudded. They are required to replace your frame with the same...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:05 am

Hmm, equal parts good and bad.

They honoured the warranty by giving you the equal replacement (level), by giving you the newer version of the same frame, but different colour. Mostly good. If the existing colour is not available, then it's not available. Its 2 years later.

Then, to meet your request to have the same colour, they gave you a higher model, but older (and seemed to have done a bit of dodgy stuff). More bad than good.

BUT, they were well within their rights to leave you with the correct frame (but different colour), but they then went further by trying to get the right colour but made it an older/better spec model.

From what is presented, its a mix of good/not so. The fact is you feel like it was a crap process, and that's not a good outcome from the LBS & Monza point of view.

Remain firm & polite and even get some advice from ACCC (re warranty and paperwork).

Good luck.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:25 pm

That's the way the bike industry works.. you take what you're given. It's a warranty on their terms.

A mate had a stealth black BH ultralight crack and they gave him a bright orange bike that was 300 grams heavier...

All this stuffing around is why I choose not to go that path... Sometimes it works out well... other times not so much.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Why do you think the lbs lied to you? If the importer told them it was a 17 1/2 model why would they think differently? I think Monza has done the right thing. You asked for a replacement frame and they provided that. If the original colour is no longer available it's no longer available. They then upgraded you with a better quality frame. So what if it's a couple years older. The colour is right, it's still new and it's a better spec. What's the issue?

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm

I would be very surprised if this wasn't the distributor doing, well, what distributors do. They get a warranty claim and the only replacement available is what they have on hand, no effort to get a replacement which fits what you originally bought (heaven forbid they keep a lot of stock on hand or order something in which isn't part of a bulk order which takes months to float over on a ship). It would surprise me not at all if they kept the bike shop in the dark too, and the bike shop has to survive so they will try and keep you happy as well as placating the distributor who have a monopoly on that brand in Aus.

I had a Cannondale frame replaced a couple of years ago, I ended up with a newer model frame which made little difference but slightly smaller size (large instead of extra large, although I am only 5'10" so possibly the correct size). It is all ok and the frame was from an aluminium flat bar but expensive for a flat bar, although I had done 21,000KMs so I was happy they were willing to replace it.

Better than a wheel I broke in less than 1,000 KMs (axle) which the distributor said no to replacing.

Are you still happy with the bike? If so, enjoy the ride and put this behind you.

Meanwhile the distributor model in Aus needs to look in the mirror, see the zombie staring back, and disappear.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm led to believe that Monza will be out of Cannondale very soon - so you may very well be lucky to have received anything.

If you did happen to receive a Hi-Mod frameset, then, even if it is older, it is a much better frameset.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

MrPushy

Postby MrPushy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks for the replies all.

While split about whats happened and having missed out on a number of weeks of training(that asside), I went ahead with accepting the Hi Mod replacement even though it was a year older. Yes, its a year older(as far as i am able to find out), but as far it is the same era of tech and moulds as the evo 3 I had, it is still an upgrade.
The only thing that does not sit well is refusal of paperwork which I find very odd along with the lbs saying its a 2017.5. The paperwork would technically cover them as I could say I have never received anything from the lbs and it would cover me as well as a piece of mind for a customer.

Having spoken with consumer affairs, the email trail I have with Monza is enough as a proof of warranty replacement along with my original paperwork for the evo 3. Still odd to me but as long as its all there and I have no hassles down track should I need to warranty again(knock on wood).

Hope this thread helps anyone else in my position in the future.

Should I be buying another bike in the future I will likely consider another brand after doing my research on the post buy supportability.
As much as I love my Cannondale bike this is unfortunately too much stuffing around for something that should be simple for a warranty.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:41 am

Aaronsoole wrote:Would hate to buy a used bike from that guy Surprised the carbon fiber in his frame and wheels didn't snap.

Great video though Amazing bike handling skills.
Que ?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:18 pm

MrPushy wrote:Thanks for the replies all.

While split about whats happened and having missed out on a number of weeks of training(that asside), I went ahead with accepting the Hi Mod replacement even though it was a year older. Yes, its a year older(as far as i am able to find out), but as far it is the same era of tech and moulds as the evo 3 I had, it is still an upgrade.
The only thing that does not sit well is refusal of paperwork which I find very odd along with the lbs saying its a 2017.5. The paperwork would technically cover them as I could say I have never received anything from the lbs and it would cover me as well as a piece of mind for a customer.

Having spoken with consumer affairs, the email trail I have with Monza is enough as a proof of warranty replacement along with my original paperwork for the evo 3. Still odd to me but as long as its all there and I have no hassles down track should I need to warranty again(knock on wood).

Hope this thread helps anyone else in my position in the future.

Should I be buying another bike in the future I will likely consider another brand after doing my research on the post buy supportability.
As much as I love my Cannondale bike this is unfortunately too much stuffing around for something that should be simple for a warranty.
Dare I say it.. when that one cracks you might consider coming over to the team Titanium ? :mrgreen: In all the people I talk to with Ti bikes.. it's a pretty common thing "I broke three carbon bikes and got sick of all the stuffing around.."