Giant Propel

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Ray1684 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Seems like you're only paying more for the paint job; aren't the Zipps another $1k+ dearer than the Dura Ace C50?

Managed to pick up the SL0 for just a bit over 7k, pretty happy with the purchase :D
Ray1684
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:37 am

by BNA » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:57 pm

BNA
 

Re: Giant Propel

Postby R12RT » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:57 pm

So far I have found three different specs for the P-SLR1 Aero wheels. The weights are 1565g, 1700g, and 1800g. I can't explain why the behaviour of the wheels should be different because the shroud material is different.

I am only mildly disappointed that the wheels have turned out to be so bad. Other bikes s I considered at this price point also had average quality wheels as well. So I was always expecting to be using the Swiss Sides on a new bike. The only thing with the Propel was that after reading the reviews I believed it had a quality wheel set that wouldn't need upgrading.

I am still very happy with purchasing the Propel. Even with the poor wheels it is a lot of bike for $4000. And as I said with decent wheels it is a fantastic bike to ride!
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1
R12RT
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Ballajura, Western Australia

Re: Giant Propel

Postby vosadrian » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:26 pm

R12RT wrote:So far I have found three different specs for the P-SLR1 Aero wheels. The weights are 1565g, 1700g, and 1800g. I can't explain why the behaviour of the wheels should be different because the shroud material is different.

I am only mildly disappointed that the wheels have turned out to be so bad. Other bikes s I considered at this price point also had average quality wheels as well. So I was always expecting to be using the Swiss Sides on a new bike. The only thing with the Propel was that after reading the reviews I believed it had a quality wheel set that wouldn't need upgrading.

I am still very happy with purchasing the Propel. Even with the poor wheels it is a lot of bike for $4000. And as I said with decent wheels it is a fantastic bike to ride!


That is pretty poor of them to release 3 different wheel specs with the same name and no easy way to determine the difference... like MK1,2,3 etc. Especially if the performance difference is big.

I agree that it is still a good price for the Advanced 1..... just not as good as if it came with the good version of the wheels. From your experience it sounds like the wheels would need replacement for me. I already have some good non-aero climbing wheels, but if getting an Aero bike, I want it to have some good Aero wheels, as my main reason for a bike like this over my other bike is for going fast solo or in a fast group pulling turns.
Image
vosadrian
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby R12RT » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:40 pm

vosadrian wrote:
R12RT wrote:So far I have found three different specs for the P-SLR1 Aero wheels. The weights are 1565g, 1700g, and 1800g. I can't explain why the behaviour of the wheels should be different because the shroud material is different.

I am only mildly disappointed that the wheels have turned out to be so bad. Other bikes s I considered at this price point also had average quality wheels as well. So I was always expecting to be using the Swiss Sides on a new bike. The only thing with the Propel was that after reading the reviews I believed it had a quality wheel set that wouldn't need upgrading.

I am still very happy with purchasing the Propel. Even with the poor wheels it is a lot of bike for $4000. And as I said with decent wheels it is a fantastic bike to ride!


That is pretty poor of them to release 3 different wheel specs with the same name and no easy way to determine the difference... like MK1,2,3 etc. Especially if the performance difference is big.

I agree that it is still a good price for the Advanced 1..... just not as good as if it came with the good version of the wheels. From your experience it sounds like the wheels would need replacement for me. I already have some good non-aero climbing wheels, but if getting an Aero bike, I want it to have some good Aero wheels, as my main reason for a bike like this over my other bike is for going fast solo or in a fast group pulling turns.



Also, the difference for me is that I don't really need aero wheels. Except perhaps at the coffee shop and the stock wheels perform really well parked at the coffee shop. :roll:

But if I wanted aero wheels I would be looking at these:

[url]. http://www.swissside.com/hadron [/url]


BTW I love the colours of the Advanced 1. 8)
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1
R12RT
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Ballajura, Western Australia

Re: Giant Propel

Postby vosadrian » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:24 pm

I don't need Aero wheels... indeed I have never owned a set, but the reason I would buy a Propel over other bike options is for Aero, so no point for me in going half way. I sometimes do rides at averages around 40kph solo (motorways) on a non aero bike with normal box section wheels. I am curious to get a bike like this and stick on some aero bars, and see how much quicker (or slower?!?) I go. Is the hype true? Could I pick up 2-3kph?

Those swissside wheels look great on paper, and a good price! Seem a similar concept to C50s, but cheaper. Definitely worth a look.

I don't really care much what a bike looks like, but I would have preferred a blue strip to a lime stripe. Also, I like black bikes as cleaning the bike is much easier (well I really mean you don't have to do a great job and nobody would know it!!).

Cheers,

Adrian
Image
vosadrian
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Ray1684 wrote:Seems like you're only paying more for the paint job; aren't the Zipps another $1k+ dearer than the Dura Ace C50?

Managed to pick up the SL0 for just a bit over 7k, pretty happy with the purchase :D


Not necessarily...
If the C50's were clinchers, then yeah.

The C50 Tubs are quite a bit more expensive than the Clinchers. There might still be a little bit in it (not sure, never looked at how expensive Zipp 404's are) but I dont think it'd be quite $1000 in it between them and the C50 Tubs.

Either way, you'd be onto a winner with either bike. Just depends if you want Clinchers or Tubs.

Wonder if they'd consider replacing the Tubs with C50 Clinchers and dropping the difference on the LTD?
Probably not if there are only 50 coming into the country, but it'd be worth asking if you were in the market.

How are you finding the SL0?
Pretty good buying!! Where are you based?

Iv seen the SL0 advertised for $7999 over here (reduced from $10k), but I am sure you could get a little more out of it. Iv gotta admit (and I am not a good enough rider to warrant it at all!), the Propel has had me looking at the bank balance and seeing what I can offload my TCR for. Dont think I can make it happen, but a man can dream!
Dirty32
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Ray1684 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Dirty32 wrote:
Ray1684 wrote:Seems like you're only paying more for the paint job; aren't the Zipps another $1k+ dearer than the Dura Ace C50?

How are you finding the SL0?
Pretty good buying!! Where are you based?

Iv seen the SL0 advertised for $7999 over here (reduced from $10k), but I am sure you could get a little more out of it. Iv gotta admit (and I am not a good enough rider to warrant it at all!), the Propel has had me looking at the bank balance and seeing what I can offload my TCR for. Dont think I can make it happen, but a man can dream!


Based in Perth; the SL0 was advertised at $7999, and I was in for a fitting, asked if the shop could waiver the fitting cost from the bike and got it for 7.6. Honestly I'm not a strong enough rider either, but was just in the market for a bike as I found out my TCR frame had a crack in it, and I was due in for a ride event the following week :?

You can definitely feel the difference on flats, and the wheels seem to want to pick up more speed; whether you can justify the price difference from a 2k bike to a 10k bike, is really up to the rider I suppose.
Ray1684
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:37 am

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:30 pm

Did you get anything back on warranty for the cracked TCR frame?

Yeah - hear what you are saying. The missus has told me that if I get my contract extended at work for another year and I sell the TCR, I can look into a Propel. It looks a great bike and at mid $7k, a great deal, but I am still not sure i'd be wanting to pay that much.
It'd surely be a massive case of 'upgrade-itis' if I managed to find one in my stable.

I love my TCR as it is, have only had it ~ 6 months and I thought I was pushing the envelope with buying that for commuting and the odd weekend ride. Im sure that the Propel is a better bike and all the reviews are very complimentary, its a great bike for the $$, but it would be massive overkill for me, and im sure I could put the dollars to better use. We'll see what happens, I guess.
Dirty32
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby R12RT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Dirty32 wrote:Did you get anything back on warranty for the cracked TCR frame?

Yeah - hear what you are saying. The missus has told me that if I get my contract extended at work for another year and I sell the TCR, I can look into a Propel. It looks a great bike and at mid $7k, a great deal, but I am still not sure i'd be wanting to pay that much.
It'd surely be a massive case of 'upgrade-itis' if I managed to find one in my stable.

I love my TCR as it is, have only had it ~ 6 months and I thought I was pushing the envelope with buying that for commuting and the odd weekend ride. Im sure that the Propel is a better bike and all the reviews are very complimentary, its a great bike for the $$, but it would be massive overkill for me, and im sure I could put the dollars to better use. We'll see what happens, I guess.


If you don't want to spend $7500 for a Advanced SL. Have you considered the Advanced. $3999 with Ultegra Di2 is good value.

The Advanced is a little heavier than the SL but it is still a damn fine ride for the money. I'm certainly loving mine. :lol:
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1
R12RT
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Ballajura, Western Australia

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:38 pm

No, not really... I dont think I would.

My TCR has Ultegra Di2 (albeit 10sp), so I dont think I would spend to 'upgrade' for the frame alone. If I was going to do it, i'd just go the whole hog with one of the SL's (although it probably doesnt sound like it, when I am moaning about the price!).

I mildly already wish i'd have gone with the TCR SL over my Adv 0 (again, not that I need it!).

Anyone got an idea for what the Propel framesets are selling for?
Again, just a pipe dream but if I were looking for a new bike, i'd certainly be taking a very loooooong look at the Propel.
Dirty32
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Ray1684 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:54 pm

I absolutely understand the urge to want to invest in a top end model to keep the craving of "upgrade-itis" or GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) :) At least after spending this much on something, you'll be more keen to take it out for a ride to justify buying one; and will tell yourself to focus more on improving the rider rather than the gear if there's not as much to look up to.

You'll still likely find yourself with a shortlist of things to upgrade after picking up an SL0 though; DA9000 pedals, saddle, maybe a new gps comp, upgrade the brakes to fouriers etc :) the list is endless.

Saw an TCR SL0 complete bike with DA Mechanical on Gumtree asking for 2.7k which seemed like a bargain; that was last week in Perth.
Ray1684
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:37 am

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:57 pm

IIRC ~3-4K retail for the SL frameset. Another $350 for the Fourers brakes from their official ebay store :lol: :lol:
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby yehuda » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Incase anyone is still after a Garmin mount, I have had this for a few months and it's great.
I ordered it from Raceware direct, not cheap at 30 pounds, but not much else out there at all.
They 3d print them to order.
Image
yehuda
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Cmm » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Has anyone tried to put a 28mm tyre on a propel?
Cmm
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Front or rear?
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Cmm » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:32 pm

More so rear I had a look and front seems to have a bit of clearance (currently running 25) but rear looks like it would be tight against seat tube
Cmm
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:12 pm

What's better than one Propel! Two.

Won't be long til Fouriers are ordered for the GF either I am thinking cause gees I'd forgotten how superfantastic the standard brakes were to set.



Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 am

Nice one Carrots.
Saw your post over at WW too... Lookin good!

Whats the spec on the second one?
Obviously Mavic wheels and looks like Ultegra Group.

Do they feel much different to ride (if you've ridden both)?
Dirty32
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:33 am

Carrots wrote:What's better than one Propel! Two.

Won't be long til Fouriers are ordered for the GF either I am thinking cause gees I'd forgotten how superfantastic the standard brakes were to set.



Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


can i be your girlfriend?
Designs by Mitch - drafting specialist.
User avatar
mitchy_
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:37 am

mitchy_ wrote: can i be your girlfriend?


That depends....



Dirty32 wrote:Nice one Carrots.
Saw your post over at WW too... Lookin good!

Whats the spec on the second one?
Obviously Mavic wheels and looks like Ultegra Group.

Do they feel much different to ride (if you've ridden both)?


Haven't actually ridden it yet, need to though just to make sure everything rides as well as it seems on the stand.

Specs are:
M/L Propel SL1 frame
Ultegra Di2 6870
Ultegra 6800 52/36
Ultegra 6800 11-18 Cassette
Crappy Giant Brakes
Zipp Vuka Sprint Shallow bars (had these on mine but were too narrow)
Giant OD2 Carbon stem
Mavic Cosmic Elites (for now)
Fetha Garmin mount
Crappy Shimano SPD pedals
Last edited by Carrots on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:42 am

Carrots wrote:
mitchy_ wrote: can i be your girlfriend?


That depends....


i can cook, clean and am toilet trained!
Designs by Mitch - drafting specialist.
User avatar
mitchy_
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:44 am

6ft and blonde also?
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:53 am

Carrots wrote:6ft and blonde also?


5'11" and blonde.
i'll take mine with Sram Red please. :lol:

after drooling over this one, i think i need to get some white outline logo's made up for my wheels.

Image

Image
Designs by Mitch - drafting specialist.
User avatar
mitchy_
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Too short! The other half is 6ft and mostly blonde! Just failed on the big... Damn fit rowers have too much muscle lol.

That one was on WW wasn't it? Remembering seeing it and liking very muchly!

In the process of buying some "dodgy" Chinese rims to build up. Might have to rethink the Enve style black decals now.


Garmin mount pics for interest sake - both integrated and Giant OD2 specific carbon stem mounts:


ImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby dale79 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Been riding my propel a little more laitly.. There is still something I can put my finger on that I like about the Tcr sl better.. Might be the way the Tcr turns into a corner.. The propel looks porn tho!

Image
dale79
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:28 am

PreviousNext

Return to Giant

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit
cron