Giant Propel

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the brakes Fouriers have made for the propel? Seen previously on Blanco/Belkin and now Team Giant Shimano?
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

by BNA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:00 pm

BNA
 

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:00 pm

I've been looking for the same answer to that question for a while now :P

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-Mount-Ae ... 258499438b
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Sven Nijs » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Carrots wrote:Has anyone had any experience with the brakes Fouriers have made for the propel? Seen previously on Blanco/Belkin and now Team Giant Shimano?


This forum has user feedback: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/giant/ ... ost4534889
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
User avatar
Sven Nijs
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Sunny Sydney

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:57 pm

............................ Crap.

Image

:lol:
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:12 pm

I see this becoming about a $368.65 forum read now.....! Should've gotten onto them a few months back when the dollar was still half reasonably and I first saw them on ebay and thought it was a dodgy copy! Oh well! Have you ordered some Lukeboy?


Thanks Sven Nijs!
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Not yet but I've been really seriously thinking about it. I'm running out of the stock TRP pads to use on the rear wheel (Shimano/SwissStop pads mount directly or partly on the rear tyre - front wheel has no issues). I kept checking their ebay page every week or two back mid last year but they never had them listed. It's only been recently that I have seen them listed. Hmmmmmm........hmmmmmm..... haha.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:28 pm

How's the sound coming out of yours? Does the neighbourhood know when you're on the brakes?
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Hahahaha. Yes! The worst is in changing conditions as it just howls every time I touch the brakes. There's also a nice vibration too until some heat is put through the pads.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Sounds familiar. What was the recall on the brakes for again?

Having a lend of an R5 with Red 22 on it from the Cervelo stand at the TDU today... They're some mighty fine brakes! And silent. And the bike...Noice!
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Carrots wrote:Sounds familiar. What was the recall on the brakes for again?

Having a lend of an R5 with Red 22 on it from the Cervelo stand at the TDU today... They're some mighty fine brakes! And silent. And the bike...Noice!


The recall had nothing to do with performance/safety but was to allow the brake mounts to accept a wider range of wheels with different pad combos. Pretty much related to up and down movement from what I remember.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:51 pm

I'll be the guinea pig... Just bit the bullet and ordered some. I blame the $A dipping, thought I'd better get in before it drops too much. That's my story.
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Tell me how they go because I'm teetering on the edge more than a derailed freight train hanging over a cliff being held to the rest of the train by the air hose :P
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Shall do.
The air hose broke for me yesterday... firstly sick and tired of continuously having to give the brakes a little manual nudge to realign whilst riding and secondly had a chat to one of the Giant Shimano mech's yesterday and he wasn't overly fond of the the factory ones.
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:24 pm

Hello ladies... Pleasure to see you...


Image
Image

Definitions of spewing... Has swisstop brakes installed on them already... Order some from Cell when I ordered these too. These arrived from China within the week... Still waiting on Cell from Sydney.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby doggatas » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:58 pm

Carrots wrote:Shall do.
The air hose broke for me yesterday... firstly sick and tired of continuously having to give the brakes a little manual nudge to realign whilst riding and secondly had a chat to one of the Giant Shimano mech's yesterday and he wasn't overly fond of the the factory ones.


Ah ha, the missus bought herself the Envie (women's Propel) and I'd be buggered if I can get the brakes to realign on a regular basis. I thought I had them dialed in but nope, they always seem to get a slight rub after a couple of applications of the brake.

Stronger springs maybe?
doggatas
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Perhaps a better cable design? Be interesting to see what the new brakes are like as they have new tensioners too that are curbed instead of as fiercely 90 degrees as factory ones.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:17 pm

:D :D

doggatas wrote:Ah ha, the missus bought herself the Envie (women's Propel)


Also the 2014 Propel Advanced :P
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:42 pm

So first hurdle... Factory brakes. Front brake cable enters from right/drive side and exits on left... These brakes don't... And I was trying to avoid swapping out cables... Hmmm.
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Cmm » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:45 pm

All things going right I may be able to get one of 2 options for around the same price they are:

Sl0 frameset with 9000di2 bars are pro vibe series as it was a pro team bike. All it needs is wheels and cassette to be a full bike

Or

Sl1 near new complete bike.

They look like they will be around the same price

Which would you go? Which do you recommend?
Cmm
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby doggatas » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:13 pm

doggatas wrote:
Carrots wrote:Shall do.
The air hose broke for me yesterday... firstly sick and tired of continuously having to give the brakes a little manual nudge to realign whilst riding and secondly had a chat to one of the Giant Shimano mech's yesterday and he wasn't overly fond of the the factory ones.


Ah ha, the missus bought herself the Envie (women's Propel) and I'd be buggered if I can get the brakes to realign on a regular basis. I thought I had them dialed in but nope, they always seem to get a slight rub after a couple of applications of the brake.

Stronger springs maybe?


Worked them out, a lot of minute adjustments were required.
doggatas
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Carrots » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Cmm wrote:All things going right I may be able to get one of 2 options for around the same price they are:

Sl0 frameset with 9000di2 bars are pro vibe series as it was a pro team bike. All it needs is wheels and cassette to be a full bike

Or

Sl1 near new complete bike.

They look like they will be around the same price

Which would you go? Which do you recommend?



I wouldn't buy that ex Blanco bike. Pretty banged up. I'd buy the near new SL1 even with mech 9000. Plus the black frame looks far better.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Carrots
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Cmm » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:08 pm

I agree re the black frame it's much better looking! And I reckon mechanical 9000 would be a huge leap forward compared to the current 9 speed tiagra lol
Cmm
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:11 pm

SL0 is a used pro team bike? In that case SL1 purely because of that.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Cmm » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:25 pm

Yeah lukeyboy is advertised as:


- Bike was owned/ridden by Olympic Gold Medalist & Pro Tour Rider, Graeme Brown, as a training bike during the first half of 2013 as part of the "Blanco" Pro Tour Cycling Team before they became Belkin. It has some scratches consistent with general wear (shoe scuffs on cranks & some paint chips on chain stay, all cosmetic)
Cmm
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Giant Propel

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 pm

It's up to you but I think you should stay away from ex-pro team bikes. They generally have too many issues in the long run.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to Giant

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter