Giant CRX2 (2007) $400- a good buy?

Giant CRX2 (2007) $400- a good buy?

Postby missfire » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi Guys

Been lurking here for a while and the forum has been extremely helpful in giving me tips on buying my first relatively "serious" commuter bike.

I probably ride 28kms two or three times a week to and from work. Mostly bike paths (although not the smoothest pavements - Upfield track!) and on the road. I do want something that can take a few bumps and thumps though... You know, something that can get me a to b anywhere within Melbourne without popping tyres left right and centre.

My budget does not allow for anything amazing $300 - $400 [max]. I don't want an upright but don't want to always be hunched forward on the bike either (find the pressure on my upper back and shoulders can get a bit much if I ride 2+ days in a row) - that and my hands can get quite sore if I am too far forward (family arthritis is kicking in to the knuckles!).

I've come across a second hand sale: Giant CRX2 (2007 - bought in 2008) for $400 that has seen some miles, but apparently in good nick (few scratches). Recently had a new chain, bottom bracket and brake blocks. Rest of it seems to be as original. One of my priorities is that I can mount a rack for panniers. He has offered to throw the rack in.
I think I might also put bar ends on so I can adjust my position if/when I get tired...
The seller seems a proper 'bike nerd' (has too many bikes!). He's a self-acclaimed good bike mechanic and promises he has serviced the bike well.

Of course, i can't know until I try it and intend to give it a sit and quick ride this evening or the next. I am wondering if this is a reasonable price for a well looked after 5 year old Giant? As far as I can see it's a better bike than I could afford new with my budget.

I haven't been to my local LBS (time constraints are making it tricky to get there when they are open) so I am slightly apprehensive not being fitted properly for the bike and getting all the 'servicing' that an LBS could offer.
That said, if it 'feels' right when I try it, I'd like to buy it if you guys think its a good deal... What say you learned folk!?

I am sure I'll upgrade again soon enough. At the moment though, this is quite a big purchase for me and I want something more inviting to ride so I am motivated to ride more often! My current bike is heavy, clunky and although it has done its job, I haven't looked after it well and it's nothing fancy...

Thanks in advance!

(edited cause the post was way too long!)
Last edited by missfire on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missfire

by BNA » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 pm

BNA

Re: Giant CRX2 (2007) $400- a good buy?

Postby missfire » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Also, looking at the Apollo Fiamme (2011) brand new for $449.
Is this a much lesser bike or also a good deal? I am thinking that a new bike (with services etc) might be a better deal if I can et them to throw in the rear rack.

Thanks
missfire

Postby DavidS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 pm

That is a fairly old bike and, although I have no idea about second hand prices, it does seem quite a bit for an old bike. That said, I have a 2009 CRX Three (lower number is better model) and I've done 21,000KMs with no problems so the CRX seem a good solid bike. I would just check what second hand prices are like, then again, this one sounds well maintained.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby missfire » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks, David.
Went to see it, it was practically as new - barely a scratch anywhere. For a bike that commuted quite a bit, it's amazing and is miles ahead of any new bike I could afford.
Really well serviced and it just "fit".

It's sitting in my back tard waiting for its first ride tomorrow morning! Weep!
missfire

Postby DavidS » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Well maintained I don't see any reason you can't do a hell of a lot of KMs on that bike. 21,000 and no probs for me.

Enjoy.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Return to Giant