Giant TCX Vs Giant Defy 1

Giant TCX Vs Giant Defy 1

Postby Sydguy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi Giant fan boys quick one...

A mate is looking to get into cycling but wants a bike he can jump on a bunch ride with and also take a child seat for 1 year old daughter.

Giant shop said TCX fits bill, that is takes a child seat/trailer (both). Would a Defy 1 not also be able to do that as well?

Might scope them out tomorrow, nothing wrong with a TCX on a bunch ride I suppose, but it would not roll as easily as a Defy I thought!

Cheers
JM
Sydguy

by BNA » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

BNA

Re: Giant TCX Vs Giant Defy 1

Postby usernameforme » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Not sure about fitting a child seat to the Defy 1, but they are different bikes. The TCX is more of a cyclocross bike (designed to go x-road) while the Defy 1 is more of an endurance bike (designed for long and fast rides). Unless your friend plans to do alot of x-road riding, then I'd suggest the Defy 1 over the TCX
usernameforme

Re: Giant TCX Vs Giant Defy 1

Postby Sydguy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:18 pm

It is interesting looking at the Defy Vs TCX.

One thing I had not thought of was gearing, they are quite different. The TCX would struggle to hold a roadie bunch pushing it, you would be pedalling like a mad man.

Plus the Defy frames are actually different between the different models. 2013 Defy3 is the only one with rack/child seat mounts. Never knew that before.

JM
Sydguy

Return to Giant