Show us your Giant road bike

g-boaf

Re: Show us your Giant road bike

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:40 pm

samuel86 wrote:This is my 2016 TCR Pro 0

Very nice. :)

This is what I'm still on, along with a near identical 2014 black/silver SL1.

The green one is the lighter of the two, but they are both fairly light and intended to feel identical to ride.

I did add some Jagwire Elite Link brake cables and put new bar tape on. The shift cables will get the same treatment eventually when they need changing.

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:15 pm

My Propel Advanced Pro 0 during a ride on the Yorke Peninsula in South Australia.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:51 pm

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 am

My Orange rocket has now just clicked over 5000km in 12 months. Took a couple of snaps on yesterdays ride to celebrate.

JohnAng

Postby JohnAng » Tue May 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Hey Guys, new here.
Have had my 2017 propel advanced SL 0 red etap for a few months now and must say i absolutely love it.
Was torn between it and the TCR, but i dont do a huge amount of climbing so decided on the propel.
It replaced a 2008 fuji team RC which i had a bit of a nasty fall on a little while ago. So to make myself feel better, i purchased the Propel.
The fuji came off better then i did with only a broken fork, frame was scanned and was all ok, so bought a new fork and rebuilt it.
The only thing i would like to do with the propel is to get a second set of wheels for it, as i do find the deep dish ones play havoc with crosswinds.

here she is, a quick snap in the garage

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu May 11, 2017 1:03 pm

JohnAng wrote: here she is, a quick snap in the garage

You have an enviable garage :)

Welcome to the forum!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

JohnAng

Postby JohnAng » Fri May 12, 2017 11:55 am

Mububban wrote:
You have an enviable garage :)

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks mate.
Loving the bike. Took me a while to pick between it and the equivalent tcr.
Maybe one day I'll grab the tcr also and have the best of both worlds :mrgreen:

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Mububban wrote:You have an enviable garage :)
But he's only got one bike and a workstand in there. :)

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue May 23, 2017 1:20 pm

I cracked the frame of my old Merida and needed a commuter to save my cervelo from racking up lots of kilometres on dura ace components and racing rubber.

So I looked around and found an XL Giant OCR3- sort of an older version / pretty similar geometry to my old Defy, except it takes longer drop brakes so you can run wider rubber.

Picked it up for $350, sold the Alex wheels and Sora 8 x 3 group and FSA SL-K seatpost it had on it for $150 so it cost $200 in the end.

To this I added some new Tektro dual pivot brakes (the ones on the bike were rusty and pitted) and a mish mash of shimano 10 speed components from ultegra 6600, 105 5600 and 5700, with some FSA components to finish - SL-K 120mm stem and 44cm vero bars. Needed an inline seatpost so grabbed a generic one I had and some shimano rs10 wheels from my Merida.

Under 9kg with 28mm continental ultra sports and I love the slightly taller front end and the big tyres for commuting.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue May 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Nice one. Every time I browse Gumtree there are always loads of OCRs on there.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Yeah, the OCR is the direct ancestor of the Defy, so very similar in geometry. Good going with the older 10-sp. shifters; the best things short of 11-sp. going around. Just be wary of the left one if it's a pre-update 5600; designed for both double and triple setups, its guts are very sensitive to proper tuning on a double and can be broken if poorly tuned. Post update 5601 (identified by the word "double" on the cover plate below the 105 logo) is OK.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 pm

I actually like it more to ride than I did my old Defy, it seems to turn in sharper.

It's a decent bike - I've set a couple of PB's on it actually.. as the 28's allow you to go harder on really dead roads that bounce me out of the saddle and break your cadence on my cervelo.

andrich

Postby andrich » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 pm

My TCR Pro disc.
Love the di2 and the move to discs
Imagetcr by Michael Andrich, on Flickr
Last edited by andrich on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Forget photo bucket we really need to get a better way

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:44 pm

If its not steel it isn't real as they say. we bought this touring bike home today with the view to rebuilding it as a trainer. Pretty sure it needs nothing really in particular, my brother was playing with it today and got the group set somewhat working on it, but given its a 90s vintage bike the shifters are weird and a bit gummy anyhow. I'm going to get my brother to replace the groupset with a new one and look at a new hub for it so I can run a modern 9 speed or 11 speed cassette. It's a 54 and the frame is in the same state as when it came out of the shop. I'm pretty sure it hasn't even really been ridden seriously by anyone in its life :shock:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 pm

andrich wrote:My TCR Pro disc.
Love the di2 and the move to discs
Imagetcr by Michael Andrich, on Flickr
You can never have too much fluoro orange. My favourite colour :)

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:23 pm

For my recent 40th birthday, my wife surprised me with a bike shopping trip! After visiting around 12 different stores in Sydney, and having no luck finding something in my size (I'm 2m tall) we found a 2017 Giant Defy Advanced 2 in stock.

Purchased it, bought it home and proceeded to ride as much as I could. I put on some crank brothers candy pedals I had spare from my spin bike, and ordered some white R540 pedals and appropriate road shoes (similarly to the bike, none of the shops in Sydney carried a size 49 road shoe, although lots had size 50 strangely)

It was fantastic to ride and a revelation compared to my 2005 Giant Alias MTB (with kid seat on the back, and toddler installed, it's about 40kg vs 8.8 for the Defy)

5 weeks and 330km in to ownership, I was riding along the Windsor Road bike path, when I heard a crack noise (like when you step on a stick) and something hit me in the left calf. Well, that turned out to be a piece of carbon from the seat tube :(

Needless to say, I was pretty devastated!

Uh oh by CaffeineAU, on Flickr

It's not meant to look like that by CaffeineAU, on Flickr

Fortunately, the bike shop was very helpful, Giant's lifetime frame warranty came to the rescue, and just over a week later, this was the result:

ImageBike! by CaffeineAU, on Flickr

It's a matt back / orange 2017 Defy Advanced 1 frame, which I gather wasn't offered in Australia. I'm very happy with it. I've done just over 200km on it in the last week and a half, and it's amazing :D It looks a little strange with the white pedals, but I can live with it :)

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:48 pm

What caused the frame damage?!

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:12 pm

No idea. I'd only done a couple of group rides with the local bike shop, and some runs up and down the M7 bike path.

If it was from jumping off kerbs or anything (not that I did) I'd expect the bottom bracket area or the stays to be damaged rather than half way down the seat tube.

The frame apparently went back to Giant for a closer examination, because it was such an unusual failure.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Wow. That is quite the crack!

The lifetime frame warranty is one big reason why the TCR is currently my leading contender for n+1

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Mububban wrote:The lifetime frame warranty is one big reason why the TCR is currently my leading contender for n+1
Yeah, it's pretty good peace of mind. My friend got an alloy duallie MTB frame replaced on a bike that was >6 years old, under warranty.

Remember that's it's only for the original owner though, not transferable.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:47 pm

CaffeineAU wrote: Remember that's it's only for the original owner though, not transferable.
That's another reason why Giant is currently the leading contender - I'm planning on buying "the last road bike I'll ever buy" (famous last words....), honestly the plan is to buy something really sweet and keep it until I'm too old to ride it any more. I'm thinking 15 years or more. So a 2 year warranty on competing brands isn't really a selling point for me, although the bikes themselves might be fantastic, I just don't have the money to swap bikes every few years.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Mububban wrote:until I'm too old to ride it any more. I'm thinking 15 years or more.
So you must be 70 then ? :D :P

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Hehe, yeah 15 years is a bare minimum I hope, if my scrawny legs keep turning :D My 26" MTB is soon to celebrate its 15th birthday. I only got that one because my previous one was stolen, otherwise that would've turned 17 by now and could have got its driver's license!

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:19 am

It's good that these bikes come with a lifetime warranty. I'd like to know exactly what is considered a "lifetime" though, is it for the reasonable life of a bike (under Australian consumer laws) or is it your lifetime? Is it also transferable to someone else or not? Given I've seen some pretty catastrophic failures such as this one (on a seat post) and on my brother's BMC team machine, I second guess the purpose of carbon for a daily which is another reason why I'm going back to steel for my own commuter bike.

Glad to see you got a favourable result none the less.