Show us your Giant road bike

Mububban

Re: Show us your Giant road bike

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:22 pm

Kronos wrote:It's good that these bikes come with a lifetime warranty. I'd like to know exactly what is considered a "lifetime" though, is it for the reasonable life of a bike (under Australian consumer laws) or is it your lifetime? Is it also transferable to someone else or not? Given I've seen some pretty catastrophic failures such as this one (on a seat post) and on my brother's BMC team machine, I second guess the purpose of carbon for a daily which is another reason why I'm going back to steel for my own commuter bike.

Glad to see you got a favourable result none the less.
Not transferable I believe, but I've read online of people claiming frame replacements 10 years down the track with no problems, provided they can show their proof of purchase.
I've taken to photocopying my receipts as thermal paper can fade over time, leaving you with a blank piece of paper stapled to your records.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:31 pm

Mububban wrote:I've taken to photocopying my receipts as thermal paper can fade over time, leaving you with a blank piece of paper stapled to your records.
An electronic bank transaction record is good enough these days.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:36 pm

Mububban wrote: I've taken to photocopying my receipts as thermal paper can fade over time, leaving you with a blank piece of paper stapled to your records.
Definitely take photocopies of any thermal paper, the ink can fade within a matter of months.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Mububban wrote:
Kronos wrote:It's good that these bikes come with a lifetime warranty. I'd like to know exactly what is considered a "lifetime" though, is it for the reasonable life of a bike (under Australian consumer laws) or is it your lifetime? Is it also transferable to someone else or not? Given I've seen some pretty catastrophic failures such as this one (on a seat post) and on my brother's BMC team machine, I second guess the purpose of carbon for a daily which is another reason why I'm going back to steel for my own commuter bike.

Glad to see you got a favourable result none the less.
Not transferable I believe, but I've read online of people claiming frame replacements 10 years down the track with no problems, provided they can show their proof of purchase.
I've taken to photocopying my receipts as thermal paper can fade over time, leaving you with a blank piece of paper stapled to your records.
The official Giant wording is "for as long as you own the bike".

One caveat for owners of older bikes is that the "lifetime" warranty only came in around 2007 or so; prior to then it was a 10-year warranty. The valid warranty term is that which was current at the time the bike was purchased.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Kronos

Giant Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:36 pm

Well we (my brother and I) spent yesterday updating the Kronos to modern riding standards with SRAM DoubleTap brifters, a SRAM Rival groupset and chainset, SRAM Apex derailleur. It also has a new bottom bracket. Step 1 in making this bike capable of being rode. The next bit for me is to replace the 110mm quill with a shorter one and to get some new pedals also.

It feels good to be bringing an old bike back to life particularly a mixed bred like this. Check the modern Giant logo on a steel lugged frame bike :) The compact geometry, short top tube and frame size make it an almost perfect fit for me in a modern/classic setup. Job almost done, the first step was to upgrade to a modern group/chainset. The next is to make this bike blogworthy.

It's for sure not the lightest bike in the world but there is something cool about giving new life to an old bike.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 am

Nice work!

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Thanks mate.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Should i worry about this crack underneath the junction of the seat tube and stays on my 2016 model Defy Advanced 2 ? It's a couple of years old now, but i only ride 100km a week or so.

My local bike store has closed too, so it's now a couple of hours drive to the nearest dealer.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 pm

I would be if it were mine, looks like a flex fracture, but I'm not an expert.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

RichB

Postby RichB » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:58 am

Assuming your warranty is valid, cost benefit suggests a replacement frame if it all checks out. Up to you what you disclose on a public forum regarding usage, seatpost insertion etc.

I'd call the shop in advance and get them on board before making the trek.

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 am

If you're the original purchaser, then Giant should have no issue replacing the frame. I cracked my defy advanced 2 frame and they replaced it with a defy advanced one frame in a little over 1 week.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 am

stevenaaus wrote:Should i worry about this crack underneath the junction of the seat tube and stays on my 2016 model Defy Advanced 2 ? It's a couple of years old now, but i only ride 100km a week or so.

My local bike store has closed too, so it's now a couple of hours drive to the nearest dealer.

With such a good clear photo of the crack, you should be able to phone that store 2 hours away, email them the photo, then they're able to give their opinion before you get in the car, rather than drive 2 hours and be told it's not an issue.
And get their response via email if they tell you it's not a problem, in case they turn out to be wrong. But Giant seem to have a good rep for after sale service.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Yeah, thanks for the feedback. I'll contact a store and hopefully get it sorted.

It's a shame about the crack. I've come to really appreciate that bike as a do-anything roadie, but hopefully it won't be out of action for too long.

I got a new Shimano rotor and pads for the front brake yesterday.... gonna see if i can fix the pad fouling, noise and juddering around fast bends. Those cable TPR disc brakes are *so* close to being a great budget option... but not quite, and they were replaced in the 2017 model.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 pm

I would observe it, but not be too worried about it. That area of the frame is very solidly built, not only because of the loads that go into the bottom bracket area, but also because the chainstays are bonded in to that section there's a fair bit of ovelap material in the join area.

Additionally, due to the pigments and fillers, white paint is more brittle & prone to surface crazing than other colours, so it's very likely to be only a surface mark.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 pm

This happened today also for me today. I had my custom ordered 26.6mm Thomson Elite seat post delivered. Next step is probably a Nitto Quill stem if I still need more reach.

Last edited by Kronos on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:28 pm

Duck! wrote:I would observe it, but not be too worried about it. That area of the frame is very solidly built, not only because of the loads that go into the bottom bracket area, but also because the chainstays are bonded in to that section there's a fair bit of ovelap material in the join area.

Additionally, due to the pigments and fillers, white paint is more brittle & prone to surface crazing than other colours, so it's very likely to be only a surface mark.
'k, cheers.
So far I've got no reply from the city store, so i guess i'll just ride it and see what happens.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 am

stevenaaus wrote:
Duck! wrote:I would observe it, but not be too worried about it. That area of the frame is very solidly built, not only because of the loads that go into the bottom bracket area, but also because the chainstays are bonded in to that section there's a fair bit of ovelap material in the join area.

'k, cheers.
So far I've got no reply from the city store, so i guess i'll just ride it and see what happens.
I wouldn't... There's a perfectly good example of why I wouldn't either. I went and looked at a CAAD 5 that clearly had aluminum corrosion on the top tube. The owner complained till he was blue in the face that the damage was not structural and because Cannondale said it was OK he didn't do anything about it.

Any sign of structural damage like this should be fully investigated, and if your local bike shop wont investigate it, I'd contact the Giant service department myself if I were in your shoes. In the end it will either break at some point or you will have no resale value what so ever unless you sell it to an unsuspecting buyer. The later case is not really morally justifiable.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:56 pm

New Supacaz bartape:

Upgraded:
- Rear brake caliper
- Brake pads
- Front derailleur (R9100)
- Rear derailleur (R8000)
- New hoods
- Jagwire Links shift cables
- KMC X11EL chains

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 pm

New bike day ... new toy to get myself back into audax riding ...

New Bike Day by Andrew Priest (Aushiker), on Flickr
Andrew

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Aushiker wrote:New bike day ... new toy to get myself back into audax riding ...

New Bike Day by Andrew Priest (Aushiker), on Flickr
Nice, not subtle, but nice.
Hmm, Audax. When regular masochism just isn't enough.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm not normally one for bright and flash but I really like your new bike Andrew.
The highlighted wheels look excellent too.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:40 am

The flat pedal warrior. Enjoying the afternoon sun. I'm thinking I should lift my seat height by about an inch.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Nice, not subtle, but nice.
:) I think you have it summed up pretty nicely.
Hmm, Audax. When regular masochism just isn't enough.
:mrgreen:
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Tim wrote:I'm not normally one for bright and flash but I really like your new bike Andrew.
The highlighted wheels look excellent too.
Thanks Tim. I am pretty much of a similar view ... it is actually growing on me.
Andrew

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks Tim. I am pretty much of a similar view ... it is actually growing on me.
Like a fungus! :D

Seriously though, it does look damned good in the sun like that. Good stuff!