Show us your Giant road bike

jarwil80

Re: Show us your Giant road bike

Postby jarwil80 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Delivered by Santa yesterday, my first road bike, Giant Defy Advanced 3 2017.

The flat pedals look out of place on the bike, think road shoes and cleats won't be too far away.

Bike will have its first ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Giant Talon 4 2015
Giant Defy Advanced 3 2017

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:26 pm

jarwil80 wrote:Delivered by Santa yesterday, my first road bike, Giant Defy Advanced 3 2017.

Looks nice. Enjoy.
Andrew

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Can't show you my bike, because it's been at the LBS for a week waiting on a part from Giant :( So no commuting, group rides or training for an upcoming hills event for me.

FYI the mechanic found a small crack in the hydraulic converter unit on my first gen Giant Contend SL1 Disc. I had to provide proof of purchase for the warranty claim, and they're waiting on the part from Giant.

Still, this is why I booked it in for a checkup before the hills event. It wouldn't have been good to have a brake failure on a descent...
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Mububban wrote:FYI the mechanic found a small crack in the hydraulic converter unit on my first gen Giant Contend SL1 Disc. I had to provide proof of purchase for the warranty claim, and they're waiting on the part from Giant.

Uhhh that seems concerning! - Did the mechanic seem shocked by that discovery? - I want to buy a Contend but this converter puts me off a little bit.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:33 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Uhhh that seems concerning! - Did the mechanic seem shocked by that discovery? - I want to buy a Contend but this converter puts me off a little bit.

They're still waiting on the part from Giant so I haven't been back in person to get all the details. Should be by the end of the week, hopefully before the weekend!
He mentioned something about a crack where a grub screw goes in? I hadn't noticed any problems with braking in any way. Once I get details I'll let you know what he says.

No idea if it's a one-off as the Contend is such a new model.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:26 pm

The mechanic had to replace the whole Conduct hydraulic converter unit. He said the hairline crack was inside it, where the grub screw inserts and helps adjust the physical brake cable into the plunger (?) thingy that then pumps the hydraulic fluid. So full marks to him to spot a hairline crack, inside an all black component.

Now for my first road ride in 3 weeks tomorrow. The brake throw seems significantly shorter after the service than when I dropped it in so here's hoping I don't lock anything up.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Keen eyed mechanic, may have just saved you from injury. Buy that guy/gal a coffee next time you're nearby.
Mmm, SunTour