Giant Psl-1 wheels be warned!!

Nobody

Re: Giant Psl-1 wheels be warned!!

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Um, yeah. That makes much more sense. :oops: :oops: Sorry JA.

In that case 85Kg is supposed to be about average, but 90Kg+ is still a heavier than normal.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:37 pm

The next wheel up in the DT Swiss - Giant wheels must be a a big step up. I've smashed mine with no issues.

If a spoke snaps and is replaced make sure they retrue the wheel checking that all spokes are evenly tensioned and the wheel is true. Don't let them just throw in a spoke!

You should let Giant know about this, a message on Facebook page so they are aware of it.

JM

roadiematt

Postby roadiematt » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 pm

I have let Giant know of this issue and am awaiting a reply, the bad thing is that I broke a spoke a week ago then took to my bike to the dealer to get fixed, went for one ride and what do you know broken spoke time again. Am hoping for a new wheel set this week, it's really sad when my last bike a $800 Malvern star for which I owned for 2 years and treated the same smooth way never had a single wheel failure!! This new bike is 3 times as much this is simply not acceptable.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 pm

roadiematt wrote:Am hoping for a new wheel set this week, it's really sad when my last bike a $800 Malvern star for which I owned for 2 years and treated the same smooth way never had a single wheel failure!! This new bike is 3 times as much this is simply not acceptable.
Get used to it. The extra money doesn't necessarily go into extra durability. It usually goes into lighter products and newer (sometimes better) designs in various ways.

sylloxtric

Postby sylloxtric » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:08 am

I was 95kg when I bought my TCR Advanced 3 in July last year with the PSL1 wheelsystem. Never had issues with the wheels and the bike in general which has done over 2200 kms.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

roadiematt

Postby roadiematt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:19 am

sylloxtric wrote:I was 95kg when I bought my TCR Advanced 3 in July last year with the PSL1 wheelsystem. Never had issues with the wheels and the bike in general which has done over 2200 kms.
Seems to be luck of the the draw with machine made wheels as I now know of 5 of people with snapped spokes on these wheels
Sent using Tapatalk 2
Seems to be luck of the draw with these wheels as I now know of 5 other people with broken spokes issues!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 am

To be honest, I'd want to be 100% sure the LBS were good mechanics and wheel builders. I've had so many issues with poor or neglectful mechanics over the years, I consider it the norm, not the exception. I've got a good one now, but even his offsider is dubious.
If you do a lot of riding, acquiring core maintenance skills yourself will at least allow you to check the work of your mechanic/s.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 am

Interesting this. For some reason I have never ben attracted to Giant as a brand. Perhaps just as well. I am over 6' and about 112-115kgs depending on how my diet is that week. I never weigh less than 112kg.

I ride a schwinn entry level bike with original chinese xero wheelset and haven't been gentle on them and they are fine. For Giant to be worse than these I would think there is good cuase to go for a lemon claim under the retail goods regulations.

I am in WA if you want your wheels really tested, let me know :D

roadiematt

Postby roadiematt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Good news on the wheel front Giant have agreed to give me a set of RS61 wheels in warranty for the PSL-1s!! thankyou Giant for your help.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 am

Kudos Giant. I appreciate the follow up on this as often it is easier to discuss problems while reporting satisfactory or exemplary customer service is less common.
Cycling is in my BNA

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Nobody wrote:
JessicaAlba wrote:Bigger? I'm just on 6ft and weigh 85-odd...does this class me as bigger??

(ps, I do not have these rims, just balked at the suggestion anyone around 90k could be classed as big...)
Is 6 foot tall for a girl? Yes. Is 85Kg heavy for a girl?... I'm not going to answer that in case you hunt me down. :mrgreen:

Average weight for a man is ~82Kg.
JA isn't a girl...
I love how his username keeps tripping people. It makes me giggle. JA - maybe put a picture of a male as your avatar to sort the problem out? :lol:

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:17 pm

roadiematt wrote:Good news on the wheel front Giant have agreed to give me a set of RS61 wheels in warranty for the PSL-1s!! thankyou Giant for your help.
great result! Props to Giant for that.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Giant prolly got the best warranty in the business.

Still, maybe its the universe saying you need to drop some kg Matt. :wink:

roadiematt

Postby roadiematt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 am

durianrider wrote:Giant prolly got the best warranty in the business.

Still, maybe its the universe saying you need to drop some kg Matt. :wink:
To be fair Durianrider you dont even know me, i am only 82 klgs this is by no means BIG!!! Even Giant told me my weight had no bearing on these wheels failing!! that comment is very insulting.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:40 am

I've heard of lots of people having problems with these wheels. I know a lot of people with these bikes, and I'm struggling to think of people that haven't had issues..

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:44 am

dynamictiger wrote:Interesting this. For some reason I have never ben attracted to Giant as a brand. Perhaps just as well. I am over 6' and about 112-115kgs depending on how my diet is that week. I never weigh less than 112kg.

I ride a schwinn entry level bike with original chinese xero wheelset and haven't been gentle on them and they are fine. For Giant to be worse than these I would think there is good cuase to go for a lemon claim under the retail goods regulations.
I'm not sure that is really fair. In cycling often the most expensive products that perform the best are less durable than the cheaper options.

Having said that giant do have issues here....

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 am

It sounds like the wheels may not have the correct spoke tension from the factory - once a spoke goes and is replaced a lot of shops will not fully retrue the wheel.
I've have it on my first bike a Merida, they replace the spoke and a few days later snap. A different spoke goes. You really need to find a place that takes the time to replace the spoke then retension every single spoke.
A cheap true wheel with the correct even spoke tension should still be very strong.
Good result that Giant came to the party with the wheels.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:15 am

Yesterday I rode with a guy whose Giant had PSL-0 wheels. He says the rear flexes and rubs on the brakes when out of the saddle. I was having a look at the rear wheel and noticed a kink in one of the spokes around five cm from the nipple. Don't know what happened there but I suggested he get that spoke replaced.

roadiematt

Postby roadiematt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:33 pm

I have come to realise that lighter is not always better, strength is the most important factor!!! As well as the beautiful RS61s Giant gave me under warranty I have just taken delivery of some Pro-Lite Comos as a training wheel, these so far seem if not a little heavy very strong.

Toxteth

Postby Toxteth » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:14 am

Well after breaking three rear spokes I've now had a front spoke break as well.

Given up on the P-SL1 wheel set and had it replaced.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:46 am

I had no problems with Psl-0 wheels but upgraded them after about 5000 k's, but know of instances where a rider has broken a spoke on that type of wheel whilst descending. Online there is very mixed reviews of the Giant branded wheels, seems the quality consistency is way off.

scotto

Postby scotto » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:00 am

roadiematt wrote:
biker jk wrote:The Giant PSL-1 wheelset has 18 front and 24 rear spokes which sounds low for heavier riders. I wouldn't build a wheelset for a +80kg rider with so few spokes. Yes Shimano does it but the spokes have very high tension and the rims can take it. With the non-drive side laced radially there are no pulling spokes as such to transmit torsional force so the drive side spokes have to do all the work. The DT Champion spokes used are straight gauge rather than butted and so don't tend to stretch as much to share the load with other spokes when the wheel hits a bump.
Great post thanks, the frustrating thing for me when I bought the bike I was 96klg, I wish the bikeshop would have recommended either a different bike or a wheel with a higher spoke count. Thx for post.
I still believe bikes hops tend to recommend what they have in stock

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:19 am

roadiematt wrote:I have come to realise that lighter is not always better, strength is the most important factor!!! As well as the beautiful RS61s Giant gave me under warranty I have just taken delivery of some Pro-Lite Comos as a training wheel, these so far seem if not a little heavy very strong.
There are wheels that are both light and very durable. Two that come to mind are Durace c24 and fulcrum racing 1/0.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 pm

Comedian wrote:
roadiematt wrote:I have come to realise that lighter is not always better, strength is the most important factor!!! As well as the beautiful RS61s Giant gave me under warranty I have just taken delivery of some Pro-Lite Comos as a training wheel, these so far seem if not a little heavy very strong.
There are wheels that are both light and very durable. Two that come to mind are Durace c24 and fulcrum racing 1/0.
At the end of the day, durable depends on k's, bodyweight, and road surface....it means something different if you ride >30k from the cbd.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Slightly off topic but a few years ago (about 2006 i think?) there was an issue with a huge number of spokes from a chinese company going onto all sorts of different brands of road and mountain bikes that hadn't been made properly and were snapping (or at least that's what the LBS told me, and i have no reason not to believe him). That was an issue on my first road bike, a Jamis with Alex rims and shimano hubs, i think 9 spokes were replaced under warranty on that before the local distributor replaced the wheelset altogether. Maybe something like this is what has happened with the Giant wheels?