Giant Psl-1 wheels be warned!!

Nobody

Re: Giant Psl-1 wheels be warned!!

Postby Nobody » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:10 pm

cplus wrote:32 spoke front?

How much do you weigh? 350pounds?? :)
Bike and I used to weigh about 210 pounds. Lost about 20 pounds since then. That front wheel broke a spoke when I hit it on a tree stump while carrying it. It was a disc wheel, however when I broke a rear 28 spoked wheel spoke, it didn't hit the V brake pads either. Just wrapped it and continued my ride.

Proprietary low spoke count wheels usually have larger cross sectional area spokes.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:30 am

cplus wrote:32 spoke front?

How much do you weigh? 350pounds?? :)
How old are you to think that a 32 spoke wheel is for the larger rider?

cplus

Postby cplus » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Relax, it was a joke. Hence the smiley.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Took the front wheel in to where i bought it from, guy said he would change the spoke under warranty, then had a look for a few minutes and came back and said get the bike and we'll swap the wheels out (didn't even have to ask), and they changed them for a set of shimano r500's.

Only took a day too, so pretty good service.
I assume the r500's are a similar wheelset in terms of cost/performance?

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Bah77 wrote:Took the front wheel in to where i bought it from, guy said he would change the spoke under warranty, then had a look for a few minutes and came back and said get the bike and we'll swap the wheels out (didn't even have to ask), and they changed them for a set of shimano r500's.

R500 are basically 1800g+ $99 wheels

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:58 pm

Yeah i googled that, but i am still a relative newb at riding so what that actually means was more my question.

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Bah77 wrote:Yeah i googled that, but i am still a relative newb at riding so what that actually means was more my question.
The R500 are a good cheap training/commuting wheelset that are fairly strong. I personally think the Giant PSL-1 are better, but I haven't had any problems with them like most are...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:01 pm

The R500s are not light by any stretch of the imagination. However they are good, robust reliable wheels. They fit the strong & cheap side of the "light, strong, cheap - choose two" equation very well.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:20 pm

R500s are pretty much in the same ballpark, they're at least better than the factory Alex rims/no name hubs you see on a lot of bikes. Compared to the Aksiums, they give a less comfortable ride and don't have quite the same zip to them, but they're not bad and I've never had a problem with them.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:51 am

From what I gather from when I bought my Propel recently and was somewhat worried about the PSLR Aeros, Giant has a fairly good relationship it would seen (unsurprisingly) with Shimano and Shimano will replace any of the Giant branded wheels for them apparently.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:16 am

rabobank89 wrote:
Bah77 wrote:Took the front wheel in to where i bought it from, guy said he would change the spoke under warranty, then had a look for a few minutes and came back and said get the bike and we'll swap the wheels out (didn't even have to ask), and they changed them for a set of shimano r500's.

R500 are basically 1800g+ $99 wheels
I picked up a set for that price for the better half. No way I could build a similar set for $99. They use standard j-bend spokes and more of them, unlike the other Shimano wheels, so spoke replacement (if ever needed) is simple and inexpensive.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:17 pm

I have had problems with my Psl-1 wheels since I bought my Giant 8 months ago, as it would never stay true.
Upon close inspection the rim showed cracking at each drive side spoke on the rear. I took it back to the shop today, so I am expecting a replacement soon.
I use the wheels to commute and as training wheels, and very occasionally race on them.
I am I best off asking for R501 wheels or a giant wheel?
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:08 am

From professional experience, it seems to be standard practice for the Giant wheels to be replaced with Shimano ones. Given where the P-SL1 sits in Giant's wheel range, it's more likely you'll get a RS31 than a R501.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:11 am

Thanks Duck.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Duck! wrote:From professional experience, it seems to be standard practice for the Giant wheels to be replaced with Shimano ones. Given where the P-SL1 sits in Giant's wheel range, it's more likely you'll get a RS31 than a R501.
Also, giant and Shimano share the same importer in Australia so it makes sense from that POV too.

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Carrots wrote:From what I gather from when I bought my Propel recently and was somewhat worried about the PSLR Aeros, Giant has a fairly good relationship it would seen (unsurprisingly) with Shimano and Shimano will replace any of the Giant branded wheels for them apparently.

What is you opinion on the P-SLR Aeros? How they ride etc...
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

jack11

Postby jack11 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:41 am

So I have now also had issues with a Giant wheelset (Psl-0) after only 9 months and approx 2500km. Snapped two spokes within two weeks of each other. Took the wheels back to the bike shop where I purchased them each time, first time they repaired the wheel but they have now said they will contact Giant to get a replacement wheelset. They suggested that they would try and replace them with Mavic Cosmics (I assume they mean the Cosmic Elites rather than any of the carbon wheelsets). Are these roughly similar in quality/price to the Giant Psl-0s? ie is it a fair swap?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun May 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Regarding the PSLR Aero wheels I haven't had any issues with them. Today I noticed the rear one has started to go a bit out of true but I'll fix that next time I go to work. Across the race bike and trainer bike they have clocked up about 8700km. I weight 68-71kg. I've ran them multiple times in the 70kph+ and into the 90kph bracket and there were no vibrations or anything like that. Just so people know there are multiple versions of the aero wheelset. One seems to be a shallow rim with a plastic type casing while the other set is a stiff carbon section all the way to the aluminum braking surface. The reason for the difference between the two seems to be because of the bike specs ie found on lower spec'd TCR/Propel Advanced with the stiff carbon coming on the higher end TCR/Propel Advanced SL's. The easiest way to tell the difference is the simple tap test. There has also been some talk regarding the aero wheelsets over at the Giant Propel thread - http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 7&start=75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/mrcam ... b.mp4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Sun May 04, 2014 3:34 pm

In regards to the aero wheels I had a discussion with Giant's product manager.

He told me that there are two versions of the Aero wheels. The shrouds on both wheels are carbon fibre. The difference between the two is the way the spokes mount onto the rim. Also, the later version weighs in at 1800g against about 1600g for the earlier version.

All Giant bikes sold with the aero wheel set now have the later version fitted.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

jack11

Postby jack11 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:14 am

jack11 wrote:So I have now also had issues with a Giant wheelset (Psl-0) after only 9 months and approx 2500km. Snapped two spokes within two weeks of each other. Took the wheels back to the bike shop where I purchased them each time, first time they repaired the wheel but they have now said they will contact Giant to get a replacement wheelset. They suggested that they would try and replace them with Mavic Cosmics (I assume they mean the Cosmic Elites rather than any of the carbon wheelsets). Are these roughly similar in quality/price to the Giant Psl-0s? ie is it a fair swap?
Went ahead and had the Psl-0's swapped out for free under warranty by Cyc'd for bikes in Brisbane. Any thoughts on the 'fairness' of this swap? I know they are roughly the same price.

Carrots

Giant Psl-1 wheels be warned!!

Postby Carrots » Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 am

jack11 wrote:
jack11 wrote:So I have now also had issues with a Giant wheelset (Psl-0) after only 9 months and approx 2500km. Snapped two spokes within two weeks of each other. Took the wheels back to the bike shop where I purchased them each time, first time they repaired the wheel but they have now said they will contact Giant to get a replacement wheelset. They suggested that they would try and replace them with Mavic Cosmics (I assume they mean the Cosmic Elites rather than any of the carbon wheelsets). Are these roughly similar in quality/price to the Giant Psl-0s? ie is it a fair swap?
Went ahead and had the Psl-0's swapped out for free under warranty by Cyc'd for bikes in Brisbane. Any thoughts on the 'fairness' of this swap? I know they are roughly the same price.
You'd certainly think the Mavic's are a better deal than the Giant branded wheels quality wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 08, 2014 8:24 am

Mavics quick release system certainly does suck :P

jack11

Postby jack11 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:37 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Mavics quick release system certainly does suck :P
I've never had Mavic wheels before - please explain

cplus

Postby cplus » Thu May 08, 2014 9:13 am

You've got a better deal. The giant and magic may have the same RRP, but difference is you might actually see someone pay the RRP for the mavic wheels from time to time.

Granted I've only ever had aksiums - but what's so bd about the skewers? I thought they were fine?

The ratchet system that giant use (DT Swiss) is a love or hate affair for many. I wasn't a huge fan personally - levers like shimano, mavic, etc are easier to tell how tight things are before you're grinding a drop out with circular movement.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 08, 2014 7:05 pm

jack11 wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Mavics quick release system certainly does suck :P
I've never had Mavic wheels before - please explain
Just the way you pull back on the skewer. If they are good and tight you can sometimes end up getting a snake bite on your finger as they tend to flick open at the last second.