Giant vector seatpost

Giant vector seatpost

Postby Manthony79 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi all, I have recently found a fracture on the rear (narrow) side of the seatpost of my '09 defy advanced. Last time I adjusted the seatpost was a couple of years ago using the specified torque. Giant won't cover it under warranty and are saying the post was crushed from over tightening. I always had the impression that carbon fibre should crack immediately if it was over tightened not years later. The frustrating thing is that I'm stuck with the giant vector seatpost with this frame and giant will only replace it for the full price. Has anyone else had the problem with these seatposts?
Manthony79

by BNA » Fri May 16, 2014 1:08 am

BNA

Re: Giant vector seatpost

Postby Duck! » Fri May 16, 2014 1:08 am

Get the frame checked out by a Giant dealer. I had one at work a couple of years ago where the frame was thinner than it should be around the top of the seat tube. This resulted in the clamp pulling in more than it should, even at less than maximum specified torque on the bolt, and cracking the post. We went through a couple of posts before discovering this. Giant replaced the frame under warranty.

I can't say that's the case in this instance without seeing the frame, but given that it has happened before, it's worth your while to at least look into it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Return to Giant