Santa brought me a Defy Advanced Pro 0

srl

Santa brought me a Defy Advanced Pro 0

Postby srl » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Okay, so it was actually me buying myself a new bike for Chrissie, but wow. I traded up from an 08 Specialized Tarmac Comp with 105/Ultegra (and a frame size a couple too big - the joys of buying when you are a newbie). A big shout out to Scott at St Ives Cyclery who got in the bike and set it up for me. Great to have a switched on local bike shop who go the extra mile. I changed the white bar tape to black and I am currently trialling a couple of saddles from SMP and F'izik to get the right one.

Took it for my first ride today for about 30km. First impressions: smooth and comfortable with an upright stance suitable for the mature rider (51 in my case). The compact di2 gives great climbing compared to the old 105. I found I was holding the front crank for much longer and getting good power. Hydraulic brakes are a bit mushy compared with caliber brakes. I expect they'll be worth their weight in wet weather ... but as I don't ride in wet, I think it might be overkill. But above all, the bike just looks wicked! Everyone who's seen it has fallen for it. Very happy.

Grgic

Re: Santa brought me a Defy Advanced Pro 0

Postby Grgic » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:42 pm

From a future Defy Advanced Pro 0 owner (got one on layby), congratulations on your purchase!
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:07 am

Congrats on the purchase such an awesome bike! I am finding discs to be great in the dry on descents and a god send on wet descents. I don't like riding in the rain bike you can't help when you get caught in the rain ( I was caught at the top of Mt Donna and had about 15k of descending in the rain didn't miss a beat!) you will fall for it more the more you ride it!

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Cmm wrote:Congrats on the purchase such an awesome bike! I am finding discs to be great in the dry on descents and a god send on wet descents. I don't like riding in the rain bike you can't help when you get caught in the rain ( I was caught at the top of Mt Donna and had about 15k of descending in the rain didn't miss a beat!) you will fall for it more the more you ride it!
You certainly do look like you descend with confidence with discs :wink:
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:08 pm

All looks strydz lol

How's the hunt for new forks going mate?

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:23 pm

srl wrote: Hydraulic brakes are a bit mushy compared with caliber brakes. I expect they'll be worth their weight in wet weather ... but as I don't ride in wet, I think it might be overkill. But above all, the bike just looks wicked! Everyone who's seen it has fallen for it. Very happy.
Yes - they are slightly 'mushy' at the start. I thought so too when i first rode my SL 1 on Beach Rd - but once they are bedded in they are great - i'm riding more mountainous routes now and i have absolutely 100% confidence in the disc slowing or stopping me down when i need them to. It's truly 1 finger braking (each hand) even on very steep descents. I can't imagine needing anything more than these 140mm discs - for me there's plenty of efficient stopping power. Trek uses the 160mm on their equivalent Domane disc - I think that 's probably too big for road uses.

The Defy Advanced Pro loses nothing to the SL 1 in terms of looks !!!! it looks great too.

srl

Postby srl » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:44 pm

Had the opportunity to use the brakes in anger and you're right - they are awesome. Can't believe how quick the bike is. Always thought the old Specialized was pretty good, but the Giant gives so much confidence on the downhill. Happily belting down the Bobbin Head loop - Strava tells me a max of about 62km/h, which is plenty fast enough for this scaredy-cat. Very happy, and about to fit a new SMP saddle for added butt-laxation.

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Did Giant raised their RRP prices? - The SL 1 is now listed as 4,999. I thought it was at 4,799 a few months ago.

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Yeah as of jan 1st the rrp has been raised due to the Aussie dollar being a little soft

nsr0772

Postby nsr0772 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:44 am

Great bike ive had mine for 2 months now. Paid $3800 for it from my LBS

tomee

Postby tomee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:15 pm

Bought mine in late December and it already developed a crack near the bottom bracket.

Took it back to where I bought it from and their response was "I don't think it's a crack, they don't crack like that. I'll get the rep to check it when he's in"

A little worrying

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 pm

What model is that tomee? Is that on the down tube side of the bb? I am awaiting my warranty frame due this week or next mine cracked on the seat tube just above the derailleur hanger

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Cmm wrote:What model is that tomee? Is that on the down tube side of the bb? I am awaiting my warranty frame due this week or next mine cracked on the seat tube just above the derailleur hanger
Judging by the title of the thread I'd say it's an Advanced Pro 0. :lol:

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Haha only thing is tomee wasn't the op so he may have something different

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Cmm wrote:Haha only thing is tomee wasn't the op so he may have something different
Read his post above which says "bought mine". Presumably in response to the thread title.

tomee

Postby tomee » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:14 pm

Cmm wrote:What model is that tomee? Is that on the down tube side of the bb? I am awaiting my warranty frame due this week or next mine cracked on the seat tube just above the derailleur hanger
hey, yeah it a advanced pro 0.

and the crack is on the down tube drive side.

what was your process from bringing it into the store to having it approved for warranty? and how bad was your crack?

im yet to here from my lbs

unbent

Postby unbent » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:57 pm

Is this a common problem been thinking about picking one up?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:17 pm

I was in a Giant store today looking at the Defy Advanced SL1, Advanced Pro 0 and Advanced Pro 1. I noticed that some bikes had the front brake cable passing between the tyre and the fork. Others didn't use this routing, instead passing over the fork to the cable holder on the left fork blade. Passing it between the tyre and the fork doesn't appear correct. How is the front brake cable on your bikes routed?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Might have been set up by a mountain biker - standard brake routing off-road is inside the fork leg.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:36 pm

Duck! wrote:Might have been set up by a mountain biker - standard brake routing off-road is inside the fork leg.
Sounds likely. The sales person, told me that's how mountain bikes are routed. But the routing wasn't consistent across the different road bike models. I know how I would route it. At least the metal front derailleur support was fitted to the seat tube beside the braze on mount, unlike quite a few bikes which have been sold by other shops.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:36 pm

You can always tell when a roadie has set up a MTB, the brake line is on the outside. :P

It does depend on the brake and even where the guides are located to an extent - calipers with the hose attachment on the inboard side do lend themselves to inward-routing moreso than calipers with an outboard hose/cable entry.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:50 am

How is everyone enjoying the bike having had it a fair while.

Any issues to report besides the crack ?
Disc rotors lining up fine with the quick release hubs?

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:46 pm

I'd be interested to know too as I'm still paying off the one I put on layby.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tomee

Postby tomee » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:07 pm

rusty842 wrote:How is everyone enjoying the bike having had it a fair while.

loving mine.
no issues with the new frame (so far)
lining up discs is easy as ive taken off both wheels a couple of times.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:27 pm

tomee wrote:
rusty842 wrote:How is everyone enjoying the bike having had it a fair while.

loving mine.
no issues with the new frame (so far)
lining up discs is easy as ive taken off both wheels a couple of times.
Good to know. I think I will buy one on Monday then. The rotor with quick release was my only concern.