Santa brought me a Defy Advanced Pro 0

Machoman121

Re: Santa brought me a Defy Advanced Pro 0

Postby Machoman121 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:56 pm

I have the SL 1 - and it's a GREAT bike to be riding the mountains with it. I recently looked closely at the R685 disc brakes of mine and noticed there's hardly any space between the pads and the rotors - i mean not even 1mm - it's like the pads are just resting lightly on the rotors. I've never heard any rubbing and don't think i felt any resistance but i was just wondering if there is some very tiny resistance generated from the pad/rotor combination?

I previously had the Defy Composite 2 - a really nice bike (probably not as stiff as the SL1) - and deep in my heart of hearts think that I was maybe a touch faster in that - or is it in my mind as i never measured it in any way. I remembered riding on Beach rd and was able to stay behind some riders for awhile- occasionally even overtaking them - but with the SL 1 I seriously struggled to stay with them and rarely overtook. I even joked to my colleagues that no matter how much i ride everyone still overtakes me.

I certainly wouldn't time trial on a disc brake bike - the tiny resistance from the pad/rotor could impede on the performance.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:38 pm

If you're not hearing it, it's not touching. Try spinning your wheels while it's inverted. If you don;t hear rub sounds, it's liely not rubbing.

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:16 pm

I've closed the garage door and put my ears to the front hub and gave it a whirl - can't hear anything. So i guess from that we can deduce it's not rubbing at all?

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:24 pm

A bit of rub is not a bad thing. The added resistance helps build leg muscle. :mrgreen:

My Avids on my Reign occasionally get a spec of something wedged in or or the edge of the pads and you will hear it when they're rubbing.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:50 pm

tomee wrote:Bought mine in late December and it already developed a crack near the bottom bracket.
Image :(

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:50 pm

how old is the bike jerrah? seems as though they have had some teething issues

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Cmm wrote:how old is the bike jerrah? seems as though they have had some teething issues
I suspect Giant was pushing the envelope in producing a disc brake frame somewhat lighter than the previous Defy.

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:01 pm

Yeah possibly true. Interesting to see how this plays out over time as most I heard of originaly where around the bb but now the tt/st junction ala Anthems from a few years back

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Cmm wrote:how old is the bike jerrah? seems as though they have had some teething issues
My Defy was delivered in early December 2014 and I did about 6000km before I noticed the crack. Hopefully the replacement gives me a long and uneventful ownership. If I get a fault on the next one I'll think hard about selling it and trying something else.

I love riding the bike, but it was a bit disappointing.

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Finally got the Defy back! I haven't checked it all over or ridden it yet. It's the same colour and spec frame (advanced pro 0) as before.

Interestingly the shop weighed it for me and it came in at 9.5kg including pedals! Much heavier than I would have thought!

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:54 am

Is it heavier than the old one?
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:11 am

jerrah wrote:Finally got the Defy back! I haven't checked it all over or ridden it yet. It's the same colour and spec frame (advanced pro 0) as before.

Interestingly the shop weighed it for me and it came in at 9.5kg including pedals! Much heavier than I would have thought!
Was that the weight of the bike just with pedals or was there anything else fitted? 9.5kg is way high compared to the 7.9kg (no pedals, small size) I've seen referenced a few times. That's even accounting for a larger sized frame and pedals.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/lightcycle/arch ... 68162.html

http://www.giant.so/thread-4052-1-1.html

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:40 pm

PiratePete wrote:Is it heavier than the old one?
I hadn't measured the old frame with the same scales but it looks identical to the old one. I'd highly doubt it was significantly different. Unless they've made the warranty frames thicker due to some of them cracking?
biker jk wrote:Was that the weight of the bike just with pedals or was there anything else fitted? 9.5kg is way high compared to the 7.9kg (no pedals, small size) I've seen referenced a few times. That's even accounting for a larger sized frame and pedals.
Fully assembled large framed bike with Dura Ace SPD-L's, 25mm GP4000sII's, and a Barfly Garmin mount. Scales were shops Park Tool unit.

Have any other bicycles.net.au members weighed their assembled Defy Advanced 0's?

Alpinerider

Postby Alpinerider » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:45 pm

jerrah wrote: Fully assembled large framed bike with Dura Ace SPD-L's, 25mm GP4000sII's, and a Barfly Garmin mount. Scales were shops Park Tool unit.

Have any other bicycles.net.au members weighed their assembled Defy Advanced 0's?
I have a M/L that weighs 8.5kg with XTR SPDs, garmin mount, elite bottle cage and slime tubes.

The slime tubes add about 200g over the tubes that came with the bike.

At the shop it weighed 8kg without pedals.

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:44 pm

weighed mine with a luggage scales which came to 8.2kg with XT spd pedals for a M frame

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 pm

I weighed mine when I got it new. The only thing I had on it was speedplay pedals. Weight was 8.4kgs.

M/L frame
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Funnily enough I have the only "Large" one. I don't know what it weighed with the original frame. Since then I've changed tyres, tubes, seat and handlebar tape. I guess it's theoretically possible that these all together add up to some of the difference but I would have thought it's fairly marginal.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:39 pm

jerrah wrote:Funnily enough I have the only "Large" one. I don't know what it weighed with the original frame. Since then I've changed tyres, tubes, seat and handlebar tape. I guess it's theoretically possible that these all together add up to some of the difference but I would have thought it's fairly marginal.
I would say a L versus M/L sized frame might add 50g-100g to the total weight so it sounds like the bike shop's scales are wrong.