Giant Revolt

greenalias

Giant Revolt

Postby greenalias » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:10 pm

I bought a Revolt 2 in early January. Since then a couple of friends have been around the Melbourne shops looking to buy one also but it seems that they're all sold out. Is it possible that Giant may have underestimated the demand and not brought in a sufficient quantity to Australia?

I'd be very interested to hear from other Revolt owners, how you feel about the bike and where you ride. (BTW I've also got another 2 Giant bikes - a 2013 Defy Advance 1 and a 2009 Alias MTB)

octagonalman

Re: Giant Revolt

Postby octagonalman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:30 pm

I bought a Revolt 2 just last week after waiting two months for the shop to bring it in. With Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 50-622 the bike is already 12kg but rolls so nicely (I do notice the difference on the poorly maintained bike paths with tree roots fighting through).

What are your thoughts one year on?

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:49 pm

octagonalman wrote:the bike is already 12kg
:shock: That's almost as heavy as my dual sus.

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:17 pm

I have had a Revolt 3 since September and i am happy. I couldn't tell what sizes tyres but they are Maxis ReFuse road tyres and bury themselves in gravel, not that this is related to the bike, i set it up for road and path with occasional excursions to see where a track leads to.
One thing i have noticed is riding with a mate who has a Bianchi worth 3 times my bike, he rolls away from me down hill.

octagonalman

Postby octagonalman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:58 am

simonn wrote:
haha. My hardtail is 13kg so my expectations were managed.

Hmm the handlebar position is pretty high. JPB, have you tried narrowing down the main cause of rolling down slower? The Revolt is almost definitely heavier than the Bianchi so you'd be getting gravity assist! :)

JPB

Postby JPB » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:34 am

octagonalman wrote:
simonn wrote:
haha. My hardtail is 13kg so my expectations were managed.

Hmm the handlebar position is pretty high. JPB, have you tried narrowing down the main cause of rolling down slower? The Revolt is almost definitely heavier than the Bianchi so you'd be getting gravity assist! :)
My mate is heavier than me!
And he probably has faster tyres and running at a higher pressure (I have mine at 90 for comfort on my off road excursions) and his wheels cost as much as my entire bike. I look at it that a Ferrari should beat a commodore, just a better bike all round and the gravity assist running in his favour.

Must say I like the auxiliary brake levers as I can sit up in cruise mode and still have full braking ability. Nice in congested areas.

GTPilot

Postby GTPilot » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:20 pm

JPB wrote: One thing i have noticed is riding with a mate who has a Bianchi worth 3 times my bike, he rolls away from me down hill.
1) Drag - big fat hard compound tyres with plenty of rolling resistance
2) Heavy tyres and outer wheel rims, take more watts to get moving, and keep moving
3) Cheap wheels with average bearings
4) etc.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:53 pm

greenalias wrote:I bought a Revolt 2 in early January......BTW I've also got another 2 Giant bikes - a 2013 Defy Advance 1 and a 2009 Alias MTB)
I'm still waiting to find that magical money tree, but I'm tossing up a Revolt vs a Defy, mostly for commuting (with a backpack, not panniers) and I want to start doing a week long cycle tour/holiday every 18 months or so. The triple chainrings appeal to me as I've always ridden MTBs and rely on spinning my way up some hills.

I know they cover slightly different briefs, but how do you compare the Defy and the Revolt?
Can the Defy fit 28mm tyres?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!