Tyres Question : Giant Defy Comp 2 (2013)

Defy The Odds

Tyres Question : Giant Defy Comp 2 (2013)

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding tyres.

I am a big believer in having good, decent rubber on your wheels (be it bikes, cars, etc). The defy tyres that come standard seem very hard wearing and tough which is great for average Melbourne suburban roads.

I recently purchased Michelin Pro 3 tyres in 23mm for a very good price as I wanted a better set (was going to replace them for spring time when I ride more often). I am now thinking maybe 25mm or even 28mm would be better as I really enjoy going for longer rides however I'd like some advice from other riders (perhaps defy owners?) regarding:

Did it make a difference to:

1. Comfort
2. Average speed
3. Rolling resistence
4. Anything else??

As I have started riding longer rides, comfort is a big factor really. Not sure if I can get clearance for 25mm or even 28mm tyres on my defy.

Thoughts??

Cheers,

Jay [emoji3]

Duck!
Expert

Re: Tyres Question : Giant Defy Comp 2 (2013)

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:56 pm

The Defy is an endurance/recreational series of bike, it will comfortably fit 28s.

The thing you'll find with the Pro 3 is that's it's primarily a race tyre, so it's a soft compound. This makes it fast and very grippy, at the expense of durability. The bigger "bag" of 25 or 28mm allows you to run at lower pressure, which gives better compliance over small bump chatter, improving comfort over longer rides.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks Duck !!

Yeah my experience tells me softer rubber is more supple which is why I went for the Pro 3 also (as well as fantastic price). I was a bit weary of the puncture resistence but time will tell.

Question though:

If it will fit up to 28's, is it better to go 28's rather than 25's?

Also, will the lower tyre pressure slow me down?

Thanks again !

Jay

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Also, what tyre recommendations could you give me perhaps in those sizes?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:24 pm

Only if you go to low (yes I know that's a bit vague). You can reduce your pressure by about 25psi from what you run in 23s, or about 15 from 25s (which I think is the stock size on the Defy) with no loss of performance. Tyre pressure is a bit of a balancing act, and does vary depending on rider weight. Too high & you actually increase rolling resistance because the tyre is unable to absorb road chatter, and skips over the surface, so the wheels' rotation becomes out of kilter with the bike's ground speed. If you go too low you get a lot of tyre deformation, which not only excessively increases your contact area, but some of your energy is lost in the flex of the tyres. Very low pressure also increases your risk of pinch flats.

25s are probably the better option. 28s will give a better ride, but the greater contact patch may begin to have some effect on efficiency. 25s if anything are probably faster than 23s, because you've got the gain in compliance, and resulting improved rolling resistance, with minimal increase in contact area, which offsets the gain through compliance.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks for the detailed response.

My Giant came from factory with 23's. To be honest its more compliant on rough surface than my Giant Roam Hybrid.

I think I might sell the Michelin Pro 3's and get a set of 25's

Any particular brand that would suit my needs best?

I dont ride in rain but rarely on a damp pavement after a night of drizzle or light rain. Mainly ride in dry conditions.

Thanks again for the detailed response this is the kind of info I was looking for.

Duck, have you changed from 23 to 25's on your bike (s)? Did you end up going back to 23's or were 25's your preferred width?

Apologies for so many questions, just trying to better educate myself.

Thank you once more.

Jay

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:15 am

Most of my riding is actually on 2.1" tyres (MTB, tubeless, about 22psi). My two roadies (commuter & "play" bike that doesn't get a lot of use now) are on 23s, 'cos that's what we had most of at work last time I put tyres on them..... My commuter came with 25s originally (although the front one only lasted a week, so didn't get that much of a feel for it), and did feel a bit better.

Your roadie's carbon frame will be a huge factor in the better compliance than your Roam, despite the latter's suspension fork. Carbon is very good at absorbing road vibration, while aluminiuim is very rigid.

Continental Grand Prix 4000S or Schwalbe One would be a couple of good all-rounder options to investigate. They're not quite as fast as full-on race tyres, but a lot more durable, but not as heavy as really tough training tyres.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:20 am

I guess I'll be doing some reviews and taking a punt. The Schalwbe One's look good but reviews tell me not very puncture resistent (very soft compound) and so may be GP 4000s

Looking forward to trying on a decent pair on a long ride. Will try a pair for the Round The Bay In A Day coming up I think.

Cheers Duck !

[emoji106] [emoji3]

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:38 pm

If anyone else can advise of a good set of "all rounder" tyres for Melbourne roads.

Was thinking something like the Vittoria Pave... thoughts? suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Jay

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:45 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:
Did it make a difference to:

1. Comfort
2. Average speed
3. Rolling resistence
4. Anything else??
If those are your priorities, then forget everything else and get the widest tyre that will fit from Compass Bicycle - either in in-house or Grand Bois.

E

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 pm

Hey Espresso,

Have you used these tyres before? You rate them? I've never heard of them. They are bloody expensive !

Basically, I want a fairly comfy tyre with some puncture protection and rolls nicely. I know you can't have it all, but I'd like something that will roll a little easier and lighter especially on climbs.

It seems some very varied responses on this topic from my research... decisions! !!

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:50 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Hey Espresso,

Have you used these tyres before? You rate them? I've never heard of them. They are bloody expensive !
I have only tried the 650bx42mm Grand Bois on my road bike (which are probably the comfiest and fastest of the lot). The 700c versions are meant to be pretty good too. They're expensive for a reason.

They aren't the most puncture resistant of tyres, though (I run mine tubeless with Stan's and that takes care of punctures for me). But comfortable and very fast? Yes.

They will transform your bike. Note: this works for any bike.

Read more here.

E

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:25 am

I'll definately consider them. Will look into them more thoroughly though.

Appreciate the info, much appreciated.

You've brought to my attention a brand of tyres I would have never considered before, so thank you !

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:28 pm

My 2015 Defy Advanced Pro came with 25mm standard.

I'm currently using 25mm Continental GP4000sII's and I've been pretty impressed with them. No issues and I'm onto my 2nd set. The last set I purchased from my LBS for $60ea.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:55 pm

jerrah wrote:My 2015 Defy Advanced Pro came with 25mm standard.

I'm currently using 25mm Continental GP4000sII's and I've been pretty impressed with them. No issues and I'm onto my 2nd set. The last set I purchased from my LBS for $60ea.
Hey Jerrah,

Have you had them for long? Punctures?

You find they roll better than the stock tyres?

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:46 pm

Defy The Odds wrote: Have you had them for long? Punctures?
You find they roll better than the stock tyres?
I just replaced the rear after around 4000km (6 months or so usage). I had one puncture early on but I when I removed the tyre I noticed I had quite a few punctures and cuts to the tyre but none of them resulted in a flat tyre. I actually replaced the rear because I had a slice in the sidewall and the tube was bulging through. I do commute every day and regularly encounter broken glass etc so I'm just glad I didn't get more flats!

I find they roll fine but I didn't have an issue with the rolling of the stock Giant PSLR?? tyres either. The original tyres were worn square in 1500km and I find the Continentals give me plenty of grip wet or dry.

softy

Postby softy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:03 pm

If you want real comfort and speed, go to a cotton tyre, I always run them for the comfort factor.

Veloflex make a 25mm cotton tyre, so does challenge, I haven't had to much luck puncture wise with vittoria but some love them.

Challenge make a real good double puncture layer cyclocross tyre bianca strada but it is 30mm. Don't know if this will fit your bike.

All these tyres are fast and comfy.

P.S. just for reference, continentals are a good resilient tyres that has good grip, but not one of the more comfy tyres around. A lot of people use them because they are tough, with really good puncture protection. Due to their manufacturing and teardrop shape don't have very supple sidewalls. If your running the newer wider clinchers, this helps make the tyre rounder like a tubular, improving the feel and comfort.
This is all fine, but they just don't ride like a cotton tyre.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:52 pm

Veloflex tyres are good but the 25mm is typically Italian and under sized. Mine measured 23mm. They roll very nicely but are easily damaged on rough surfaces due to the hand glued tread. I didn't experience many punctures when I ran them but only got about 4000km out of the rear before I had to replace them.

The nicest rolling and best handling tyre I have used are Challenge Parigi Roubaix. On my rims they measured 29mm even though they are suppose to be 27mm. Super fast and very vcomfortable. I ran 60 psi in the front and 80 in the rear. Like the Veloflex tyres though they use a hand glued tread and where susceptable to cuts and having the tread tear away on rough dirt roads.

From all accounts the Compass tyres really are the duck nuts. They are as supple as the Challenge and Veloflex's but with a thicker, vulcanised tread which should be a lot more durable without effecting rolling resistance and comfort.