Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Grgic

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Postby Grgic » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi all.

So I finally finished paying off my new Defy and picked it up today but following a serious accident a bit over a week ago (that killed my Scott) I'm waiting for some torn ligaments in my shoulder to heal before I can ride it on the road.

I have a couple of questions however.
  1. I have been trying to get my Garmin 510 to play nice with the Ride Sense. Using "Speed/Cadence" the speed sensor is recognised but the cadence sensor is not being picked up. Changing to "Speed and Cadence" and nothing gets detected. I've tried just setting it to "Cadence" and still nothing gets detected. Has anyone had issues like this and have any suggestions? After doing some googling I took the Ride Sense out and rubbed the cadence magnet against it as some said that's how they got it to work but it hasn't done the trick for me.
  2. Is there some intermediate piece of hardware I need to obtain for the Garmin to detect the Di2?
  3. When I picked up the bike I received no documentation (eg. users manual perhaps explaining how to charge Di2 etc), and only was given a battery charger and USB cable. Should there have been anything else (instructions or other pieces/spare parts) that should have come with the bike?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Grgic on Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duck!
Expert

Re: Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:23 pm

For the Garmin to pick up Di2 info, you will need a "D-Fly" unit that plugs into the Di2 system somewhere, typically just before the rear derailleur, so it can strap to the seat stay - unplug the cable from the RD & plug it into the D-Fly, then plug the hard-wired cable from the D-Fly into the RD.

There isn't really much more you need for the Di2; it doesn't go out of tune unless you crash & bend your hanger, or let your chain get too worn (which affects mechanical shifting too), although if you really feel like getting technical you can download the E-Tube software from the Shimano website. The charger/PC interface you've got won't give you full E-Tube functionality, but it will allow you to check for and perform firmware updates on the componentry (which isn't really necessary as long as all your components remain the same version, but if you ever need to replace a component, which might be a newer firmware version, it does help to make sure everything else is up to date too, just to ensure it keeps working at its best), and also allows you to customise the shift button functions, and adjust the speed & range of the multi-shifting function.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks for the info on the Garmin-Di2 interface Duck! Will look into it. Should I have received documentation explaining Di2 and how to use/charge/make adjustments to it?
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:41 pm

There should have been a bit of stuff with your bike owner's manual, but it's pretty vague. Did the shop explain how to gauge battery level? You don't need to charge the battery all that often, just when it gets low. In fact, frequent "top-up" charging can actually reduce its lifespan. All you need to do is plug the charger into a USB port on your computer, and the other end into the port on the side of the junction box strapped to the underside of the handlebar stem. It should only take an hour or so to charge from flat.

As far as shifter functions, the default setting is to replicate as closely as possible the mechanical shifters, but the difference, aside from lever travel, is that there are two paddles behind the brake lever, rather than the lever itself functioning as a shift paddle. The right side controls the rear derailleur, the left side controls the front. The forward paddle (right behind the brake lever) shifts up to a bigger sprocket/chainring, the rear paddle shifts to a smaller one. If you download the E-Tube software, it allows you to reprogram which buttons perform which functions. Alternativly you can just get it tuned when you take it back to the shop for servicing.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:57 pm

I'd ask the shop. I got a bunch only manuals including di2. If I can find mine. I'll send them to you. I didn't read them [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:47 pm

I'll have to do that. The staff in the store today didn't seem to be interested in doing anything bar the bare minimum...

Gassy

Postby Gassy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:00 am

I've had the same issues with mine...I have my magnet attached to the pedal spindle, but I had to use 2 magnets for a bit of extra thickness as using just the 1 it wouldn't detect the cadence.

Didn't know why the di2 wasn't detected by the Garmin, so thanks for that tip. Expensive little add on though for what it's worth!

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:50 am

Grgic wrote:I have been trying to get my Garmin 510 to play nice with the Ride Sense. Using "Speed/Cadence" the speed sensor is recognised but the cadence sensor is not being picked up. Changing to "Speed and Cadence" and nothing gets detected. I've tried just setting it to "Cadence" and still nothing gets detected. Has anyone had issues like this and have any suggestions?
I have a Defy Advanced Pro 1 so I can't help on your Di2 issue but possibly can with the cadence sensor.
On my bike the cadence magnet is sitting on top of a rubber pad which is about 8mm thick. The pad and magnet is cable-tied to the crank arm about 40mm up the arm from the pedal spindle, closer to the bottom bracket.
The pad raises the magnet placing it closer to the sensor.
Gassy wrote:I have my magnet attached to the pedal spindle,
The pedal spindle doesn't pass anywhere near the cadence sensor. The cadence sensor part of the Ridesense is buried deep inside the frame chainstay, out of sight, closer to the bottom bracket.
If two magnets work for you that is fine but the cadence sensor is located a long way away from where your magnets are tracking past it.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:58 am

That seems to be a common problem with the speed/cadence sensors embedded in the chainstay. They are not positioned to pick up a magnet attached to the pedal axle.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Tim wrote:
Grgic wrote:I have been trying to get my Garmin 510 to play nice with the Ride Sense. Using "Speed/Cadence" the speed sensor is recognised but the cadence sensor is not being picked up. Changing to "Speed and Cadence" and nothing gets detected. I've tried just setting it to "Cadence" and still nothing gets detected. Has anyone had issues like this and have any suggestions?
I have a Defy Advanced Pro 1 so I can't help on your Di2 issue but possibly can with the cadence sensor.
On my bike the cadence magnet is sitting on top of a rubber pad which is about 8mm thick. The pad and magnet is cable-tied to the crank arm about 40mm up the arm from the pedal spindle, closer to the bottom bracket.
The pad raises the magnet placing it closer to the sensor.
Yep, that did the trick for the cadence sensor thanks.

Bike is running beautifully. Rides so very quiet. Have it nicely set up with a K-Edge Combo mount for my 510 and Virb. So much free space on the handlebars I don't know where to put my hands!

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Anyone know if I can run a 11-32 on the back with the derailleur that comes standard on the bike?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:56 pm

Yes.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:19 am

Thanks Duck!

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:14 pm

Duck! wrote:Yes.
I've heard against this as the compact front.

50-32 causes issues so as long as you avoid that cross chain then it should be ok.

I looked into it but was advised to get the gs

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:21 pm

The Pro 0 has the short cage. I thought the GS medium cage was required for a 11-32 cassette ?

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:54 pm

Drizt wrote:
The Pro 0 has the short cage. I thought the GS medium cage was required for a 11-32 cassette ?
This is my thoughts although I read that having the compact 50-34 and putting an 11-32 cassette even with the gs cage was flawed.

Hopefully I'm wrong as that is what I am waiting to go to when my rear cage needs replacing.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:56 pm

Flawed in what way?

I'm running 50/34 11-32 on my lynskey and 52/36 11-28 on my propel.

I get a little more chain play on the lynskey but haven't had and issues.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:56 pm

Drizt wrote:
Long cage is strongly advised, but not absolutely essential. I have fitted 32T cassettes with a standard derailleur several times.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:06 am

Quick question as I cannot be bothered counting, but I need to get a new chain and cassette. How many chain links do I require (for a 11-28 and 11-32 respectively)?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Just buy a standard length chain (they're generally 116 links) and cut it to fit.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks again Duck!

GTPilot

Postby GTPilot » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:48 am

FWIW.
I've been running a 32-11 cassette with 52-36 cranks with as cage on my TCR.
All you really need to do is crank the b screw in on the detailed to ensure the 32 sprocket is not hitting the jockey wheel.

Just a note on chain length, DON'T SKIMP ON IT.
Make sure it is right and long enough to run your largest gears (52-32 in my case) if you do mess up and end up shifting to this combination Di2 knows no resistance and you will mash your derailer quicker than you can think.
New RD-6870 $200-250
New derailer hanger $30-40
Just hope it does not damage you frame or wheel in the process for the joys of additional expense.

Spend $60 on the longer chain from the get go when you buy the cassette.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:31 am

GTPilot wrote:FWIW.
I've been running a 32-11 cassette with 52-36 cranks with as cage on my TCR.
All you really need to do is crank the b screw in on the detailed to ensure the 32 sprocket is not hitting the jockey wheel.

Just a note on chain length, DON'T SKIMP ON IT.
Make sure it is right and long enough to run your largest gears (52-32 in my case) if you do mess up and end up shifting to this combination Di2 knows no resistance and you will mash your derailer quicker than you can think.
New RD-6870 $200-250
New derailer hanger $30-40
Just hope it does not damage you frame or wheel in the process for the joys of additional expense.

Spend $60 on the longer chain from the get go when you buy the cassette.
A little tip that Duck! gave me on chain length. Size it based on the small/small combination instead of large/large. That way, your chain is the correct length for the capacity of your rear derailleur, regardless of what cassette you throw on it. This is very handy if you have multiple wheelsets with different cassettes, or you are like me and have a climbing cassette and a racing cassette that I swap between.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

GTPilot

Postby GTPilot » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:32 am

queequeg wrote:
A little tip that Duck! gave me on chain length. Size it based on the small/small combination instead of large/large. That way, your chain is the correct length for the capacity of your rear derailleur, regardless of what cassette you throw on it. This is very handy if you have multiple wheelsets with different cassettes, or you are like me and have a climbing cassette and a racing cassette that I swap between.
If you have the chain running through your derailer when sizing it yes, could not agree more, so long as you only apply enough tension for the chain not to rub on the cage as it passes back under, this - especially when running a short (SS) cage and larger cogs and chain rings. Otherwise no.
I've always used the method of no derailer big ring to big cog - plus one inch(one full link set) Always seems to work for me.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:39 am

GTPilot wrote:
If you have the chain running through your derailer when sizing it yes, could not agree more, so long as you only apply enough tension for the chain not to rub on the cage as it passes back under, this - especially when running a short (SS) cage. Otherwise no.
I've always used the method of no derailer big ring to big cog - plus one inch(one full link set) Always seems to work for me.
Yep, I should have added that. Route it through the derailleur and join the chain with just enough tension as described. do it with the smallest sprocket you are likely to use, such as 11T. On my bike I have cassettes with a big cog ranging from 23t up to 32T. I used to size using the big/big Shimano method, which can then cause issues if your "big" at the time was a 23T and now you want to run a 28T or more.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi