Is there a Giant that can do this job?

Meditator

Is there a Giant that can do this job?

Postby Meditator » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:54 pm

Im heading off on the BNT next year after doing Cape York. For anyone who doesn't know, this is a horse trail that runs the length of the east coast of oz from cooktown south, has steep sections, rough sections and does not follow public roads for most of the way but follows private property roads and trails.

My current bike is a giant touring bike that did not cost me so much money. Less than $1000 in France a few years back with all the bits attached. I've only done two x two months tours on it. - France and Japan.

Money is always short in my neck of the woods but i'm thinking about whether and when i will have to buy a new bike for this trip and which one. I've always thought that Giant were the best value but I really don't know if that's the case in this situation.

I"ve always owned Giants and wonder if any of them are strong enough for the job - i'm hoping to hike the section of the Alpine trail rather than bike it which i think may be the hardest part of it all. I'll send my bike around by courier or some other way hopefully. Unless it costs too much.

I know i probably need an expedition bike ideally. Especially given that i want to go away more often from now on, though not necessarily for really long trips after this one. This trip will be year long as i will come up the central australian way and Mawson Trail and back to cairns via plenty highwway. Then over to Kenya for six weeks. Which is also dirt and often rough roads i understand.

Also i will have to carry a lot of stuff, lots of food and all the usual camping gear. So need front racks for the first time ever.

I don't like the idea of having to get a heavy bike but it needs to be strong enough to go the distance. I'm only 165cm tall, female and 52 years old and although i have very strong legs when i'm fit, I usually am somewhat unfit when i leave home. This time i will try harder. At least i am not overweight this time. But i often feel i'm the slowest rider on the planet.

What bike would you suggest if there isn't a giant fit for purpose?

Another thought I had was to upgrade the componets on my current bike and ride it till breaks even though i had it painted by some aborigine ladies in Alice Springs last time I was there and its now one of the more attractive bikes in the country.

Thanks all.

koshari

Re: Is there a Giant that can do this job?

Postby koshari » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:43 am

firstly what does the exisring bike weigh in at?
just how grarly are the tracks you want to hit, look at some cyclocross video and as you will see decent 700c (29ers) wheels will handle all but the most brutal downhill and jumping sections. you will just need to look into some suitable tires in 28 or 32 size as a good trade off to avoid pinch flats.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:57 am

Expedition bike = late '90s steel framed mountain bike with long rear stays... with a 34T cassette.... The only drama is usually a lack of front eyelets. I'm fitting some to the forks of my $70 Shogun Trailbreaker 4. Might make it jump up to $200 total cost...omagerd. Mind you I already had wheels I'd built with a dynamo hub.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:14 am

Hehe - what you need is the bike that was designed specifically for the job, and lightweight too. A Muru BNT. :D

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...