Component substitution on purchase?

tgdavies

Component substitution on purchase?

Postby tgdavies » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:40 pm

I'm curious whether bicycle retailers have any latitude to change components when you buy a bike, or whether any change would involve the purchaser buying the replacement parts and chucking the originals?

In particular I'm interested in the Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 to use as a commuter, but I would want to change the tyres to something slicker, and would want to have an alloy seat post instead of a carbon one, because I'm going to be clamping a trail-a-bike to it. I suppose the cost of those changes are really just a rounding error on a $1,700 bike, but it's the principle of the thing...

Hillsaretheenemy

Re: Component substitution on purchase?

Postby Hillsaretheenemy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:27 pm

If you find the right dealer you should be able to do a deal including the pieces you want. If they're not keen, you're probably just bashing your head against the wall... Otherwise just go for the lowball offer and buy the bits you want later online.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:09 am

Entirely shop's discretion, but for things like tyres it's reasonably common practice to just do a swap; fit the tyres you want & they'll keep the ones that came off & sell them later, although if there's a considerable difference in the value of the components there may be some corrective price adjustment.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:16 am

Duck! wrote:Entirely shop's discretion, but for things like tyres it's reasonably common practice to just do a swap; fit the tyres you want & they'll keep the ones that came off & sell them later, although if there's a considerable difference in the value of the components there may be some corrective price adjustment.
This
I paid less than $50 to get the Tektro brakes subbed for 105 when I got the 'Dale
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:01 am

An LBS will generally do a substitution for better (more expensive) components quite happily, as they generally do a pre sale build/check of the bike anyway.

I bought my CAADX 105 with upgraded brakes on that basis. Cost me an extra $100 I think.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"