Car Bike Racks for a Giant

flightstrike

Car Bike Racks for a Giant

Postby flightstrike » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:28 pm

G'Day all,

First post here! I just bought myself a 2016 Giant Cross City 1 DISC. The idea being I'll get into riding and do less running.

One thing I noticed straight off the bat is the different shape of the upper frame. Unlike most bikes, it's made of a flat tube rather than circular. Does this make transport on a car bike rack difficult? I'm yet to actually try, but the car racks I've seen seem to be setup for only tubes. Reluctant to buy one to then find it doesn't secure properly. Throwing two bikes in the back of the Ute is just going to cause absolute misery!

Lots to learn but I'm looking forward to the challenge of riding.

Cheers!

V17L

Re: Car Bike Racks for a Giant

Postby V17L » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:13 am

hi flightstrike
I have a Defy 1 with a flat top tube and have carried it on my thule bike carrier. To be honest, have noticed much diferent.
Maybe as the thule has rubber seats and the bike kinda sits as best in the rubber seat, and the fastening rubber keeps it place. Seems to work for me.
Suggest you might like to take your bike to where you are going to buy the rack and try fitting it to see if you are happy. You should get a good feel on how well it will sit without driving anywere. Quite often they have the racks set up in the shop. Try that as you just need confirmation on how well it sits on that rack.
cheers
stevet
Giant Defy 1

bigfut

Re: Car Bike Racks for a Giant

Postby bigfut » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:12 pm

I have a new cross city as well. I run a bike rack with a rubber v groove to hold the top tube.
It works well despite not fitting properly. The flat bar sits ontop of the v groove rubber rather than in it.
When the straps wrap around the frame, it is still held securely, with no issues to date.

My rack is the stanfred twist 4 bike.