2013 Propel advice

Morose
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:08 pm

2013 Propel advice

Postby Morose » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:09 pm

So I am considering buying a Propel SL0 but cannot afford a new one. One that I have been looking at is a 2013 model. I'm wondering however if this is too old and will start to deteriorate on me. Replacing the gear set etc is something I would expect in the next year or so but i'm more worried about other parts like the frame. The other option I have for the same money is a new 2017 TCR Advanced.

I understand that they are two different types of bikes.

I just want something quicker than my current 2016 TCX (commute to work and rides atm). I just do group rides with some hills between 30 and 80km (3-5 times a week).

My other worry is that I'm too heavy for a propel at 108kg. My other thought is that I should be riding something with 25mm tyres due to my weight and the roads around here are not great. I want something that will keep me with the faster groups basically.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts which are greatly appreciated.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8299
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2013 Propel advice

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Morose wrote: .... I want something that will keep me with the faster groups basically.

....


I'll pick up the specific comment here (as I can't comment on the Giants specifically) except to say that the frames are pretty good, and if looked after will last many years.

Anyway, a different bike will not make a huge difference in whether you can keep up with faster groups. More fitness/less weight will make a bigger difference.

I presume you have slick tyres on the TCX ?

Is the issue with the TCX that you run out of gears ? (i.e. can pedal fast enough along flats/downhill).

Without knowing any more details, just ride more and save the money. Ste a specific goal such as riding a certain distance, acheiving a certain weight (if that is your goal) and then get the new bike.

imho, that'll make more difference.

Morose
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Re: 2013 Propel advice

Postby Morose » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:17 pm

Yes i put slicks on the TCX. My problem is certainly with top speeds. It only has a 46 top ring on the front so when the speeds are hitting 40+ im dropping off.

Im certainly aware of the fact i still need to pick up my fitness and drop more weight. Im down 8 and plan to drop at least 10 more.

User avatar
Duck!
Expert
Posts: 6353
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: 2013 Propel advice

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Morose wrote:So I am considering buying a Propel SL0 but cannot afford a new one. One that I have been looking at is a 2013 model. I'm wondering however if this is too old and will start to deteriorate on me. Replacing the gear set etc is something I would expect in the next year or so but i'm more worried about other parts like the frame. The other option I have for the same money is a new 2017 TCR Advanced.

I understand that they are two different types of bikes.

Carbon frames don't deteriorate unless they've been subjected to major stress from crashing or crush damage.

The TCR and Propel are not that different; they're both race geometry bikes (in fact with the exception of the horizontal top tube and correspondingly taller measured seat tube on the Propel, they're identical geometry), but the Propel is engineered for optimized aero
and power transfer. The TCR is a better all-round bike with better compliance.

My other worry is that I'm too heavy for a propel at 108kg. My other thought is that I should be riding something with 25mm tyres due to my weight and the roads around here are not great. I want something that will keep me with the faster groups basically.

Weight isn't an issue, beyond that you'll wear out drive & braking components sooner than a lighter rider, but that will apply equally on any bike. If the Propel has its original brakes, they won't fit 25mm tyres. The frame & fork are fine, the brakes are the limiting factor. Later brakes have revised arm geometry to improve clearance; these may or may not have been fitted to an older bike.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5867
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2013 Propel advice

Postby biker jk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Morose wrote:Yes i put slicks on the TCX. My problem is certainly with top speeds. It only has a 46 top ring on the front so when the speeds are hitting 40+ im dropping off.

Im certainly aware of the fact i still need to pick up my fitness and drop more weight. Im down 8 and plan to drop at least 10 more.


46-12 (AT) 90rpm gives 43kmh, while 46-11 @90 rpm is 47kmh. So as you suggest, gearing is only a minor issue with respect to not keeping up.

g-boaf
Posts: 8824
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2013 Propel advice

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Morose wrote:So I am considering buying a Propel SL0 but cannot afford a new one. One that I have been looking at is a 2013 model. I'm wondering however if this is too old and will start to deteriorate on me. Replacing the gear set etc is something I would expect in the next year or so but i'm more worried about other parts like the frame. The other option I have for the same money is a new 2017 TCR Advanced.

I understand that they are two different types of bikes.

I just want something quicker than my current 2016 TCX (commute to work and rides atm). I just do group rides with some hills between 30 and 80km (3-5 times a week).

My other worry is that I'm too heavy for a propel at 108kg. My other thought is that I should be riding something with 25mm tyres due to my weight and the roads around here are not great. I want something that will keep me with the faster groups basically.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts which are greatly appreciated.


Propel SL0 should be a fine bike - they are race machines and built quite tough. I would also expect you'd be replacing the cassette/chain and maybe the chainrings, depending on how they are.

I've got a 2013 TCR Advanced SL3 that I've rebuilt as something more exotic/extreme than an SL1 and it runs fine.

With regards to speed, the main limiting factor is fitness as others have mentioned. That's just more riding, consistently. That's how you get that. Top speed is also a bit down to your position on the bike too, if you are very upright, then you are acting as an air-brake, so you have to work harder to do the same speed.

Propel would be good for the group rides. I know someone with a Propel who often does 300+km rides on that bike.

macca33
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: 2013 Propel advice

Postby macca33 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:21 pm

The Propel is a nice rig and they are certainly slippery-quick! I have done quick(ish) bunchies on a CX bike (mine has 50/34 chainrings though, which do help top-end) and you do work harder, so I see your point for wanting a road bike - in saying that, there is never any need for an excuse to buy a new rig!!!

Your weight shouldn't be an issue and good on you for your achievements thus far.

If this new rig helps you along and gives you more satisfaction, then go for it.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

Image

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8299
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2013 Propel advice

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:43 pm

So if you have the power to max out your gearing, it's either a cassette chnage, or a slightly bigger outer ring. Both easily acheivable, and solves the issue presented.

If however, it's and excuse (sorry reason) to buy another bike, they buy away, but the TCX is not uncapable for doing fast rides.

usernameforme
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: 2013 Propel advice

Postby usernameforme » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Duck! wrote:they're identical geometry

Just thought I should clarify this: the stack and reach of the latest TCR (2016 onwards) and the Propel are *slightly* (but noticeably) different in all sizes except 'L'. The TCR is slightly longer/lower in the smaller sizes (but the propel is offered in an XS). It's a moot point but depending on how picky you are about your fit one might not work.

In terms of frame 'age' the Propel has only received minor tweaks (namely brakes) and still performs very well in the wind tunnel (according to tour tests) so it's still a fast bike. The TCR does have a newer design, but it's a different bike. So if you want an aero bike the Propel is still competitive, but if you want a lighter/stiffer bike the (same model) TCR would be a better bet.

If you're comparing a Propel Advanced SL0 and a TCR Advanced, the Propel Advanced SL0 will have a lighter fork and better quality carbon, so for me that's a no brainer. If you're thinking of getting into racing a 'road' set up will be much more friendly than a cross set up, but in terms of keeping up with faster groups, provided you've got good tyres and the appropriate gearing, the engine makes more of a difference than an aero/road bike (that said buying new bikes is fun though).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users