Which TCR?

Morose

Which TCR?

Postby Morose » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:05 pm

So after much umming and arring I have decided that a TCR is the right bike for me to buy. Typically I ride 3-5 times a week for a total of 150-250km at average speeds of 30-35km/hr. This is mainly group rides around town and highway on some not so great roads. I decided on the TCR for its comfort over the propel mainly and for being the all round model compared to the Defy. I'm not interested in racing either.

So I've been looking at the specs and all but I guess my only real question is if the advanced SL1 is 3x the bike of the Advanced 2 given the costs. I have also had a look at the Advanced Pro 1.

So basically I guess I'm asking for people that have had the entry level advanced and then upgraded to the pro or sl, do you think it was worth the extra $$$?

Also to throw a spanner into the works should I buy second hand instead? I'm only interested in one that has the new model frame though but not sure what year this came out.

Any help appreciated.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tcr-advanced-sl-1
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tcr-advanced-pro-1
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tcr-advanced-2

mmel

Re: Which TCR?

Postby mmel » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:52 pm

[Is] the advanced SL1 is 3x the bike of the Advanced 2 given the costs
Definitely not. Get the Advanced 2.

By all means, if you want electronic shifting, and can financially justify it to yourself, go for it.
But if you want the most value for money, get the Advanced 2 and enjoy it.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:53 pm

I think it comes down to how much you want to spend. Is the SL range better than the Advanced range - absolutely. Does it make sense to pay more - depends if you see value in it. What are you currently riding?

Personally I ride the 2016 TCR Advanced SL1 and love it (upgraded from a 2013 Defy Advanced 0 earlier this year).

You could look at getting a 2016 model bike and save 10-25% of RRP? The specs are exactly the same just different paint jobs and there are still plenty floating around.

Morose

Postby Morose » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:06 pm

Thanks guys. I'm currently riding a 2016 TCX Pro 1. I've never had electronic gears and must admit I am interested. The 2016 TCR Sl1 is
$500 more expensive than the 2017 on the page i found.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Morose wrote:Thanks guys. I'm currently riding a 2016 TCX Pro 1. I've never had electronic gears and must admit I am interested. The 2016 TCR Sl1 is
$500 more expensive than the 2017 on the page i found.
I know of a few shops in Brisbane that have them on sale for $5000 at the moment. That is what I would expect to pay given they are now "old stock".

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:25 pm

The Advanced and Advanced Pro use the same frame, but the fork on the Pro is better, full carbon where the Advanced is carbon legs on an aluminium steerer & crown. The SL is a considerably better frame in every respect; higher grade carbon, so lighter, stiffer, stronger, more efficient, plus some more complicated manufacturing methods over the "basic" Advanced frames which contribute to a more unified structure with fewer post-cure "hard" joints.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:13 pm

After owning a TCR Advanced 2 for 3 years and now replaced it with a Defy Advanced SL1, I can say to me, the 2 bikes feels very very similar especially in regards to comfort. I have the 2 bikes set up almost identical in stack height and seatpost. This caught me as a surprise as I was expecting more comfort/ compliance with the integrated seatpost.
On Strava times, things are a lot different. With a lighter bike (keeping all accessories the same), my speed has improved about 10% on the same path I take 5 days a week.
The bike just feels faster. Almost every segment has a new PR.
If it was me, I would never have bought the SL1 if it wasn't previous year model's discount.
With a discount or if you are buying 2nd hand, that'll be the way to go.

samuel86

Postby samuel86 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:50 pm

jack11 wrote:You could look at getting a 2016 model bike and save 10-25% of RRP? The specs are exactly the same just different paint jobs and there are still plenty floating around.
Definitely look around for a 2016 bike. I just picked up a MY16 TCR Advanced Pro 0 for $4,200, not bad for a $6,000 bike.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:54 am

is it possible to purchase new Giant framesets alone?
(instead of the whole bike)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:12 am

caneye wrote:is it possible to purchase new Giant framesets alone?
It is not easily possible I don't think, and the last time I enquired about it - I was warned that the cost is high. If you want to customise, you might be better going to a bike fitter like Pavetheway and getting them to build you up something from scratch.
mmel wrote:Definitely not. Get the Advanced 2.

By all means, if you want electronic shifting, and can financially justify it to yourself, go for it.
I'm going to disagree. I own two Advanced SL bikes (2013 SL3, 2014 SL1), both built up to be as near as identical to each other as they can be - they are superb. The SL3 did have Ultegra Di2 - but that got shifted over to a TT bike and in its place went mechanical Dura Ace 9000. Both of them are excellent bikes to ride. The SL3 is 6.6kg, the SL1 is 6.9kg (different wheels). Some people are out there on considerably newer bikes, but I don't feel that these two are in any way behind the times.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:27 pm

caneye wrote:is it possible to purchase new Giant framesets alone?
It should definitely be. I know at one point earlier this year some Giant dealers could not order enough Advanced SL bikes (complete builds) from Giant Australia, so purchased framesets alone and built them up with whatever components they had available. I imagine there would still be some available, best bet would be to talk to your local dealers.