Giant Warranty

samuel86

Giant Warranty

Postby samuel86 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:37 pm

My 08 TCR C1 went in for a service and a small crack was found between the bottom bracket and the rear stay. My LBS has requested a copy of the purchase receipt to prove I was the original owner. I can’t find he giant blue book or the receipt from over 9 years ago. Has anyone had any luck with giant on this?

It is only my training bike and has been a trusty sled for all this time. I recently upgraded to a 16 TCR for racing.

Highly doubt anything will come of it. Guess I will end up parting the bike out.

biker jk

Re: Giant Warranty

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:51 pm

If you paid by credit card perhaps you can ask your bank for the transaction record?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Can you contact the shop you bought it from? They may have a record of the sale and be able to send you a duplicate receipt.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:14 pm

Bypass the LBS and go directly to Giant. I know of people who have had Giant replace their frames without any proof of ownership.
These companies don't want cracked frames circulating around the second hand market. They like to get them out of circulation for their reputation sake. A new frame is peanuts to them. Having a reputation for frames that fail is something they will avoid at all costs. Play it up. Ask for a replacement.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:06 am

To play the opposite angle, there's a fair probability it's only a surface mark. From memory that model is predominantly painted white, with a bit of green & clearcoat over raw carbon. White (and other pale coloured) paint is more brittle & prone to cracking than darker colours due to the pigments & fillers used to get the colour density, so is more prone to cracking even with a solid substrate. Secondly, that area behind the bottom bracket is very thickly laid because there's a sleeved joint where the chainstays are bonded into short stub tubes off the BB; the end of the overlap may create a hard point from where the stays flex enough to fracture the paint without underlying structural damage.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Duck! wrote:To play the opposite angle, there's a fair probability it's only a surface mark. From memory that model is predominantly painted white, with a bit of green & clearcoat over raw carbon. White (and other pale coloured) paint is more brittle & prone to cracking than darker colours due to the pigments & fillers used to get the colour density, so is more prone to cracking even with a solid substrate. Secondly, that area behind the bottom bracket is very thickly laid because there's a sleeved joint where the chainstays are bonded into short stub tubes off the BB; the end of the overlap may create a hard point from where the stays flex enough to fracture the paint without underlying structural damage.
So what should he do? Ride it and risk failure or get a it x-rayed?

Everyone keeps telling me carbon frames last a lifetime? I get so confused... :?

samuel86

Postby samuel86 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Duck! wrote:To play the opposite angle, there's a fair probability it's only a surface mark. From memory that model is predominantly painted white, with a bit of green & clearcoat over raw carbon. White (and other pale coloured) paint is more brittle & prone to cracking than darker colours due to the pigments & fillers used to get the colour density, so is more prone to cracking even with a solid substrate. Secondly, that area behind the bottom bracket is very thickly laid because there's a sleeved joint where the chainstays are bonded into short stub tubes off the BB; the end of the overlap may create a hard point from where the stays flex enough to fracture the paint without underlying structural damage.
I am yet to actually see the bike and the crack since it was dropped off to my Giant LBS for the service. It was the mechanic that noticed the crack. I was contacted by the LBS about it.

Yes, you are correct, the bike is predominantly painted white, with a bit of green & clearcoat over raw carbon.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Comedian wrote:Everyone keeps telling me carbon frames last a lifetime? I get so confused... :?
Carbon frames last a lifetime. :P :wink:

You know this, but for others:

Most bike manufacturers with "lifetime warranties" are suspect at best. Car manufacturers actually back their products with a transferable warranty for a specified time. Bike manufacturers hope you move on before the frame does. It's a tired old repetitive story, but image if everyone dutifully kept their bikes for 20 years. The manufacturers with "lifetime warranties" would either suffer or change the meaning of "lifetime" as Cannondale did to the life time of the bike. Whatever that means.
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=58044

I'll add here than even materials that have a "fatigue limit" like steel or Ti often still get over-stressed and/or are under-engineered due to weight considerations in a bike frame and eventually crack.

QBP/Surly have a 3 year warranty. Mine cracked after 4 years. I may never buy another Surly because of it, but IMO their warranty seems more honest than the lifetime of the original owner. Planet-X also do a defined 2 years for most frames, but once again for the original owner. 10 years on Ti frames. To me it clearly points to all modern frames being disposable items, so I won't spend too much on them.
http://surlybikes.com//uploads/download ... rranty.pdf
https://www.planetx.co.uk/help/warranty

samuel86

Postby samuel86 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:14 am

Update. Giant Australia have proved why they are among the best in the industry and backed their lifetime warranty. The warranty has been approved without the original receipt. A suitable replacement frame is being sourced by Giant.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:32 am

samuel86 wrote:Update. Giant Australia have proved why they are among the best in the industry and backed their lifetime warranty. The warranty has been approved without the original receipt. A suitable replacement frame is being sourced by Giant.
Do make sure they give you the correct size frame (I've heard of wrong sized being given). It tends to be a what they have around type of basis.

What's more. I've heard of people having multiple replacements from Giant and Merida. Ie the first frame cracks, and then the replacement frame cracks, and they replace the second frame.

Don't loose that receipt and maybe write yourself some notes on the happenings and you should be right for another frame in a few years. :mrgreen:

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:30 pm

You'll have to inform us with what they replace it with.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the latest TCR, although they may have some older TCRs (albeit it well post 08 I'd assume).