Last question for the propel owners (really).

bianchi928

Last question for the propel owners (really).

Postby bianchi928 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:56 am

Hi,

Thank you everyone who have offered responses to my many queries on here regarding Propels.

I have decided the Propel is the way to go and I am quite keen on the 2017 Advanced Pro 1.

The paint job is matt which I'm not too keen on as I think it is harder to keep clean, but I love the colour.

Is there anyone with this model who can provide feedback on this or any tips to keep it clean.

Thanks again.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Bourney

Re: Last question for the propel owners (really).

Postby Bourney » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:18 pm

I have the 2016 matte black, and it's a breeze to keep clean.

I just do my normal routine if it gets dirty, which is dishwashing liquid, sud it up, hose off, wipe dry. Then the usual drive train lube.

Imageimage by Dave Bourne, on Flickr

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. Very much appreciated.

I have picked up a second hand 2015 Propel Advanced Pro 1.

Just waiting on some bits and pieces (cassette, bar tape) and she will be good to go.

Cheers

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:29 pm

bianchi928 wrote:Hi,

Thank you everyone who have offered responses to my many queries on here regarding Propels.

I have decided the Propel is the way to go and I am quite keen on the 2017 Advanced Pro 1.

The paint job is matt which I'm not too keen on as I think it is harder to keep clean, but I love the colour.

Is there anyone with this model who can provide feedback on this or any tips to keep it clean.

Thanks again.
I've got a matt Giant (Defy) and it's actually easier to keep clean than my gloss finished Specialized. The dirt tends to just brush off the matt carbon really easily.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:01 pm

bianchi928 wrote:Thanks everyone for your input. Very much appreciated.

Just waiting on some bits and pieces (cassette, bar tape) and she will be good to go.

Cheers

How is your Propel going?

I'm torn between a TCR and a Propel, which I hadn't considered until the LBS said they're great fun. I'm a skinny lightweight so to me, weight will make a big difference going up hills!

I'm more of a group rider and solo hill crawler than a long distance rider so I'm still leaning towards the TCR....
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

RichB

Postby RichB » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Yeah I've been looking at the TCRs, but Propel could hit the mark better, although likely going to be a bit heavy on the cheapest model, and proprietary aero bar/stem also in OD2 will be a PITA.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:36 pm

The TCR will be a better all-rounder. At all model levels it's a lighter frame than the equivalent Propel, will have a smoother ride thanks to different tube profiles and layup, and will offer better adjustability thanks to normal round-section handlebars and correspondingly greater range of stems, although OD2 oversized steerer on Advanced Pro and SL models will still limit things a bit. That's not to say the Propel is a bad bike, it isn't by any stretch, but it is a very focused machine in its purpose and may be compromised when other considerations come into play.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:42 am

Mububban wrote:
bianchi928 wrote:Thanks everyone for your input. Very much appreciated.

Cheers

How is your Propel going?

I'm torn between a TCR and a Propel, which I hadn't considered until the LBS said they're great fun. I'm a skinny lightweight so to me, weight will make a big difference going up hills!

I'm more of a group rider and solo hill crawler than a long distance rider so I'm still leaning towards the TCR....
Hi Mubabban,

I bought my Propel because I like doing TT's and I thought I would never buy a TT rig.

Sure enough, I ended up buying a Cervelo P2.

I still ride my Propel and it's a great bike but I am considering eventually switching to a TCR for (I think the Advanced pro 1 is exceptional value) an all around bike, especially for climbing.

Cheers

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:17 pm

bianchi928 wrote: I still ride my Propel and it's a great bike but I am considering eventually switching to a TCR for (I think the Advanced pro 1 is exceptional value) an all around bike, especially for climbing.

Cheers
The Advanced pro 1 is the exact model I'm looking at, I was quoted $3600 for the 2018 which has the carbon wheels, full mech Ultegra (with an 11-30 cassette this year which'll help me) and should be under 7.5kg for the large I'll need. I want it for an all rounder but mainly so I can flog myself up the hills.
I'm leaning towards a light bike as I'm so skinny, I can't lose weight off myself like people usually tell you to do!

How does the Propel go at climbing? Does the power delivery compensate for the slight extra weight?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:56 pm

How does the Propel go at climbing? Does the power delivery compensate for the slight extra weight?

I reckon it climbs ok (I am no lightweight however) but I do think my previous TCR (2012) climbed better. The latest Advanced Pro 1 TCR seems to be even better, which is leading me toward that.

The TT club has a summer series in Kings Park which is basically a hot dog loop with a climb up one side and also TT's in the Hills. Both are on pretty rough roads which are other reasons I am looking at the TCR.

I feel the Propel is a lot "zippier" than my Domane (makes sense given the more endurance geometry) and I enjoy riding the Propel more.

That said, I need to sell my Domane first and if it takes a while, I have no dramas keeping with my Propel until then.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:09 am

Mub,

I have a 2015 Propel Advanced 1, with mechanical Ultegra 6800.

Like many of you, I was actually after a TCR, thinking I’d had my “aero” bike phase (with my previous 08 Cervelo Soloist, which had carbon tubs, Dura Ace, Etc however I found to flex too much in the turns particularly descending) and wanted a purer all round road/climbing bike.

I’ve had a ‘14 aluminium Defy, which I found to be too lazy in the turns, lots of high end steel bikes from the 80’s/90’s, cannondale CAAD’s, carbon 90’s Kestrels, and ridden a lot of high end euro carbon stuff recently borrowing from friends. My budget didn’t extend to a pinarello or such, and I rated the humble TCR very highly.

However I missed out on a couple of newer TCR’s and my wife found my Propel on a market place listing on Facebook at a good price.

However I endlessly worried about the aluminium fork steerer (different bearing sizes to the full carbon models, integrated brakes - essentially no upgrade path) the extra weight, and what the brakes would be like (again no upgrade path) and how it would feel in the hills being an “aero” bike.

Then I rode it, and got a quick schooling on just how good modern carbon fibre bikes are - even at this price point/mid level.

The extra weight just didn’t seem to matter so much, the 11 speed Ultegra was infinitely more intuitive to cadence/pacing up climbs than my old 10 speed Dura Ace, and the stiffness of the back end and head tube was a revelation compared to my older bikes.

I got it at crazy price needing a thorough tidy up, and new tyres. The front wheel was out of true also and it was filthy.

So I bought it, still with some trepidation, feeling if it all went to pot I could keep the Ultegra and reframe it.

I spent the weekend stripping, cleaning, re-assembling, cut the fork steerer, trimmed the cables and set it up properly with a couple of upgrades (FSA SL-K carbon cockpit and my Fizik saddle I kept from my Cervelo).

I ordered some training wheels and my preferred Veloflex Master tyres.

And the first day I rode it to work I set multiple PB’s and took a KOM on a long climb that’s part of my regular commute.

I now have it set up to my liking and have more of a sense of the character of the bike.

I think it’s a lot more versatile than we initially suspect looking at the frame tubes and so on.

It’s not a TT bike. It’s a road bike and it does feel like one, the brakes are not that dissimilar to a decent pair of calliper brakes, I find the modulation excellent.

And it can climb.. rather well.

Try it and if you like it go for it. My wife has a Liv Envie now too..

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:15 pm

lunar_c wrote:Mub,

I have a 2015 Propel Advanced 1, with mechanical Ultegra 6800.

Try it and if you like it go for it. My wife has a Liv Envie now too..

Thanks for the info, I've decided not to buy until after Christmas (big family holiday coming up) and I'm still waiting to test the new Propel, Specialized Tarmac and TCR disc.

Any bike I buy will be amazing and better than what I'm currently on, and I'm looking forward to test riding as many realistic contenders as I can before I pull the trigger.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Being the “cycling guy” in my family and group of friends, I get asked the “what bike” question a lot, so I feel comfortable giving some input.

It’s great that you have the patience and self control to wait until the Christmas sales! :D

I would not.. the money would be burning a hole through my wallet, into my pocket, through my leg and onto the floor..

Take that time to think about the aspects of your cycling that you enjoy the most, and how the different qualities in a bicycle might complement those experiences best, and choose accordingly.

Best of luck!