Poll - Ranks, do we need them?

Should we get rid of the ranks (blue stars)

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 51
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Poll - Ranks, do we need them?

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:07 am

In this thread, I annouced that the ranking system was updated - what I thought was a more simple solution however a good comment from a member (gdl_gdl) was whether we need it at all. We don't need need it - should it be removed?

Also - please comment whether you feel that mods should have something graphical (aside from stars) that highlights them as mods. Also not required however would be an identifying factor.
Cycling is in my BNA

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:05 am

You can keep your three stars Christopher :wink:
The mods already have the "super mod" and "moderater" that get written under their names...do they need more?.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:31 am

I can't see any good reason to have the stars - if all they do is denote a level of posts achieved, they are replicating the post count and are thus redundant. Additionally, without a legend on the site somewhere to explain what they are, new members will always be asking why they are there and what how they get more ...

Besides, we don't need to encourage post whores, do we? ;)

Mod should keep the symbols they have - it helps them assert authority when needed.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:44 am

oooh fifty fifty, interesting debate... 8)
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:44 am

I voted Yes.

I don't see the need to differentiate between members with more or less than 500 posts.

That said I do like the idea of a recognising a member that works as a professional in the trade.

Matt

X-wing

Postby X-wing » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 am

I voted no, mostly because I don't see what value it adds. We know who the pros are on the forum, and I think we also know who to rely on for excellent information.

I also agree that the stars appear to be duplicating the post counts.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:19 am

It's hard to give a yes or no answer. It really depends on what the site owner and community want to achieve, and the objectives may not always align. But personally, I am leaning in the 'no' camp.

The problem with assigning "expert", "senior member" and similar titles is that it creates a hierarchy where noobs and "junior" may become reluctant to challenge their views. But as we all know, experts and senior can get it all wrong and often have their views entrenched with a particular angle ie. Bias. So from this point of view, this labeling may in fact be detrimental to the flow of discussions. Given how BNA has operated and what I have experienced in other mature and objectively moderated forum, trolls who wants to take a discussion to a ridiculous tangent are usually dealt with promptly, causing little negative impact. At the end of the day, a knowledgeable person will always standout in a discussion and professionals can decide on how they want to advertise themselves in their signature.

The reality is, our reputation is only as good (or bad) as our last post. :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:44 am

X-wing wrote:I voted no, mostly because I don't see what value it adds. We know who the pros are on the forum, and I think we also know who to rely on for excellent information.

I also agree that the stars appear to be duplicating the post counts.
X-wing - you just voted to keep them then, since the question is "should we get rid of them?" :oops:
---------------------

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:57 am

I voted to keep them because they look pretty :lol:

Granted a lot of my post count is from link the photo thread which means I've contributed a lot of fluff.I do however try to be serious and add value when I can to a thread.

Every one gets a bit precious about status I think.I always keep my ego in check by remembering that this is only an internet forum(cyber world) full of personal opinions, preferences and ideas that are mostly insignificant in the real world and amount to zip outside this community.We represent a minority of all Australia's cyclists and like to chatter amongst ourselves and air our opinions.It's really not that important in the real world/daily life of a member if some one else has a blue star.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:58 am

Chris,

You need to re-word the question (and fix the spelling error ('rid' not 'ride'). :oops:

Make it simple - "Do you want the star rating?"

Kev.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Chris,

Kev.
If he changes it to that then the whole thing is skewed, as a yes vote to get rid of em will , would become yes i want a star rating.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:22 pm

I voted no, I dont see the need to highlight any members other than Admin, Mods and industry Experts.

The senior members are easy to spot by post count, then its up to me to decide if their opinions / posts are worth reading etc a system of stars isnt going to make it easier.

Admin and Mods are also easily found and I have to say do a great job keeping the forums running nicely.

As for experts EG: Alex Simmons/RST; on a car detailing forum I helped start we used an avatar of a polishing machine to denote a professional detailer maybe here you could use a little bike avatar or similar.

We also have a rule that any re-sellers or their staff must identify themselves either by user name EG: I am Dave_Waxit or in their signature. This helps the "normal" user identify posts by these people as they could be commerically skewed. Mind you we have some very emotional people when it comes to products and product arguements are common.

I find this forum is very well run and the members are friendly and tolerant of new members, it has a great "feel" to it so to speak.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:35 pm

brauluver wrote:
Kev365428 wrote:Chris,

Kev.
If he changes it to that then the whole thing is skewed, as a yes vote to get rid of em will , would become yes i want a star rating.
Was meant only to be an example, not the actual wording, but point taken.

Kev.

X-wing

Postby X-wing » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:37 pm

X-wing - you just voted to keep them then, since the question is "should we get rid of them?"
Darn! That's what happens when you only read the title of the thread, and not the question! :oops:

Now I feel like on of the Florida voters who accidentally voted for George Bush! :roll:

Thanks for letting me know Kal.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:24 pm

Will the senior member title go as well?Because that kind of makes me feel old like a senior citizen :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Thats at least two people who voted no when they stated they want to get rid of them :lol:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:12 pm

heh.... double negative... I feel a headache coming on.

Drop the stars... as suggested by a few others, I think without them, things are little more egalitarian in appearance and more encouraging for new comers. The text description is sufficient I think.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Well at the current vote count it looks like they will be going, so I've collected 3 as a memento of their brief appearance and to preserve BNA history. :lol:

CUEVO

Postby CUEVO » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:34 pm

I too voted no, not properly reading the question...clearly my fault for not reading, but wonder how many others have done this as well??

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:37 pm

Christopher,

I think you need to run the poll again with less ambiguous phrasing in the question. Too many people were confused by the wording to give an accurate assessment of the members' views.

(You've got a different question in the thread title to the poll question.)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Christopher,

I think you need to run the poll again with less ambiguous phrasing in the question. Too many people were confused by the wording to give an accurate assessment of the members' views.

(You've got a different question in the thread title to the poll question.)

Cheers,
Graeme
On that note:
I realise that this is the appropriate sub forum for this, but would it get a broader response if it was posted or linked to the General discussion area?
27 votes to date is a bit low for a representative count.
Not trying to teach you guys to suck eggs or anything, just thinking out loud.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:34 pm

Hmmm.., 50-50 on this myself. I've voted to do away with stars.

The stars are not necessary for ego value. The titles aren't needed either for a 'Senior Member' as the post count tells people this. But mods and supermods should be identified as those in authority.
X-wing wrote:We know who the pros are on the forum
Well I don't know who all the pros are. I would like to have these experts identified as such, if their status is known to moderators. That ensures their opinions maybe respected, and possible biases made clear.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:15 am

Bad news for everyone who voted no - you get Minus Stars.

I feel that the vote count - and take into account at least 3 accidental "No's" - is a small cross section, but still representative.

That means - The stars go.
Has anyone got anything against giving the mods back a bicycle - but without the stars? Previously we had the square with a person holding a bike - I would simply it though it is aimed to create an identifier.

Can I keep the naming - senior member - or should this go as well?

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on this.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Voted to get rid of the stars

Happy to have Mods recognised however you like. They do the work, good on them.

Not keen on titles like Senior Member.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:08 pm

AUbicycles wrote: Can I keep the naming - senior member - or should this go as well?

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on this.

Cheers
Christopher
I say lets get rid of it as well now the stars have gone and just be Egalitarian,as that's the feel created by this poll.

anyone care to second that?
Last edited by brauluver on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.