BNA Server Down - Connection Issues

philip

Postby philip » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Couldn't connect for at least 5 minutes until now, 13:03 AEST. Got a connection reset then it was all ok, which indicates they restarted the webserver.

philip

Postby philip » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Not quite all ok.. still getting extremely slow (~1 minute) page loads

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Yeah, seems the server is struggling.

Really seems like a performance related issue, either that or concurrent access is throttled. I wonder if the server is powerful enough for the number of users. (it probably has several other applications running on it also).

It's been dodgy for several weeks...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Chanboy wrote:Yeah, seems the server is struggling.

Really seems like a performance related issue, either that or concurrent access is throttled. I wonder if the server is powerful enough for the number of users. (it probably has several other applications running on it also).

It's been dodgy for several weeks...
we are chatting too much and overloading the poor server
<removed by request>

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:26 pm

This is SLOoooow! What ever they are doing, this forum is still in trouble.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:28 pm

throw more CPU's at the bastard! :-)

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:09 pm

Please get a new server. This is too frustrating...
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:02 pm

kilroy wrote:This is too frustrating...
+1

Seems worse every day with me.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:21 pm

+2

the pain the pain!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:22 pm

kilroy wrote:Please get a new server. This is too frustrating...
+1

I'm amazed I can even get on to make a complaint. I suppose if left this problem will subside as people unable to read threads lose interest and go elsewhere.

philip

Postby philip » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:21 pm

:( I know you're trying to be polite with the hosting provider, but this is really unacceptable, I think it's time for some harsh words! I hope they're reimbursing you for this month at least. I know it will be a big hassle and lots of work to find another host, so it really would be good if they could fix the problems, but it really shouldn't take this long.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Slow, and timed out connections all day today.
this is really frustrating, and I'm beginning to drift awaaaay............from this problem plagued site.
Hope you can rectify it soon or your regular members may be lost, and newer subscribers will give it up as a lost cause.

Cheers david

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:52 pm

philip wrote::( I know you're trying to be polite with the hosting provider, but this is really unacceptable, I think it's time for some harsh words! I hope they're reimbursing you for this month at least. I know it will be a big hassle and lots of work to find another host, so it really would be good if they could fix the problems, but it really shouldn't take this long.
I am surprised such a long period of time has passed and they still haven't identifed what the problem is, let alone fix it...

Would be good if they could move the BNA site to a different box...assuming the problem is related to this current box and not the host's entire network.
Last edited by CoffsGal on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:07 pm

I have read every single comment and agree.

I will certainly be discussing these problems with the host and see how they aim to 'make it good' as they do have a 99.99% server uptime guarantee and I have communicate via email, phone and fax that the problems are seriously affecting the performance of the service - both the community side (the forum) and the BNA directory.

For example, if the google ranking is affected then this really stuffs everything up, and it takes months and years to make it up again. Making it good would mean to me more than just refunding 1 month.

Let me think about the best next steps and see what the options are. I am open to (positive) creative suggestions.
Cycling is in my BNA

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Insert many swear words. This is like using dial up. Last few days have been unreachable. Even now it's slow as a rocking horse having a crap. :shock:
AUbicycles wrote:I am open to (positive) creative suggestions.
Personally after what happened to my old forums, (The web hoster blew them up twice, I blew them up once :shock: ) I'd move the forums at least to another host or server after replicating the database.

Be back when I can get through. Pressing submit many times here goes....

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:49 am

I have an announcement regarding expected downtime this weekend - though discussion continues here.

Status - The cause of the problem is still not known however there has been another suggestion and as a result expected on Saturday night / Sunday early morning is a migration of the site - not to a new server though to an updated version of Plesk. The problems may be related to the version of plesk currently running.

I welcome reports of slow responses, connection refused or 404 style errors (times are always good). As of Sunday I am hoping that the issues are solved though am uncertain as to whether this will be the case - in which case I will be on the phone with the host during Monday.

For the techies, an issue of changing to another server are the connections (forum and main site) - in the last server change there were, unexpectedly, new paths and connection details which meant longer offline time while my programmers had to go and update all of the settings again.

--

Now for some emotion - I am disappointed with my host, who are otherwise reliable and fast. I don't think this is normal.

The hosting package I have is not the cheapest - with the amount of traffic it nice a beefy - can I get better hosting for the same price? I am certainly open to suggestions - My host was given an ultimatum to fix the problems by Wednesday, this has now past. A host change will cost time and money - though it is worth considering the options now before everyone disappears.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00 am

I feel your pain Chris. But again, a big thank you for providing this service to the cycling community and every one of us here.

Fingers crossed. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:44 am

sogood wrote:I feel your pain Chris. But again, a big thank you for providing this service to the cycling community and every one of us here.

Fingers crossed. :roll:
+1

Thanks Chris :D.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:27 pm

+2 :D Thanks for your efforts Chris. Much appreciated.

I've been browsing for around 20 minutes and it has been pretty good. No sign of the sluggish page loads and timeouts. Maybe the updated version of Plesk cured the problem. I too have my fingers crossed.

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:39 pm

I should have crossed my toes too... slow and incomplete loads once again :(

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Was working great this morning but slowed right down from about 12.00.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:38 pm

Good luck Chris, this stuff is very frustrating for all concerned.

Be assured, this is a great site and we do appreciate your efforts.

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Dreadfully slow at 9:32 pm AEST Saturday - pretty unusable, taken 15 minutes to get this in...

Agree your efforts are greatly appreciated Chris. Not sure why ppl are assuming it is a problem within your host as opposed to someone running a denial-of-service attack on the site - can't see how we can tell the difference. Certainly feel your pain and reticence with moving site - not an easy call - and wouldn't resolve a denial of service attack. Hope all this doesn't undermine your desire to keep the site alive.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:45 am

Pretty sure I can rule a DOS attack - the host would be onto this pretty quickly and with the logs we could easy recognise this.
Cycling is in my BNA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:15 am

Something very strange just occurred.

Went to post and told that I couldn't post links until I have 10 posts. And now almost all of Sunday's posts have disappeared :shock:

What is going on?????
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."