How to post images on the Australian Cycling Forums

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

How to post images on the Australian Cycling Forums

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:56 pm

These forums currently don't host images (yet) so the approach to add images is to upload them to your favourite photo sharing service and then 'link' to them as follows.

Photos will be resized to fit - but please avoid large photos as they take longer to load. 700 - 800 pixels wide is fine.

SHORT INSTRUCTIONS

Get the complete image URL, paste it in the post and wrap it with the IMG BBcode.

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.domain.com/myimage.jpg[/img]

DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS

1. Copy the entire URL directly to the image.
It usually has the file extension .jpg or .gif or .png

For example: http://www.myimagehost.com/myaccount/image70234.jpg

2. Past the image URL inside your post

3. Use the IMG BBcode
To do this, first select (highlight) the URL and then in the full editor (not quick reply) there are a range of BBcodes displayed above.

Click on the img and the tags will be applied to your image. It would then look like this.

[img]http://www.myimagehost.com/myaccount/image70234.jpg[/img]
4. Preview your post
To make sure the images are displayed properly, preview your post first.

More Info
You can manually add the code. Don't forget that you need to open and close the tage

open tag at the front [img]URL here[/img] close tag at the back which has the / backslash

Image Hosting Services

Google+ - works well - the image URL doesn't have the .jpg or .gif file extension
Post Images - easy and works well
Instagram - we now have a BBcode specifically for Instagram. Details here
imgur - works well instructions here
Flickr - does not allow the URLs to be copied - but you can click SHARE and copy the BBcode and paste this.

Generally not good options
Photobucket - Not Recommend - now full of ads, trick advertising and popup windows.

Original Post saved for prosperity

G'Day all.
There's been a few queries about how to insert pictures into posts. We did have a sticky on it once but it seems to have vanished when the forum has moved between servers. Here we go...

First up, head over to photobucket or another image hosting site and set up an account, once you've done that you can upload your pics.

Once the pics have uploaded, the host site will supply a line of code which you just copy/paste into your post like this...

[img]http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/download/file.php?avatar=494_1256872361.jpg[/img]

With a bit o' luck, you'll get this...

If you want to post a pic that already exists on the web, right click on it and go to properties. Copy the address (URL) line completely, paste it in where you want it, highlight it then click the Img button above. In Firefox just right click and select copy image location then paste away.
Hope this helps.

Shaun

dodgiebros

Re: How to post images

Postby dodgiebros » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:49 pm

Shaun

Do I have to resize photos before uploading to host? If so, what is a desired size/ resolution?

Troy

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:04 am

G'Day Troy.
I really should have put that in. :oops: Thanks for pointing it out.

I personally go for 800x600 which works fine for a 22" widescreen monitor. 640x480 will fit comfortably on anything bar netbooks. Photobucket will do the resize for you as do many hosts.

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hillman

Postby hillman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks for the tips :)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:33 pm

After 700-odd posts I've just discovered the Img button :roll:

I'll be moving towards pixelatted-commentaries now.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:40 am

Been trying to sort out how to get images to psot without much success & I think I may have tracked down the problem. I upload all my images to my Flikcr account and they don't provide a www.flickr.com/user/name.jpg link for the photo you have to use the page link instead which doesn't end in.jpg for example http://www.flickr.com/photos/becker_11/ ... otostream/

How can I get around this?
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat May 07, 2011 8:26 am

Wow, they have really hidden the image - to avoid copying.

The image on this page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/becker_11/5691021840

Is actually at this location
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5305/569 ... c9cb_z.jpg

I have the firefox browser plugin called firebug that helps me locate it - not dead simple but when you know what you are looking for it is there. Anyone else with a clever solution... maybe another service like photobucket?
Cycling is in my BNA

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat May 07, 2011 8:49 am

If you click on the share by email button, then right click on the image on the window that pops up and then click on properties it will show the URL with jpg.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:55 am

Okay that works although it was slightly harder for me as I'm using the chromium browser and it doesn't have a properties option in the right click menu instead I had to inspect element similar to firebug in firefox I guess and copy the url then remove all the extra code BUT I did get a url.

The problem is the image was really tiny Image
so while it does work it's not a great solution.
Regards
Nathaniel

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat May 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Becker_11 wrote:Okay that works although it was slightly harder for me as I'm using the chromium browser and it doesn't have a properties option in the right click menu instead I had to inspect element similar to firebug in firefox I guess and copy the url then remove all the extra code BUT I did get a url.

The problem is the image was really tiny [img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5305/569 ... c0ddb7c9cb_t.jpg[/img]
so while it does work it's not a great solution.
Sorry, had another look. It appears at first glance that the only difference is the letter Z at the end of the string. So, if you copy the string from the thumbnail and change the last letter, "s" or" t" to a "z" it might work.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Yep you are correct changing the last letter in this case a t for a z gave me the larger image. Now before I get all excited I'm going to try the same trick on another image and make sure it is repeatable.
Regards
Nathaniel

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Yep it works on other images too. Thanks for working through this I really appreciate it. I didn't really want to have to find another site for my images. I don't know how you guys do it though I learnt html back at version 3.2 when it was easy now there is so much scripting code my eyes just glaze over.
Regards
Nathaniel

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat May 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Becker_11 wrote:Yep it works on other images too. Thanks for working through this I really appreciate it. I didn't really want to have to find another site for my images. I don't know how you guys do it though I learnt html back at version 3.2 when it was easy now there is so much scripting code my eyes just glaze over.
Probably knowing absolutely nothing about programming or html in my case :wink: helped me spot the difference and a trial with a few of your images seemed to confirm the theory.

Glad to be of help
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi

With Flickr I simply right click on the photo, click on one of the size links, e.g., medium and then right click on the subsequent image, select copy image URL and way I go. A bit of a pain but it works okay with out to much drama.

Andrew
Andrew

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

With Flickr I simply right click on the photo, click on one of the size links, e.g., medium and then right click on the subsequent image, select copy image URL and way I go. A bit of a pain but it works okay with out to much drama.

Andrew
Wow (can't write what I really said :D ) I can't believe how easy that is and how difficult I thought it was and what a run around we came up with to get around it.

Thanks Andrew!
Regards
Nathaniel

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Pushy wrote:
Becker_11 wrote:Yep it works on other images too. Thanks for working through this I really appreciate it. I didn't really want to have to find another site for my images. I don't know how you guys do it though I learnt html back at version 3.2 when it was easy now there is so much scripting code my eyes just glaze over.
Probably knowing absolutely nothing about programming or html in my case :wink: helped me spot the difference and a trial with a few of your images seemed to confirm the theory.

Glad to be of help
You don't know programming or html and you managed to work it out? I'm impressed! Thanks Pushy
Regards
Nathaniel

barryie

Postby barryie » Mon May 14, 2012 4:38 pm

hi it is 2012 why cant you upload on postings ? you have to join another site then copy/paste a link ? shheshhh what does the net run on steam

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon May 14, 2012 4:43 pm

barryie wrote:hi it is 2012 why cant you upload on postings ? you have to join another site then copy/paste a link ? shheshhh what does the net run on steam
Oi noob, want to pay to host the images then?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Thank you.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:29 pm

I used to use photobucket; it and sites like it are nominally free, but you 'pay' in ad intrusion, re-rezing of images (possible, on upload), or limited shelf-life of your image collection. Have now moved to smugmug, where, for a relatively cheap sub cost, you get:
-no ads
-no re-rezing of images on upload.
-slick/smooth GUI, with really easy access to links, including different size forum embed links
-huge file-holding limits; no drop-offs (where you suddenly find your images gorn!!)
-great support (they have been around quite a while). If there's one thing Americans do better than most it's customer service/support.

I work in digital prepress so am around the biz of file transfer/upload quite a bit.

here's an example of a Gallery link
Embedding of images inside the forum is very straightforward as well. It's really good for family/friends sharing of pics too, of course. :wink:

Hope this may be of benefit to someone here... Below, Links area has tabs for the different types of links you may want. Copying is a button click only...easy.

Last edited by frailer5 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Cycling is in my BNA

FLG

Postby FLG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Really helpful !

Thanks.

trailerbill

Postby trailerbill » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:10 am

Why cant i upload picture from my computer and I will never use a out side server to hold my pictures

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:09 am

Because some humans have the tendency to upload images for which they have no permission to reproduce. This would mean that images would be hosted on BNA servers and potentially some responsibility may be assumed on Bicycles Network Australia (despite our T&C's).

To avoid issues and also make the forums faster - it was decided to use the embed method which removes the site from hosting such image.

The instructions provided are pretty good and work very well for most members.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailerbill

Postby trailerbill » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:59 am

if that the case i leave BNA as i find it no use to me.
I use other forums on the net but there not on Bicycles .
I wish the BNA good will