Support...But How?

biker_4_fun

Support...But How?

Postby biker_4_fun » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:22 pm

hey,
ive been wondering about getting the public to go on these forums and take a interest. But the the big question is how...?
Ive been wondering if you Christopher have any stickers to support our site? It would be great if you do ahve some...
If Christopher has any stickers could everyone who wants a couple to support our site please post here with saying if you would like some.

Cheers, Mark :D

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:03 pm

I'm still working on it here in WA. Recruited one so far. Not much but it's a start.

Stickers would be OK, I could put one on my bike. It goes everywhere.
There is only one BicycleWA.

matagi

Postby matagi » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:23 am

Not sure what is going on with this forum ... could it be that it isn't all that easy or obvious to find? We stumbled on it quite by accident whilst searching for something else (cycling related). It is also a very low volume forum in terms of numbers of posts, so people who do sign up no doubt lose interest and forget about it after a while.

Ok, some numbers for comparison, this forum has 205 registered users.

The women's cycling forum, launched in Nov 2005, has 400 registered users.

The Bicycle Victoria forum, launched just over 12 months ago, has 1074 registered users.

There are clearly people out there who participate in forums, but not this one, it seems. So the question that needs to be asked is - why the apparent lack of participation on this forum?

Now, the BV forum I think was originally driven by people participating in BV events (Around the Bay in a Day, Great Victorian Bike Ride, etc) wanting information and sharing ideas. It has grown somewhat from that and is quite a busy forum these days (I only joined it in January this year, but the activity has ramped up even since then).

The women's cycling forum was publicised in BV's members magazine "Ride On" and obviously fills a need with a specific group.

So, does this forum need some additional publicity? Like a mention in a cycling magazine or something? Maybe you need to approach some of the state cycling organisations, like Bicycle NSW, Pedal Power ACT, etc. It might be worthwhile talking to the people at the Cycling Promotion Fund. Sell the forum as a resource which is already available for them to use, for promoting events, getting their members to exchange ideas, etc.

Edit: maybe the moderators would like to move this thread to general discussion.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:56 am

I found this forum by finding the top page with the lists of bicycle makes and other useful info, when I noticed the link "Cycling Forum".

I've noticed that the BV forums, while quite busy, cater mainly for Victoria. They also have an Off Topic Thread, where people can discuss anything.

This is the only Oz forum that I know of that specifically caters for touring, and has places for each state.

I've just about finished building my new touring rig. I'll post a piccy of it. Get a few starting to post piccies of their bikes, and we can show that the site is being used.

Maybe we could we also get the little Avatar piccies like some of the other forums. This is a great forum, especially the idea of the forums for each state and Christopher has done a great job. I think it also up to us to promote the site, and spread the word, and use the forums.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:37 pm

It seems that a lot of Sydney based riders use a particular international forum. Don't know why, possibly a critical mass thing.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:35 pm

mikesbytes wrote:It seems that a lot of Sydney based riders use a particular international forum. Don't know why, possibly a critical mass thing.
We would in WA, but our little Fraudband pipe out of WA makes it almost impossible to hit, and I prefer this one as it's based in Australia.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:10 am

Hi,
Thanks for the discussion about this. I am certainly interested in increasing interest and activity in the forum and here are a few comment.. welcome feedback though.

- with 205 users I can honestly say that 90% are real users... even if not all regularly post. A few months back I spent an evening working late into the night deleting about 200 (probably more) dodgy users. These are people who either want to post spam or who, in their profile, list dodgy URLs and email addresses with the aim to increase traffic to dodgy sites. I regularly go through this and it means deleting a few users each week.

- I do bicyles.net.au as a hobby and aside from the forum spend a bit of time each month updating the site to maintain quality and coverage. One aim is, if the site isn't my full-time job is to minimise the maintenance required.

- Sure, I can get some stickers. Give me some time do get them designed and printed and I will make an annoucement for requests.

- What if the forum is promoted more prominently on the homepage?

- Suggestion about promoting it to the bicycles press is good. I will give it a go.

Cheers
Christopher

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:35 am

AUbicycles wrote:What if the forum is promoted more prominently on the homepage?
That might be a good idea, as I only noticed it by accident as it's on the extreme right.

Thanks for the great web site and forums. I have found your list of manufacturers and shops quite helpful on many occasions.

biker_4_fun

Postby biker_4_fun » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:20 pm

i have found it very helpful too...because when u google fro example ACT bike stores it will come up with ones from usa and canada...when here its all in their region...THANX

cheers, Mark

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:03 pm

my advice in addition to what other people are saying is;

what is a forum for?

a) advise and problem solving
(will get better with volume / genuine members)
b) enhance service delivery and real world activities

I believe greater emphasis on part two is where the real gains can be made.

i.e.

-Boards for cycling clubs
-Boards for casual group rides and informal meetups
-magazine / retailer cross promotions and benefits

I think you get the idea.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 pm

I think its a great forum because it's not city or state centric. Makes it more interesting, but it also has enough single interest posts for users who want that.

That's what I call having your cake and eating it too. :D

We probably don't say it enough but good job Christopher and Thanks. 8) :)

Ricco

forum use etc

Postby Ricco » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:13 am

:) Only fairly new to the site.

Think it has something for everyone, good stuff.

I enjoy reading all the different stuff and the scope it covers, I take my hat off to you Chris. Good effort.

Anyone that has an association with a club or cycling body should do their bit by suggesting the site and having it prommoted as and whenever possible.

Thanks to all concerned

rob e

Postby rob e » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:12 pm

I too am a relevantly new member of this forum. Its been the only Cycling forum i've found that is Oz specific (rather than Vic specific) and i am bloody surprised there are only 205 members.

would be great if we had a few more posters, thats for sure. I reckon a bit of advertising in the cycling press - ie. Bicycling or even Ride would see a hell of a lot more traffic.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:09 pm

To add my 2 cents.... Why not try to get a sticker or something else into those free 'showbags' you get at the end of events like spring cycle?

I found this site when I had a problem with the first bike I ever bought. The help I received was quick, thoughtful and really quite helpful. Have stuck with it ever since.
Shannon

Apollo Vanquish (Snapped Seat Stay)
LeMond Tourmalet (Still Kicking :D)
Raleigh Record (Sold)
Schwinn Avenue Hybrid (Sold)

roller

Postby roller » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:27 pm

ShanDog wrote:To add my 2 cents.... Why not try to get a sticker or something else into those free 'showbags' you get at the end of events like spring cycle?
this is a good idea, a small sticker with the name, website & logo on might not cost too much to produce.

then you could get a couple of volunteers from each city to hand them out at cycling events - i'm sure there would be plenty of people who would offer to help out.

person gets sticker, checks out site, likes it - tells friend.

puts sticker on car - other people see it, like it, tells friend.

re: funding for stickers

you could easily have a non-obtrusive banner on the top of the page advertising various cycling shops and alike for a small fee.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:43 pm

We did have stickers - they were cheap and I gave them away - a problem was that they were not all weather and don't last that well - also, it was not hot enough to stick on the Pinarello.

I am still looking at the options for a run of better quality stickers - keep the suggestions coming regarding recommended suppliers - however if they are going to cost $2 a pop, then that is out of my budget and it would get messy selling low quantities and collecting money.

So topic not forgotten - at the moment the two other endevours are:

BNA Jersey (round 2)
BNA Polo shirts (testing to see who wants one)
Cycling is in my BNA