Editing / Deleting Posts

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Editing / Deleting Posts

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:32 am

After a unfortunate episode in which a member started deleting 200 of their own posts and thus created the problem of rendering threads in which they had participated meaningless, some technical changes have been made and are currently being tested that restrict editing / deleting of posts after a certain time (1 day editing, 2 days deletion). We have to see if problems arise with this (eg. editing a market place item to reflect that it has been sold) and see what solutions / option are available. Report issues here.

Please note - if you do have a problem with one of your own posts, please inform a moderater as we will support - for example if you regret posting something or there is a legal issue. This idea is not to restrict rather to ensure that threads don't fall apart when useful content is deleted or edited out without reason.
Cycling is in my BNA

scooter71

Re: Editing / Deleting Posts

Postby scooter71 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:25 pm

I'm a former member just joined again (had not logged on for a while) and sent a reply to a post. I was notified that a moderator would check the reply before allowing it there was nothing offensive or abusive in it but it was not sent. I'm just wondering why and will a moderator be checking every post sent. cheers..

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Only the first post... as an anti spam measure.

Previously spammers could log on (sometimes automated) and post... and if they got excited, it would take a while for a moderater to clean up the mess.

For a while the approach has been changed so the first ever post that a new member makes need to be approved (or... there posts will not be automatically posted until at least one post has been approved). For interest, it is a bit of a drag for new members as it is not entirely clear what is happening... and is not instant, however for the benefit of the active community there is very little spam - credit to the mods.
Cycling is in my BNA

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:10 am

Oh - I was wondering why I couldn't edit my post to reflect items that had been sold in the FS forum.

It's not a major drama but it is pretty annoying - nobody seems to read past the first post so I got a few pms about stuff that'd already gone.

Chef

Postby Chef » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:09 am

lethoso wrote:Oh - I was wondering why I couldn't edit my post to reflect items that had been sold in the FS forum.

It's not a major drama but it is pretty annoying - nobody seems to read past the first post so I got a few pms about stuff that'd already gone.
I agree - due to the nature of the market place, is it possible to enable editing for that area of the forum only?

Cheers
Phil

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi, there were some updates to the marketplace rules providing a solution for this scenario.
The new approach would be to add a post at the end announcing the sale is closed (etc). Most people should read through a thread before replying, and while not a perfect solution, still works well for our member to member marketplace.
Cycling is in my BNA

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:03 pm

I often need to correct my posts because my spelling is so bad that I need to edit it. So can I be exempt due to my disability of poor spelling
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:11 pm

I see no spelling errors... :?

You could run Firefox and get the spellcheck plugin :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I see no spelling errors... :?

You could run Firefox and get the spellcheck plugin :wink:
Thank you for that :wink: I will look into that asap
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Googel Krome coms wif spel chequer alredy enaabled. :mrgreen:

[Postd wiv IE9, wich sux. :x ]

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Good news - editing is still allowed after posting... though after a certain time period (what was it again, a few days?) then editing is locked.
Cycling is in my BNA

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:53 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Good news - editing is still allowed after posting... though after a certain time period (what was it again, a few days?) then editing is locked.
24 hours.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.