Why do we have the word censor on BNA?

News from Bicycles Network Australia and the Australian Cycling Forums

Why do we have the word censor on BNA?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 pm

After receiving yet another absolutely rotten email, this may make sense for new members.

On the forums, long long ago there wern't many rules and over time rules were added to make it a better and more friendlier place. In the last few years there havn't been many new additions but one that has been around for a long time is the rule of swearing - no swearing and no bypassing the word censor (which blocks rude words) to achieve the same effect.

Lets briefly cover some points.

Isn't it old fashioned / conservative?
I am not bothered deeply by these words and yes, they are in movies and on TV's and the kids will hear them anyway. But this forum was built as general audience / family friendly resource and is event listed as a school resource for cycling by the government. Swear words are very rarely a necessary part of conversation / communication.

We are old enough
The majority of members and visitors are adults but there are kids, grandparents, relatives and friends who sometimes take an interest in the cycling passion and the majority of members here voted that it was better to lift the tone.

But I was really angry
Swearing may seem appropriate, but even just basic intelligence is sufficient to be able to clear describe a situation, person, etc and express emotions without needing swearing.

The point is, the tone and quality of the discussion is better and it is a nicer place. Other forums have different rules and that is fine - but this mature and friendly approach in these forums works best. Of course it may not suit everybody - and this is where other forums may be better suited.

While BNA has stayed true to the founding priciples, discussion is still invited and through the discussion, member suggestions and voting, many ideas or changes have been set in motion.

Cheers
Christopher
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

by BNA » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:14 pm

BNA

Re: Why do we have the word censor on BNA?

Postby outnabike » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:14 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
We are old enough
The majority of members and visitors are adults but there are kids, grandparents, relatives and friends who sometimes take an interest in the cycling passion and the majority of members here voted that it was better to lift the tone.

But I was really angry
Swearing may seem appropriate, but even just basic intelligence is sufficient to be able to clear describe a situation, person, etc and express emotions without needing swearing.

The point is, the tone and quality of the discussion is better and it is a nicer place. Other forums have different rules and that is fine - but this mature and friendly approach in these forums works best. Of course it may not suit everybody - and this is where other forums may be better suited. Christopher
Snipped.

Hi AUbicycles,
I am afraid I am in the grand pa category , and whilst I am aware of the world, at my place when the kids come I have never sworn in front of them and they not to me.
So when I show them some thing regarding cycling, it lowers the conversation to see swearing or replacement words that equal swearing to come into the posts.

Yet this is against forum policy and is mostly overlooked by the admin.

Its the same with the videos of angry people; They can edit the tape to allow for text, explanations, locations, etc but don't seem able to loose the sound track, It's not family friendly enough for me to show the grand kids.
I mean even just the style of writing can be offensive ....Do the ladies in the forum really find this stuff pleasant, My wife doesn't.

Is there need for this...
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=71982
but I'm busting my balls saving for a house so every penny counts. That said, if it doesn't sell that's cool as I'm a bit of a rapha whore & the stuff is all amazing quality.

And before any one says "if you don't like it go away," that is no problem either....
outnabike

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks for your feedback. With the example it is particularly hard to moderate and the majority of members do help keep the tone of the conversation in check. So while I get aweful emails, I also receive positive feedback about the overall quality and tone of the forums which does suggest a contrast with some other forums.

My approach currently for carelsss swearers is firstly to remove / delete, often with a small note so that the person can take the hint. For repeat offenders or particularly rough use of the English language it is edited and a warning sent. When it gets vulger then harder action is taken. I accept that some new members first have to realise this so react accordingly.

For members the two main approaches are to let the newbies know and when a moderator needs to see it, report the post.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:07 pm

We went through all this several years back on our email system at CFA in Victoria (where I am the sys admin). Its really not easy because a lot of words are everyday words and they are used in a different context making it sometimes impossible for an automated system. Luckily you have the majority of well mannered cyclists (try doing the same thing with some pretty rough nut Firey's!). We were having so many blocked messages at one stage that we abandoned the standard filter and edited our own list of words blocking 20 or 30 different words and combinations). Interpretation and context are so hard to police and doing so is not an easy job so you have to feel a litle bit for Chris and the Mods in this regard. Mind you not sure the Cycle Chick thread would of passed our diversity program guidelines :-)

Sent using Tapatalk so it will include the odd typo and mis-posting!
2012 Giant Defy Compo 1
2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah I know meant to be Cycle Chic but I see there are an awful lot of good looking women on this thread which again is open to interpretation.

Last edited by rodneycc on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Giant Defy Compo 1
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Ps I just noticed the Mod warning that I didn't see the other day so I take that back - you guys were onto it.

2012 Giant Defy Compo 1
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Umm, fellers, it's "Cycle Chic" as in stylish, classy, smooooth. Non gender specific thanks.

On a personal note, the Mod Squad can't be everywhere, all the time. If you see anything a bit or more dodgy, hit the report button on it and let us know what the problem is. We can't guarantee that you'll get feedback or even that you'll agree with the actions taken but every report is taken seriously and dealt with ASAP.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby schroeds » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Fwiw I reckon the policy is 100% justified and you apply it very well

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
schroeds

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:18 pm

schroeds wrote:Fwiw I reckon the policy is 100% justified and you apply it very well

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

+1

2012 Giant Defy Compo 1
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Plus another, I know I can show my young kids the vast majority of stuff on this site while another well known MTB forum is generally not appropriate for little eyes now that they can read.

I don't mind the odd naughty comment but it does get tiring when threads descend into profanity, abuse and name calling, thankfully not an issue here.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:18 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Umm, fellers, it's "Cycle Chic" as in stylish, classy, smooooth. Non gender specific thanks.

Shaun

Not to be confused with Cycle Sheik. :-D cue IP with picture of a Middle Eastern dude in white robes pedalling fast as he can...

2012 Giant Defy Compo 1
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:46 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Umm, fellers, it's "Cycle Chic" as in stylish, classy, smooooth. Non gender specific thanks.

Agreed.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:00 pm

I like the fact that coarse language is a no no = Fs and Cs but think the two Bs is ok and the S word I would rather see it said as the Cr word. :idea:

Being a truckie I work in a world of coarse language and enjoy not having to read posts without the coarse words. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 pm

I have to do a bit of guessing but I appreciate the feedback - a confirmation that it is ok to do it this way and I certainly prefer it.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Info / announcements