Image resizer

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Image resizer

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:34 pm

It is good practice when including images, to ensure that they are not too big.

Because threads are easily ruined by oversize images and this is reoccurring, a resizer has been setup (max 700 pixels high / wide) meaning the forum wont break as easily. I still recommend smaller images because in the background you still have to load that 1MB image at 2048 pixels... if you can save 900kb with a smaller image, you can feel good about saving bandwidth, saving energy and being an all-round goot netizen.

Any questions or issues, just let me know.

And thanks to PhilMailloux for specific recommendations, and also to forum members who have reminded and supported.
Cycling is in my BNA

cycleape

Re: Image resizer

Postby cycleape » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:15 pm

The best, light an quick to use, Image Resizer: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... ws-7vista/
It will create an option "resize" (right mouse click) in the context menu' then you have the choice to define the size in pixels for the picture.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:10 am

I think it's just beyond the conceptual reach for some users. Just because things look fine on their 20"+ monitor; she'll be right. :roll:

It does kind of suck that it has to be Mod/Admin enforced, but you can't fool proof everything.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:19 am

This forum is phpBB, the web admin should be able to force image resizing on all posts, I know of a few forums using the same phpBB forum software and if an image is posted over a certain dimension it auto shrinks the image and adds a zoom feature so the users can choose to view the image in its original size if they want.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Trek Superfly 21.5 2015 29er

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:31 am

Mrlinderman wrote:This forum is phpBB, the web admin should be able to force image resizing on all posts
As I understand it, it's still an extra overhead (cost + time) Christopher has been avoiding for a little while. I can't blame him for that.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:43 am

HappyHumber wrote:
Mrlinderman wrote:This forum is phpBB, the web admin should be able to force image resizing on all posts
As I understand it, it's still an extra overhead (cost + time) Christopher has been avoiding for a little while. I can't blame him for that.
I was under the impression it has been done. There is another thread on the topic.

Andrew

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:58 am

Yep confirm its in, my Thread on the Trek Forum has images that have not been resized and they fit well.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Trek Superfly 21.5 2015 29er

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:19 pm

It has been done - that's what this thread is about! :mrgreen:

Still best practice to upload smaller 'thumbnails' for large images - these can be linked to the full-size pic.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Correct, I probably hid the fact that it was done in my complaints about image resizing protocol.
Cycling is in my BNA

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:23 pm

Usually it is easier to just stick a link in a post to an image on a site somewhere else, rather than download and resize it, then upload it to a share site, then find the url to paste. what happens to linked pics?

Also it would be nice if threads didn't get bloated when people quote a post with a pic in it, and that pic gets repeated over and over in the thread.

For image resizers, I've been using the free "Easy Thumbnails" for years. You can resize to a standard format, res, and size, a whole folder of pics. And it's very very quick.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:14 am

Linked pics are also resized, though each viewer still loads the original image (original kb or mb size) so it is just the display size that is manipulated.

Quoting images is certaiy not usually necessary. On the one hand it is netiquette, on the other, we have a lot of different people here who simply use and some of the nerdy rules for how we feel we should communication are too much.
Cycling is in my BNA

cycleape

Postby cycleape » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:42 am

Think of people not being able to use a computer so they need to be educated :)