BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

User avatar
cancan64
Posts: 1466
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:47 am

Tried the large this morning and a much better fit.. Avg temp this morning was 9c and found it was fine on its own..
Recap I an 182cm and 85kg
Image
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
Posts: 3959
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW
Contact:

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:58 am

Gunlock wrote:Jack, I've got a 3XL spare if you want it?


Take it Jack, that side panel is going to explode.

tony.kirk.904
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby tony.kirk.904 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:22 pm

If Jack doesn't take it I'm keen for a xxxl

Gunlock
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: Prahran, Melbourne

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby Gunlock » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:04 pm

tony.kirk.904 wrote:If Jack doesn't take it I'm keen for a xxxl


No worry Tony, if i dont hear back from Jack it's all yours.
Please help me raise money for Burundi with a 4 day, 1000KM ride to the TDU.
Support the crazy people here

User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
Posts: 3959
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW
Contact:

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Image

So I wore the jersey for the first time last night racing at Dunc Gray Velodrome. As with everyone else, I wore a base layer (it's colder in the drome than it is outside), but as you can see from the photo, it's too big. This is particularly evident when I'm riding (riding photos are coming).

I've asked Christopher for the XL jersey he has spare, so my 3XL is available if anyone wants it. It will be hand washed and dried in the shade like all my kit.

Despite being too long and loose, the jersey was great. Rear pockets are smaller than my other jerseys, but not a big issue. The gripper on the bottom was great, particularly because it was long; it stopped it riding up too much. Many positive comments were made about the colour combo and vividness of the colours.

tony.kirk.904
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby tony.kirk.904 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:04 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Image

So I wore the jersey for the first time last night racing at Dunc Gray Velodrome. As with everyone else, I wore a base layer (it's colder in the drome than it is outside), but as you can see from the photo, it's too big. This is particularly evident when I'm riding (riding photos are coming).

I've asked Christopher for the XL jersey he has spare, so my 3XL is available if anyone wants it. It will be hand washed and dried in the shade like all my kit.

Despite being too long and loose, the jersey was great. Rear pockets are smaller than my other jerseys, but not a big issue. The gripper on the bottom was great, particularly because it was long; it stopped it riding up too much. Many positive comments were made about the colour combo and vividness of the colours.

I'm still looking for a xxxl and haven't heard from Gunlock so if you're willing to part with it I'm happy to take it.

Gunlock
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: Prahran, Melbourne

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby Gunlock » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:10 pm

tony.kirk.904 wrote:I'm still looking for a xxxl and haven't heard from Gunlock so if you're willing to part with it I'm happy to take it.


Shot you a PM tony.
Please help me raise money for Burundi with a 4 day, 1000KM ride to the TDU.
Support the crazy people here

User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
Posts: 3959
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW
Contact:

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:40 pm

Gunlock wrote:
tony.kirk.904 wrote:I'm still looking for a xxxl and haven't heard from Gunlock so if you're willing to part with it I'm happy to take it.


Shot you a PM tony.


You can have 2 if you like.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12391
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:04 pm

BigFriendlyVegan, I will sort you out... but then again am aiming for first class service for all.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

The sizing seems to be a big issue and it it will be really valuable to document this. Are the jersey sizes actually different from spec, have you lost or added weight, did you choose based on existing fit. If we can tie this down I am certain that it would help Monton - and I expect that there may be variations through the different sizes.

User avatar
QuangVuong
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:04 pm
Location: Villawood, Sydney
Contact:

BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:15 pm

I really think it's just mainly down to people's choice of sizes. Monton's listed measurements in the chart are very similar to the actual jersey measurements, at least with my measurements as well as my brother's and queequegs'.

If people had chosen jersey sizing following the measurements, then it's quite likely that the jersey would fit them, rather than buying a jersey by the size tag, which could end up being ill fitting. This is the case with the jersey's actual size tag (CHN M/USA S, etc). Size is subjective, where as measurements are objective.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

GTPilot
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby GTPilot » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm happy with the size (3XL) of mine. Perhaps a little tight :s but I did expect it from the sizing. My main issue is being able to get out and wear it.

Gunlock
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: Prahran, Melbourne

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby Gunlock » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:18 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Are the jersey sizes actually different from spec, have you lost or added weight, did you choose based on existing fit. If we can tie this down I am certain that it would help Monton - and I expect that there may be variations through the different sizes.


I ordered mine (incorrectly) based on height and weight. Jersey size is pretty close to listed measurements, so if i had measured an existing jersey i would have had a good fitting jersey rather than waiting on a replacement size
Please help me raise money for Burundi with a 4 day, 1000KM ride to the TDU.
Support the crazy people here

User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
Posts: 3959
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW
Contact:

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:02 pm

Christopher has suggested that a 2XL might be my best option, since he's an XL. Basically, "Dave, what's up with wanting an XL. You're fatter than me, dude!", or at least that's what I would say (Christopher is such a diplomat).

So before I go for the XL when Christopher gets back to Aus in a couple of weeks, does anyone want to swap their 2XL for my 3XL?

User avatar
queequeg
Posts: 4751
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby queequeg » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Gunlock wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Are the jersey sizes actually different from spec, have you lost or added weight, did you choose based on existing fit. If we can tie this down I am certain that it would help Monton - and I expect that there may be variations through the different sizes.


I ordered mine (incorrectly) based on height and weight. Jersey size is pretty close to listed measurements, so if i had measured an existing jersey i would have had a good fitting jersey rather than waiting on a replacement size


Yes, as per my comments, the XL size I ordered says that it suits 175cm/70kg. Yes. it would if you wanted the jersey to resemble a dress or painting smock, so I think this should be dropped from the sizing chart. I am 185cm/83kg and it is still a little on the large side (in the bust). I may have actually been able to get away with the L size as the bust is quite roomy, and there is enough length that losing a couple of cm wouldn't make a huge difference.

In terms of what the chart says vs what I measured, that is kind of subjective as I am using the sizing chart to figure out where to measure. It does seem that the chart and the actual sizing need to be brought closer with the tolerances.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

Robinho
Posts: 575
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby Robinho » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:28 pm

I closely checked the sizing chart, and noted it was virtually identical to Castelli's. I'd normally go for a medium castelli, but had recently had a free Aero race Jersey (race cut) medium that was a bit small, so on that basis thought a race cut monton with the same sizes I'd need a large. The large was ok, but a little too large. The medium I swapped for fits really well. I do struggle for sizing as I am tall(ish), skinny and like a close fit, so am regularly finding myself with jerseys that are too short or too baggy, depending on which way I jump. In this case the medium is the right length, has good sleeve tightness and tight enough around the chest. I should have trusted my instincts and gone for a medium up front

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28899
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:24 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Christopher has suggested that a 2XL might be my best option, since he's an XL. Basically, "Dave, what's up with wanting an XL. You're fatter than me, dude!", or at least that's what I would say (Christopher is such a diplomat).

So before I go for the XL when Christopher gets back to Aus in a couple of weeks, does anyone want to swap their 2XL for my 3XL?


I'll be in that.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
Posts: 3959
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW
Contact:

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Christopher has suggested that a 2XL might be my best option, since he's an XL. Basically, "Dave, what's up with wanting an XL. You're fatter than me, dude!", or at least that's what I would say (Christopher is such a diplomat).

So before I go for the XL when Christopher gets back to Aus in a couple of weeks, does anyone want to swap their 2XL for my 3XL?


I'll be in that.


Deal done. Let's PM.

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28899
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Done :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

eldavo
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby eldavo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:54 pm

I got a 3XL due to current growth rate, with intention that it will be a loose cool offroad option by the time the heat returns in summer. I like it has a full zip since I have been wearing it over layers given winter.
https://1motorcyclist.wordpress.com/201 ... t-to-ride/

User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 5979
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:20 pm

QuangVuong wrote:If people had chosen jersey sizing following the measurements, then it's quite likely that the jersey would fit them, rather than buying a jersey by the size tag, which could end up being ill fitting.


Normally I would agree but it seems that it's the measurements that have thrown a lot of people out. Going by weight/height I came out somewhere around XL/2XL. I've never worn anything larger than a medium in my life. So I ordered medium. And it fits.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

User avatar
Phebe Monton
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby Phebe Monton » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:17 pm

AUbicycles wrote:BigFriendlyVegan, I will sort you out... but then again am aiming for first class service for all.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

The sizing seems to be a big issue and it it will be really valuable to document this. Are the jersey sizes actually different from spec, have you lost or added weight, did you choose based on existing fit. If we can tie this down I am certain that it would help Monton - and I expect that there may be variations through the different sizes.


Thank you, Christopher.

It would indeed help us if you could share with us your height, weight, waist, breast and other figures as well when you find it not fitting well.
Monton Cycling - montonsports.com
Enjoy Life, Enjoy Cycling

User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
Posts: 3959
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW
Contact:

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:24 pm

OK, I've done a bit of measuring and photographing and have a story to tell.

I chose the jersey based on the size chart below.

Image

I'm about 102 around the chest (maybe a bit smaller), but my best fitting jerseys are 52 across the pits (104 around) and 72cm long. I went for the 72cm length noted in the chart because it corresponded to my waist measurement (I take 36 jeans, which is 92cm). The height and weight numbers...well that threw me a bit. I was told it was race fit, so I expected something slim cut. I'm 190cm and currently 86kg, which is obviously a good deal bigger than the height and weight noted.

The 3XL was much too big, as the picture a few posts ago shoes. The back length was around 76cm, rather than 72 and the pit to pit distance was 57, where the chest size was noted as 112 (or 56). The cut was also not a race cut. It wasn't "club" cut, but it wasn't "race" cut either.

Here are some more pics for comparison.
Image

This one shows my daughter's jersey against the Monton jersey. I fit my daughter's jersey, but it fits me very tightly and so I'm including it as my absolute minimum sizing.

Image

This one shows a good fit jersey against the Monton one. I want all of my jerseys to fit like the one on top here. It is race cut, 72cm long. See the difference in the shape of the jersey towards the bottom? See the difference in the length? That's what I thought I was getting when I ordered 3XL.

I have made a swap with Mulger Bill for a 2XL, which I will photograph on Friday night wearing the same base layer and in the same pose for comparison purposes. If I can get my hands on an XL, I'll do the same.

So, the moral of the story is: the Monton sizing table is inaccurate. The height and weight should be scrapped right away and accurate flat jersey measurements should be reported. Pit to pit (across, not around) and back length are probably enough, though waist width (across, not around) would also be nice. Then I can measure a current jersey and make a decision based on that.

More to come when I get the 2XL.

User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 5979
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:07 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:The height and weight should be scrapped right away


I will measure mine in a bit more detail (against the chart and other jerseys), but will agree with this straight off the bat. They are nowhere near realistic let alone accurate IMHO.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

User avatar
queequeg
Posts: 4751
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby queequeg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:49 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:OK, I've done a bit of measuring and photographing and have a story to tell.

I chose the jersey based on the size chart below.

Image



So, the moral of the story is: the Monton sizing table is inaccurate. The height and weight should be scrapped right away and accurate flat jersey measurements should be reported. Pit to pit (across, not around) and back length are probably enough, though waist width (across, not around) would also be nice. Then I can measure a current jersey and make a decision based on that.

More to come when I get the 2XL.


I made the same observations about the sizing chart, which you can see above. It looks like my measurements have come out very close to yours, with the same comment that the height/weight is rubbish. I ignored that when I ordered because it just didn't seem to match any of my existing jerseys (you can see the measurements for two other brands in my initial review). Also, the chart vs reality for the measurements provided needs some work, as the Jersey was a bit bigger than stated on the chart.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

User avatar
grt046
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:53 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby grt046 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Monton Sports BNA Ultimate Jersey

Where bought
Purchased Chris as part of a sponsorship deal with Monton Sports

How it is used
Jersey is used normal recreational rides, from 40k up to 100km rides. As it is currently cool in Brisbane with most rides starting around 10 -12 deg C I have worn it with a sleeveless under vest

Description
The jersey is a slim cut using good quality light fabric with ventilation panels down each side below the armpit. It has three normal size pockets at the rear and elasticized grippers on the bottom. It has a full length zip at the front
The fabric is fine and what I would describe as summer weight polyester. It appears to be of good quality.

Sizing
The sizes as described are Chinese size which are one size smaller than what I would normally wear. My jersey is a Large but the tag describes it as CHN L/US M. I normally wear a Champ Sys size M Club Cut which suits my less athletic shape. While similar size across the bust the Monton Jersey is tighter across the waist and hip and probably similar to a Champ Sys race cut.

The jersey comes up virtually identical with the published measurement chart as follows:

Measurement Chart Actual
Bust 100 100
Waist 80 79
Back Length 66 67
Front Length 58 57

My sizing stats:
Height 168
Bust 100
Waist 84
Hip 94
Weight 71kg

Wear Experience

I have worn the jersey on five occasions each time in cool temperatures with a sleeveless under vest and found it to be comfortable to wear.
The cut is slimmer than what I am used to but the fabric is stretchy and therefore comfortable to wear.
Sleeves are similar in length and width to what I am used to but the fabric being lighter there is a tendency to ride up a little although this is not a major problem.
I have not had a chance to experience it in normal summer conditions but will revisit this review later in the year.
Again with only little use I am not able to judge its lasting ability in normal riding conditions.

Washing

I have washed the jersey six times and it has come up like new each time. I normally machine wash on normal cycle sometimes with riding gear only and others with other dark clothes and spun before line drying in the shade. The jersey was prewashed on its own before being worn.

Cost
Purchased at the special sponsorship price of $29 including postage it is of great value. At what I believe is the normal selling price of $59 it is still very good value.

Positives
• Good quality jersey at a very competitive price
• Size virtually identical to measurement chart
• Light mesh ventilation panels should be cooling in hot weather
• Full length zip
• Fabric although light appears to be of good quality

Negatives
• Sizing to CHN size can be confusing although the measurement chart provided is accurate if you ignore weight/height.
• The mesh side panels are very fine and I have some doubt of the long-wearing ability. This of course cannot be determined for some time
• The zip although good quality, is not of the standard of the Champ Sys jerseys, I normally wear.

Recommendation

I recommend this as a good quality jersey at a very cost competitive price

OVERALL SCORES
Out of 5

Quality 4
Performance 4
Value for money 5 based on what I believe is the normal selling price of $59.
Last edited by grt046 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Info / announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users