New Forum Design

m@

Re: New Forum Design

Postby m@ » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:
m@ wrote:For people wanting a dark colour scheme for night-time reading, check the invert colours mode in your accessibility settings. You can also set up an 'accessibility shortcut' (triple-tap home button on iOS, more convoluted in Android) to toggle quickly.
For those using a desktop computer do you know if there any options available that can be limited only to this forum to help with the contrast etc? In the past there was different skins which often addressed that issue but that option appears to be gone now.

Thanks
Depending on operating system and browser there are a few options - Windows includes several high-contrast schemes and in OSX you can select 'Invert colors' and 'Use grayscale' under System Preferences > Accessibility > Display.

This is system-wide, but most browsers also have extensions that change the colours of webpages; ultimately the most customisable option is to write a custom stylesheet for the specific site, but that's obviously more work.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:11 pm

m@ wrote: Depending on operating system and browser there are a few options - Windows includes several high-contrast schemes and in OSX you can select 'Invert colors' and 'Use grayscale' under System Preferences > Accessibility > Display.

This is system-wide, but most browsers also have extensions that change the colours of webpages; ultimately the most customisable option is to write a custom stylesheet for the specific site, but that's obviously more work.
Thanks. I did play around with the contrast settings in OSX and that helped a little. My screen is calibrated for photography so I am a little wary of playing with it too much but the contrast changes did help.

I am using Chrome which does not appear to have browser specific options.

Thanks.
Andrew

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:21 pm

This Chrome extension Change Colours may be useful Andrew.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Boognoss wrote:This Chrome extension Change Colours may be useful Andrew.
Thanks. I will give it a try.
Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:51 pm

Glad you spotted the wrench with the options (including Mark as Read).

On the colours - I would love to get some specifics as I can massage the colours a little. Since launch I have done a bit - most notable is the display text is a solid black. Other minor ones are tweaking other colours / display.

For example, the white background is something that could be lightened marginally which would take of the glare. It would mean that the outside grey would be slightly darkened to compensate. Have a think about what is working and what is not working and I can then continue to work towards more appealing look and feel.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:58 am

I may have missed something, but where are the News/Reviews ?

They used to be a link at the top of the forums page ?

BTW, looks great !! :D :D

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:I may have missed something, but where are the News/Reviews ?

They used to be a link at the top of the forums page ?

BTW, looks great !! :D :D
Yes, I`d noticed that there`s no News/Reviews at the top.

And there`s something wrong on the right about BNA News/Reviews or was it my PC playing up.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:00 pm

at risk of this already being mentioned and my laziness of reading all 5 pages of posts,

has anyone else noticed that the "forum tools" button only works from the home page???

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:20 pm

koshari wrote:at risk of this already being mentioned and my laziness of reading all 5 pages of posts,

has anyone else noticed that the "forum tools" button only works from the home page???
"Forum tools" button works on any topics on my PC. Don`t know if there`s problem on mobile phone.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:53 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
koshari wrote:at risk of this already being mentioned and my laziness of reading all 5 pages of posts,

"Forum tools" button works on any topics on my PC. Don`t know if there`s problem on mobile phone.
not here from any of the forum tools sub pages,
using desktop with FF v45. see screencast uploaded to youtube.
https://youtu.be/sIOfScnP5fM

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:29 am

I haven't been on for a bit, as I more regularly used Tapatalk on the Android device - which is no longer any good here.

In all honesty, the new format is a lot harder to view in my humble opinion - the layout doesn't lend itself too readily to my eyes and I am having a fair bit of trouble discerning posts where quotes / multiple quotes from other posters are all reproduced.

It's a shame, but I fear I'll be less regular on here from now on.... :(

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:19 pm

With this font the 'tilda' doesn't show up at properly. At the default resolution and zoom on my monitor it appears as a dash. (I've never seen this behaviour before in any program or software.)

See: " ~ ~ ~ "

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:53 am

Thank you for the reports / issues. A mixture between work and being crook has delayed me.

Some 'clean up' meant that the News and Reviews and background header image was temporarily lost and these have now been reinstated. Thank you for spotting these.

koshari - thank you for the video - there is a known issue with accessing the sub-menus inside certain pages - and I have put in a bug-fix request for this.

I can see the tilde, it is subtle but can review the option for typography.
Cycling is in my BNA

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Went looking for the multi quote option last night but couldn't find it, so ended up with two posts in the same thread within minutes of each other.

Multi quote available in the new format? If so where?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Never know that feature existed, I would use the full-editor for a reply and manually select and create the quotes with BBcode

However, the way you do it is in the full editor. One step back however, you may want to initiate a new post by using the quote function so have the first quote done.

Then for more quotes, underneath the post (reply) box, the previous posts are displayed and you can then select text and click the quote button, and that section will be inserted into your reply. Hope that makes sense... in any case it works and will make it easier for me in future as well.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:50 am

What's the little green marker on the lefthand corner with the lightning symbol, shows on posts of some members only? Are we marked for the electric chair or something?

bane

Postby bane » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:03 pm

I suspect its new members - like me!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:17 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:What's the little green marker on the lefthand corner with the lightning symbol, shows on posts of some members only? Are we marked for the electric chair or something?
I think it means you're logged into the forum right now and so are those other members marked so.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:04 pm

Kalgrm wrote:I think it means you're logged into the forum right now and so are those other members marked so.
Correct - an indication that a member is currently active in the forum.

if you prefer that this icon / alert is not shown to others, when you log in there is an option to keep it hidden - which means that this basic information is not shown to others.

The value of the alert - though the forum isn't a live chat, if you are having a conversation in a thread it provides an indication of others who are currently reading / engaged.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:13 pm

@AUbicycles - When you've had a moment to relax, would it be possible to permit two URLs in a signature? I'd like to put Vimeo and Instagram if possible?

BTW I'm liking the new website, a touch bright on my IMac, great colour scheme on mobile and iPad. I won't mention what I'm still missing... With the colour scheme, can you set a different background colour based on whether the connecting device is mobile/tablet to computer? I assume it detects the device type on connection?
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Isn't more than one url possible already, as long as you're under the character limit.

I've got 3 png images in my signature.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:43 am

The signatures have a character limit - at one stage there was a trend towards big annoying signatures. If you use a URL shortener such as bit.ly, you may be able to get some in there.

Regarding the colours - if you can make some specific suggestions. I am keen to define exactly the areas on the page which need to be addressed - for example, the white background behind the posts - or the outside grey area. If you make some suggestions of colours/changes you would like to see it will provide me with direction.

Certainly possible to make alterations on different screen sizes - a good option.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:13 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Never know that feature existed, I would use the full-editor for a reply and manually select and create the quotes with BBcode

However, the way you do it is in the full editor. One step back however, you may want to initiate a new post by using the quote function so have the first quote done.

Then for more quotes, underneath the post (reply) box, the previous posts are displayed and you can then select text and click the quote button, and that section will be inserted into your reply. Hope that makes sense... in any case it works and will make it easier for me in future as well.

Christopher
The way I know multi quote from other forums is while reading a thread, you can click to select all the posts you want to quote and then select to reply and they are all quoted in your post. Is this what we are talking about? Not many forums have this but it is handy.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Just some feedback on things I have stumbled-upon.

I am unable to delete PMs En masse

I have (2) in my Notifications menu/tab item, but clicking it takes me to my PM inbox which are all read. No way to remove the (2) notifications...
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:57 pm

Hey, I just noticed, but haven't searched to see if this is already known, on my browser (Firefox on OSX). If I'm viewing a PM, clicking on the notification icon yeilds no result. Anywhere else through the site it works.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram