New Forum Design

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Forum Design

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:05 pm

DaveQB wrote:The way I know multi quote from other forums is while reading a thread
Will likely not be able to duplicated other forums - this one is built on a specific software called phpbb and there are others but this one is pretty good. Deep level customisations become difficult, not only because of time and cost, but also for each software upgrade it significantly increases the time required.

PiratePete wrote:If I'm viewing a PM, clicking on the notification icon yeilds no result
If you mean in the top blue menu, this is a known issue and I am seeking a fix on that.
DaveQB wrote:I am unable to delete PMs En masse
On the right side of each PM is a checkbox. Check the relevant ones and then scroll to the bottom. There is a pulldown menu which says by default Mark/Unmark as important. In the menu select Delete marked and this will work.
DaveQB wrote:I have (2) in my Notifications menu/tab item, but clicking it takes me to my PM inbox which are all read. No way to remove the (2) notifications...
This means that your mailbox is full. There is a limit to avoid the PMs becoming a mass storage of years of private messages.

At the top there should be a not - "release all PMs on hold" or something similar. It only works when you have enough free space, so first empty unnecessary PMs and then click that link. This will load the new PMs.

You will find more info on a heap of topics on using the forum in the FAQs here.'

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Access to the blue menu bar with Forum Tools, My Private Messages, My Notifications and My Account has been fixed.

While inside the User Control Panel, or other pages without a sidebar, the items didn't work correctly - the drop down didn't open.

I have located the issue and created a fix, so this should be good now. I will leave it as a To Check item in my task list, so would love a confirmation from others that it is working as it should.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:51 am

AUbicycles wrote: Will likely not be able to duplicated other forums - this one is built on a specific software called phpbb
I once managed a phpbb forum. I converted it to fudforum when phpbb fell far behind in updates and their explanations and apologises dragged on. Hey they're doing it as a labour of love, so can't complain, I just moved on. This was circa 2006 maybe. Forum's still running to this day.
AUbicycles wrote:
DaveQB wrote:I am unable to delete PMs En masse
On the right side of each PM is a checkbox. Check the relevant ones and then scroll to the bottom. There is a pulldown menu which says by default Mark/Unmark as important. In the menu select Delete marked and this will work.
No I realise how to delete all. This is what I'm saying doesn't work for me.
AUbicycles wrote:
DaveQB wrote:I have (2) in my Notifications menu/tab item, but clicking it takes me to my PM inbox which are all read. No way to remove the (2) notifications...
This means that your mailbox is full. There is a limit to avoid the PMs becoming a mass storage of years of private messages.
No. Only 52% full.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:17 am

DaveQB... let me get these two things on my list.

From time to time I have looked at phpbb alternatives though any other forum will have the good and bad. With this software, extensions and mods can be an issue when it comes to updates so I try to minimise the number of them.

From time to time a super star developer puts their hand up and provides great little solutions, so I am open to the capabilities which can improve the forum and usability.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Excuse the short glitches, was looking into the hyperlinks.
Cycling is in my BNA

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:38 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Access to the blue menu bar with Forum Tools, My Private Messages, My Notifications and My Account has been fixed. would love a confirmation from others that it is working as it should.
Christopher
The bar previously wasn't working for me when using my old bookmark for the New Posts page. Today it did work. I expect this is due to your fix. Much appreciated.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:11 pm

A minor annoyance for me is when reading on a mobile phone, there is no crumb trail back to the forum group. If I view a single page thread then I can hit the back button but if I either page through many pages of a thread or reply to a thread, then the forum group is then many pages back in my history. So I end up clicking the home button and then going back into the forum again.

So I'd like to see the full crumb trail in the mobile view if possible.

Keep up the good work improving the design.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:03 am

The bread crumbs should be there - I removed them as there were complains about too much space being used, but I found that you lost some navigation so reinstated it.

Can you check again because my tests show that it certain is there. If your phone / tablet browser has cached the site, it may require a refresh.
Cycling is in my BNA

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 am

AUbicycles wrote:Access to the blue menu bar with Forum Tools, My Private Messages, My Notifications and My Account has been fixed. would love a confirmation from others that it is working as it should.
Christopher
Working for me now too.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

tron07

Postby tron07 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Is there an option to change or go back to the previous skin or something? I dont like this new interface.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi tron07, there is not previously we were running two skins at the request of a few individuals. It however doubled the time required for every update so only a single 'theme' is possible.

As there was also a significant software update, it would have required constructing the old theme (which also doesn't work for devices) from scratch, so it was not an option.

Give it some time, I am looking into all requests for both fixes and also modifications to improve the look and feel.
Cycling is in my BNA

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 pm

iPhone 5 screen has some page numbers cut off, especially for the high page count threads.

I am actually viewing Pg323, but it's off the screen when vertical. It is visible when viewed horizontal though.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:27 pm

The pagination error is a known bug and I am still seeking a fix from the developer.
Cycling is in my BNA

tron07

Postby tron07 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:47 pm

Cheers.

Some php forums that I go to, users have the option to select theme/skins to suit at their control panel. Just wondering if this site have it. If no, then its fine, just have to learn to adjust to it.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:57 pm

AUbicycles wrote:DaveQB... let me get these two things on my list.

From time to time I have looked at phpbb alternatives though any other forum will have the good and bad. With this software, extensions and mods can be an issue when it comes to updates so I try to minimise the number of them.

From time to time a super star developer puts their hand up and provides great little solutions, so I am open to the capabilities which can improve the forum and usability.
Yes I understand. You need to use the tool that you can wield the best; it's a big investment.

richardh9935

Re: New Forum Design - Search not available unless logged on

Postby richardh9935 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Dear BNA,
:(
Before I registered and logged on, I tried searching your forums, but there was no search box. Nor do any of the menus work. This is true in both Chrome and Safari. I used your FAQ to check if Search was turned off, but the FAQ says I should see the Search box. It did NOT say Search was limited to those who were logged on.

Then I looked at the FAQ for advantages of registering, and saw that I'd be able to send messages, and that most useless of things, "ETC".

Having registered and logged on, I can now see the Search box, and all the menus work. However, you've lost customer good-will because of all the previous fussing around and misdirection.

Please could you add a Sticky Note in this category that tells people they MUST register and log on before the menus will work and they will see the Search box?

richard.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi Richard, thanks for the comments.

I wonder why "Forum Tools" is visible for non-members, it certainly doesn't make sense and I will look into it.

For the search option - unfortunately the nature of the internet is that the search is hijacked by bad bots and scrapers and takes this community site offline because of the massive load. Well done for looking into the FAQs, I will make an amendment to this shortly. That said, it isn't reported as a big issue and I will share a tip with you that works on any website in the google index.

Code: Select all

site:bicycles.net.au/forums +awesome +bikes
When you use site: and the URL - it limits the search to the search terms from that particular website.
The + means that the search terms MUST be found.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Duck! wrote:
AUbicycles wrote: For the smart phone login - I will look into the advertising. This has been one of the most tricky parts and is not yet optimal. I logged in without any problems on the smart phone- if you provide details about the errors, I can look into it.
I'm using Samsung Galaxy Mini - can't recall its exact model number. What I experienced was after hitting the Menu button I selecting login, the login screen became non-functional. Attempting to tap the "Remember me" box might if lucky check the "Hide my status" box.... Scrolling to the Login button moved the partially off-screen panel totally off the page briefly before returning to its original position. Attempting to edit/re-enter user name or password or even tapping the panel anywhere just sent off to ads. I don't quite know how I managed to achieve a login; the first time I got in it just happened, the second time I manged to find an alternate login link at the bottom of the page which worked a lot better. Being able to check the "remember me" box on that attempt has so far meant I no longer have to go through that ordeal again.
Mobile login is still borked. Something did a whoops & cancelled the "remember me each time" auto-login which I managed to fluke working last time, so it's back to square one. Login page is now totally and utterly unresponsive.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu May 05, 2016 11:37 pm

Duck! wrote: Mobile login is still borked. Something did a whoops & cancelled the "remember me each time" auto-login which I managed to fluke working last time, so it's back to square one. Login page is now totally and utterly unresponsive.
Oh this needs to be resolved. We need duck! on these forums.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri May 06, 2016 1:09 am

Don't worry Dave, I can still get on via desktop, that works fine! :-)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 06, 2016 2:30 pm

I can't duplicate this - on the iphone am getting on with the mobile login. Are you able to get any screenshots when this happens.

Seriously want get the access for you fixed Duck! - I am sure many others who have had your support will agree.
Cycling is in my BNA

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri May 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Duck! wrote:Don't worry Dave, I can still get on via desktop, that works fine! :-)
Phewwww

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 09, 2016 8:42 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I can't duplicate this - on the iphone am getting on with the mobile login. Are you able to get any screenshots when this happens.

Seriously want get the access for you fixed Duck! - I am sure many others who have had your support will agree.
Not too sure what a screenshot would achieve - never mind that I'm not that sort of tech-savvy to work out how to make it work. :oops: Basically once I select Login from the menu, it goes to that page and becomes completely unresponsive - does not check the "remember me" or "hide me" boxes or allow any change to the memorised user name & password. It has to be an error with the new forum platform, because it's the only one I have this problem on, and never had it with the old one.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Got it. I have reported this but the developer is not particularly responsive - so have a list of things still waiting.

I wonder of it you have the option to clear the cache / cookies for your smart phone.
Cycling is in my BNA

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat May 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Pete, you can use the profile website URL to utilise an extra URL you currently aren't making use of. It will show a little Earth globe next to the PM icon under your avatar details. e.g. see mine links to my blog ;)
edit: AARGH!!! My wordliness has been robbed! I don't have a website icon under my avatar. It's still a text link if you click the profile name though... but undermines my advice to Pete :oops:

@AUbicycles can we plug in the BBCode Instagram button next to googlemap (alphabetic order it seems). When I search for it, I see there's only a handful of people who use their desktop browser inspection tools to pull the image source and embed the direct JPG URL with IMG bbcode tags. Most of the recent search results for instagram are from me ;P but I'm sure if it was there, it enables address line copy/paste like an IMG bbcode tag that you could do from a mobile phone, like so:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFV5dnOtklV/
PiratePete wrote:@AUbicycles - When you've had a moment to relax, would it be possible to permit two URLs in a signature? I'd like to put Vimeo and Instagram if possible?

BTW I'm liking the new website, a touch bright on my IMac, great colour scheme on mobile and iPad. I won't mention what I'm still missing... With the colour scheme, can you set a different background colour based on whether the connecting device is mobile/tablet to computer? I assume it detects the device type on connection?