New Forum Design

Grgic

Re: New Forum Design

Postby Grgic » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:33 am

When in my inbox, the dropdowns no longer work for Forum Tools, My Notifications, My Account:

Also after having selected view unread posts, I can then not mark all as read as again the dropdown does not work.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:47 am

Is there any way with the new forum design to be able to edit old posts?
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks Grgic - I have noticed that as well and is a bug that I will look into.

Regarding old posts - this is a setting and editing is available for 24 hours. The reason for this is to retain the integrity / context of a post but also to stop members deleting / editing large quantities of posts and ruining threads.

For the marketplace - a wish list item was to improve the functionality though a solution was not found / implemented however is something that can be addressed after the fine-tuning of this forum.
Cycling is in my BNA

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:20 am

AUbicycles wrote:Thanks Grgic - I have noticed that as well and is a bug that I will look into.

Regarding old posts - this is a setting and editing is available for 24 hours. The reason for this is to retain the integrity / context of a post but also to stop members deleting / editing large quantities of posts and ruining threads.

For the marketplace - a wish list item was to improve the functionality though a solution was not found / implemented however is something that can be addressed after the fine-tuning of this forum.
I'd still be interested in being able to edit this thread if possible.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=81615

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:22 am

AUbicycles wrote:
A clearer, easier to read and modern layout means we now depart from a dated forum design.
The contrast between background and the text needs to be greater.

The <h3> with the id=review (topic review), the expand view text on the right is almost blending in with the background. Not enough contrast. Have you checked the design against WCAG 2.0?

I noticed on iPhone yesterday also that the buttons for the WYSIWYG editor, they appeared as rounded button shapes, with the text cut off at the bottom of each button.

Also, the banner across the top of the forum took up too much screen area on iPhone - it should be more compact to give more room for the rest of the content.

The font is difficult to read as well. The buttons elsewhere (eg, save draft, preview, submit) well could be more obviously buttons, they have very faint outlines and almost blend with the background.

Also noticed the same with the buttons for edit post, delete post, report, quote, those are very, very faint and close to the colour of the background. I think they need more contrast against the background. If the outlines for the icons/borders were the same as the highlight colour, that would probably work okay.

The + options blue box didn't seem to do anything in Firefox for me, the posting options was already expanded by default.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:41 am

il padrone wrote:And the topic lists from the bottom of each page have gone.

Is this the topic-list you were referring to il padrone?

Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:42 am

BenGr wrote:Having the next page buttons bellow the quick reply is annoying.
This has been changed - pagination and options are now located ABOVE the quick reply.
Cycling is in my BNA

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:54 am

Nice response time on ironing out a few of the issues! :)

Is there any way we can reduce the space issue. For example in the CS&A forum I need to scroll down TWO pages before I get to see any active threads. Surely we should have it so no scrolling is necessary to get to active content.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:07 pm

There is now a Mark as Read button at the top in each sub-forum. Should be similar to the one added in the old BNA forums.

Does this solve this now? (Please test it!).
Cycling is in my BNA

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:18 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
BenGr wrote:Having the next page buttons bellow the quick reply is annoying.
This has been changed - pagination and options are now located ABOVE the quick reply.
Nice, much better.

BTW is the notification on being quoted new? Handy!

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Aushiker wrote: Having the "mark forums read" hidden in a box at the bottom page is frustrating; form over function?
I second this - if there are two new topics in a forum, I still have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to mark that forum as read? :(
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:32 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
il padrone wrote:And the topic lists from the bottom of each page have gone.

Is this the topic-list you were referring to il padrone?

Ah, yes, just discovered that it can be gained in a different manner. All good.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:36 pm

nezumi wrote:
Aushiker wrote: Having the "mark forums read" hidden in a box at the bottom page is frustrating; form over function?
I second this - if there are two new topics in a forum, I still have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to mark that forum as read? :(
Read four posts above.
Cycling is in my BNA

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:11 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
nezumi wrote:
Read four posts above.
Must have replied between me loading the final page of the thread and drafting my reply - cheers!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:51 pm

AUbicycles wrote: For the smart phone login - I will look into the advertising. This has been one of the most tricky parts and is not yet optimal. I logged in without any problems on the smart phone- if you provide details about the errors, I can look into it.
I'm using Samsung Galaxy Mini - can't recall its exact model number. What I experienced was after hitting the Menu button I selecting login, the login screen became non-functional. Attempting to tap the "Remember me" box might if lucky check the "Hide my status" box.... Scrolling to the Login button moved the partially off-screen panel totally off the page briefly before returning to its original position. Attempting to edit/re-enter user name or password or even tapping the panel anywhere just sent off to ads. I don't quite know how I managed to achieve a login; the first time I got in it just happened, the second time I manged to find an alternate login link at the bottom of the page which worked a lot better. Being able to check the "remember me" box on that attempt has so far meant I no longer have to go through that ordeal again.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Boognoss wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Cmon guys its not that bad a start. A few tweeks and it will be fine. If you want bad try going from Outlook 2013 to Office365 :-)
Just have at work :( (and it was worse because it was Office 2010 to O365.....)
Same here. Hate it. Wish these damn kids would get off my lawn too *yells at cloud*

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:51 pm

For the mobile device login - this will be tackled with an alternative solution for advertising.

Advertising is important, however it is also intended to be well integrated and certainly not annoying or a burden.

Hope the gradual updates / improvements are welcome - there is more to come.
Cycling is in my BNA

Daus

Postby Daus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:05 pm

I like it, samsung galaxy tab 4 with firefox- just Uninstalled tapatalk- yes!!!!!!!!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:51 pm

AUbicycles wrote:There is now a Mark as Read button at the top in each sub-forum. Should be similar to the one added in the old BNA forums.

Does this solve this now? (Please test it!).
Tested, it just F5'd the page :?
FF 45.0.1 on Win7 Ultimate
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:14 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Tapatalk Sucks
It started off well but there were so many ongoing problems that it is better to drop tapatalk.
Hi Chris, I assume that explains the reason why I cannot log in via Tapatalk? If so this is a real shame, sure Tapatalk has become more of a pain of late (from an administration view point), however it is my main method of accessing forums in general. For BNA it provides an easy method of hosting images and it arranges the forum nicely for me with the 'particpated' option. I moderate another forum using Tapatalk and find it quite convenient.

Are you willing to return to supporting this app?

I more than many have an understanding of the hours which administering a beast like this forum can absorb, thank you for your continuing efforts to put such a wonderful resource together, and keeping the lights on.

Cheers, Pete
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:35 pm

rodneycc wrote:Cmon guys its not that bad a start. A few tweeks and it will be fine. If you want bad try going from Outlook 2013 to Office365 :-)
You are joking, seriously? I think it's Outlook 2010 at work and it is woefully slow. How can an email programme be so slow, emails are not exactly large files. Could they possibly make it worse, don't tell me it's true. What I really hate about MS programmes is the way they think they know what you want, do they ever get it right? Using Visio today and finding there are certain boxes I can't resize no matter what I do.

As for the new forum design, hmm, not crazy about it. Does look a lot more like recent web designs which isn't surprising but I am not crazy about blank spaces on either side of my screen. I'll reserve judgement until I get used to it. I will say it seems to load faster.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:45 pm

A thought on the post icons that change colour to show activity/new posts and the little triangle to click to access the first unread post in the thread.

Could these not be combined so that tapping on the yellow icon takes the viewer to the first unread post

The icon would be much easier to tap on my iPhone 6s than the triangle which is too small
NOT sent from tapatalk

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Small glitch just noted iPhone 6s. When I tap on the "jump to" drop down or spanner drop down at the bottom of pages (above reply box) I can't get rid of them by tapping away from them

In the jump to menu could it include the forum tools like new posts or my posts or subscribed posts?

The forum tools menu is a very very long way from the end of a thread hiding all the way up at the top of the page.

Worth noting that us mobile tapatalk users (well me any way) are very much used to

Timeline

Participated

Subscribed

New posts and my posts replace timeline and participated but there isn't an easy search for subscribed is there?
NOT sent from tapatalk

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:54 pm

DavidS wrote:
You are joking, seriously? I think it's Outlook 2010 at work and it is woefully slow. How can an email programme be so slow, emails are not exactly large files. Could they possibly make it worse, don't tell me it's true. What I really hate about MS programmes is the way they think they know what you want, do they ever get it right? Using Visio today and finding there are certain boxes I can't resize no matter what I do.

As for the new forum design, hmm, not crazy about it. Does look a lot more like recent web designs which isn't surprising but I am not crazy about blank spaces on either side of my screen. I'll reserve judgement until I get used to it. I will say it seems to load faster.

DS
Think you might be getting speed ( which is basically resources, server/memory size, network speed etc) mixed up with functionality. Outlook 2010 and 2013's functionality is pretty good (and thats coming from a sendmail unix guy who hates microshaft (sorry soft)). But going to Office365 and trying to sync everything is terrible. It might be all ok when everyone is over and we iron out the bugs but the two products really don't integrate together well. The only better bit is the contact sharing that I can see.
Last edited by rodneycc on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:06 pm

rodneycc wrote:
DavidS wrote:

DS
Think you might be getting speed ( which is basically resources, server/memory size etc) mixed up with functionality. Outlook 2010 and 2013's functionality is pretty good (and thats coming from a sendmail unix guy who hates microshaft (sorry soft)). But going to Office365 and trying to sync everything is terrible. It might be all ok when everyone is over and we iron out the bugs but the two products really don't integrate together well. The only better bit is the contact sharing that I can see.
I understand what you're saying and the servers at my work are overstretched. But I am increasingly convinced that network speed has got to the point where we need to be looking not just at the server/resources/memory side of the equation, but also at the "how much crap are my programmes throwing at the server" side of the equation. I can see a major upgrade lasting 12 months (if we're lucky) before the traffic again overwhelms the network, and MS Outlook really does seem to throw a lot of crap around for a programme dealing mainly in teensy weensy email files.

Sorry to go off topic but I think network traffic is a hell of an issue, not just at workplaces but online, and this does affect places like this forum.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)