New Forum Design

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2711
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: New Forum Design

Postby rodneycc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:22 pm

I probably should point out its MS Exchange (server end that does most of the work) not Outlook ( which is just the client/PC end that is most likely the issue. I often say Outlook when I really mean Exchange. Could be anything though, like a network switch bottleneck etc etc.
Anyway back to normal programming...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby PiratePete » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:46 am

ianganderton wrote:Worth noting that us mobile tapatalk users (well me any way) are very much used to

Timeline

Participated

Subscribed

New posts and my posts replace timeline and participated but there isn't an easy search for subscribed is there?


Not to mention push notifications particularly for subscribed and quotes, but also for PM.

Found a bug trying to navigate via Safari on my iPhone 5s, long running topics like 'Video camera who uses one' have page numbers that run off the RHS of the screen in portrait mode. I'd post a screen shot to explain but Tapatalk hosts my images...

Looking on Tapatalk, 6778 users subscribed to BNA, not sure how many are active users but it's not a small number for dropping support.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
queequeg
Posts: 4811
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: New Forum Design

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:20 pm

The new forum design looks ok to me, but I probably did most of my access via Tapatalk...in the order of 95%, particularly for the Image Hosting.

Sadly, no more Tapatalk means no more images because it is too much of a pain to upload images to somewhere else, then try and get the link and insert that, all while on the iPhone/iPad.

Will see how I go with the new design.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

User avatar
QuangVuong
Posts: 1753
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:04 pm
Location: Villawood, Sydney
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:21 pm

queequeg wrote:The new forum design looks ok to me, but I probably did most of my access via Tapatalk...in the order of 95%, particularly for the Image Hosting.

Sadly, no more Tapatalk means no more images because it is too much of a pain to upload images to somewhere else, then try and get the link and insert that, all while on the iPhone/iPad.

As I still have Tapatalk installed, I just use it to reply to some random thread on a different forum to upload images. Then I copy the links over to the BNA site. A little bit more of work than before, but way easier than any other image hosting method.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12527
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:44 pm

On tapatalk - it became increasingly problematic technically as well as decreasing technical support and their approach to inject their own code and advertising.

Not to forget, tapatalk is a 3rd party solution for forums that don't cater for mobile devices - and with this update, this has been setup for access on devices.

For image hosting - this is planned and will be possible when we move to a new host which has more reasonable costs - and once the technology is worked out.

User avatar
QuangVuong
Posts: 1753
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:04 pm
Location: Villawood, Sydney
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:51 pm

Issue using the Forum Tools drop down. If I choose any of the options, the chosen page will open up. However, I am unable to click on Forum Tools nor My Notifications nor My Account. Same issue if I am in Private Messages. I am unable to click on Forum Tools nor My Account.

Also, is there any chance PM inboxes can be increased in size?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby PiratePete » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:36 am

AUbicycles wrote:On tapatalk - it became increasingly problematic technically as well as decreasing technical support and their approach to inject their own code and advertising.

Not to forget, tapatalk is a 3rd party solution for forums that don't cater for mobile devices - and with this update, this has been setup for access on devices.

For image hosting - this is planned and will be possible when we move to a new host which has more reasonable costs - and once the technology is worked out.


Thanks for the update Christopher, the features of Tapatalk far exceed using a mobile web browser to access the forum. Push notifications, subscribed, and participated drills me right into the areas of interest without me navigating around or refreshing pages and looking for updates.

I've already noticed that I'm checking the forum less for updates, this does nothing for the site's advertising revenue.

For me this is a disappointing move for what is otherwise a brilliant source of knowledge. Being such a beast of a site via mobile browser I know I'll miss much of the content now.

BTW, I'm a paid Tapatalk customer so I don't have ads injected into my Tapatalk feed from them.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 5987
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: New Forum Design

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:06 am

To throw a different perspective into the mix, I used to love tapatalk, have had it as a paid customer since the early days. I gave up on it some time ago because it just wasn't working for me & the only thing I missed was easy image uploading.

For me, while the new mobile capability still has a couple of tweaks needed to be ideal its a breath of fresh air. I have found myself on the forums on my phone more than I was previously.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12527
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:53 am

Grgic wrote:I'd still be interested in being able to edit this thread if possible.


Understood - I have put this to the task list as an 'on hold' item as others need to be solved first. As a short term solution, if you PM me the new / updated version (best is an entire replacement content) with a link to the thread - then I can make this change manually for now.

g-boaf wrote:The <h3> with the id=review (topic review), the expand view text on the right is almost blending in with the background.


Can you provide a screenshot (can also email - info@bicycles.net.au)
The colour for the text has been darkened.
For the button colours, this is on my to do list.


ianganderton wrote:A thought on the post icons that change colour to show activity/new posts and the little triangle to click to access the first unread post in the thread.

Could these not be combined so that tapping on the yellow icon takes the viewer to the first unread post


Yes - it would be good to get some more votes for this. Would be a second priority to ensure the more important things are completed first - also need to review the change to ensure that this doesn't become a hurdle for subsequent upgrades.


ianganderton wrote:Small glitch just noted iPhone 6s. When I tap on the "jump to" drop down or spanner drop down at the bottom of pages (above reply box) I can't get rid of them by tapping away from them


Thanks


ianganderton wrote:In the jump to menu could it include the forum tools like new posts or my posts or subscribed posts?


In theory yes, but in practice it cramps the menu as it already has a lot of other content. Not convinced that the tools have a place at the bottom of each thread.

QuangVuong wrote:Issue using the Forum Tools drop down


I have this listed as a bug

PiratePete wrote:I'm checking the forum less for updates


When you are in the forum viewing onthe desktop there are 'numbers' above private message and notification to highlight new content from followed threads - a nice addition. Not visible on the mobile view.

There are pros and cons with tapatalk - as a paid user you may be an exception. I would hate that every view on a tablet or smart device gets a popup that a tapatalk version is available - this annoys me to bits. On the advertising, if tapatalk are cashing in a paid user or are cashing in advertising dollars when ads are shown, nothing goes to BNA.

Your tech savvy, I know you will be letting me know in a few months how awesome it is once you embraced the change.



Christopher

User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby Boognoss » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Consider this my +1 vote :)

AUbicycles wrote:
ianganderton wrote:A thought on the post icons that change colour to show activity/new posts and the little triangle to click to access the first unread post in the thread.

Could these not be combined so that tapping on the yellow icon takes the viewer to the first unread post


Yes - it would be good to get some more votes for this. Would be a second priority to ensure the more important things are completed first - also need to review the change to ensure that this doesn't become a hurdle for subsequent upgrades.

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12527
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:19 pm

rodneycc wrote:Oh just found I can't see the Last Post field on the mobile under New Posts. Its there on the PC but not the mobile


Can you send a screenshot or provide a detailed description (where to find on the desktop) so I can review and check. Not yet sure exactly what is meant.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12527
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:19 pm

An update for mobile devices - Advertising AND Breadcrumbs are removed for smaller screens. This will eliminate the long scroll.

It is a temporary solution to make smart phone users happy. I will however look at adding a smaller banner type which takes up less space.

human909
Posts: 8268
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: New Forum Design

Postby human909 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Another brief feedback item:

The google map button in posts is great! :D Is that a new addition?

Problem is that I can't get it to work. Maybe it is just me though.

(see attached map below)

(see attached map above)

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2711
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: New Forum Design

Postby rodneycc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:07 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Oh just found I can't see the Last Post field on the mobile under New Posts. Its there on the PC but not the mobile


Can you send a screenshot or provide a detailed description (where to find on the desktop) so I can review and check. Not yet sure exactly what is meant.

Fyi
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vye56o78sugwik/Screenshot_2016-04-08-15-50-45.png?dl=0

If you have a look at the screen shot the replies, views and last post fields have been cut off for the screen to fit. I was just wondering if the last post field with the by user and timestamp of last post could be added under the thread created by/datetime etc, as I find the date of the last post more meaningful than the date of the thread creation.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12527
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:07 pm

Google map bbcode doesn't seem to work, google may be blocking it.

I will need to look into this.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12527
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:11 pm

RodneyCC, now I get it, the Views, Replies and Last Post columns. This is automatic (so not setup to disappear) however is also logical that for the smaller screens, you need to lose some information to ensure that it doesn't take up too much space. At the moment there is concern on the amount of unnecessary space and for me, this information is nice, but secondary.

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby PiratePete » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:18 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
PiratePete wrote:I'm checking the forum less for updates


When you are in the forum viewing onthe desktop there are 'numbers' above private message and notification to highlight new content from followed threads - a nice addition. Not visible on the mobile view.

There are pros and cons with tapatalk - as a paid user you may be an exception. I would hate that every view on a tablet or smart device gets a popup that a tapatalk version is available - this annoys me to bits. On the advertising, if tapatalk are cashing in a paid user or are cashing in advertising dollars when ads are shown, nothing goes to BNA.

Your tech savvy, I know you will be letting me know in a few months how awesome it is once you embraced the change.



Christopher


Thanks Christoper, The only complaint I have with the new version is the colour scheme, being too bright. Regarding embracing the change, setting up for email notifications for each of the topics I like to follow has been done to enable notification, however this leads to more clutter (emails) and less convenience compared to a push notification and a number with a red dot on the Tapatalk Icon. Tapatalk is still a key app on my phone as I use it to view and moderate the other forum I'm involved with for the same reasons, even though it too is optimised for mobile browsing. Although is may be a bit of a pain from the administration viewpoint, it is convenient to the users, and for basic moderation functions. I can't see me feeling that this change is 'awesome' from a mobile perspective.

I've said my bit, I'm sure that you will make your choices based of the feedback of the general population.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
Ferrovelo
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:07 am

Re: New Forum Design

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:20 pm

PiratePete wrote: the features of Tapatalk far exceed using a mobile web browser to access the forum. Push notifications, subscribed, and participated drills me right into the areas of interest without me navigating around or refreshing pages and looking for updates.

I've already noticed that I'm checking the forum less for updates, this does nothing for the site's advertising revenue.

For me this is a disappointing move


My thoughts and experience exactly.
Please?
http://ajsblogcycle.blogspot.com
(Username changed from amrjon)

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2711
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: New Forum Design

Postby rodneycc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:09 pm

AUbicycles wrote:RodneyCC, now I get it, the Views, Replies and Last Post columns. This is automatic (so not setup to disappear) however is also logical that for the smaller screens, you need to lose some information to ensure that it doesn't take up too much space. At the moment there is concern on the amount of unnecessary space and for me, this information is nice, but secondary.


Yes definitely put all your other fires out first. But if you can review it later and see if you can include the last post field or just the timestamp (i.e so a timeline can be established) or even a tiny bit of text saying how long ago the thread updated e.g 10 mins ago, 1hr ago, 1 day ago or whatever. It would make things easier to track and cut down on the amount if clicks required. Thanks.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

User avatar
m@
Posts: 4993
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby m@ » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Now that I've had a while to settle in, a couple of thought...
  • I really like the design. Not normally a fan of nodern "flat" designs as a rule, but this one works. Kudos to the designer! ;)
  • Losing tapatalk image hosting is a minor inconvenience, but it takes all of 20 seconds to open imgur in a new tab, upload and copy/paste the preformatted bbcode into the post. I'm sure with the imgur app it would be even quicker.
  • An advantage over Tapatalk is that you can open a bunch of threads in tabs, so can refer to other threads while posting a reply, open a few of interest at once etc. and close them knowing you have the recent posts or whatever page still open.
    Another nice feature is being able to use the browser's 'find in page' search.

For people wanting a dark colour scheme for night-time reading, check the invert colours mode in your accessibility settings. You can also set up an 'accessibility shortcut' (triple-tap home button on iOS, more convoluted in Android) to toggle quickly.
ALL THE ABOVEIS TRUE

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22010
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:30 pm

m@ wrote:For people wanting a dark colour scheme for night-time reading, check the invert colours mode in your accessibility settings. You can also set up an 'accessibility shortcut' (triple-tap home button on iOS, more convoluted in Android) to toggle quickly.


For those using a desktop computer do you know if there any options available that can be limited only to this forum to help with the contrast etc? In the past there was different skins which often addressed that issue but that option appears to be gone now.

Thanks
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby Boognoss » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:48 pm

Aushiker wrote:
m@ wrote:For people wanting a dark colour scheme for night-time reading, check the invert colours mode in your accessibility settings. You can also set up an 'accessibility shortcut' (triple-tap home button on iOS, more convoluted in Android) to toggle quickly.


For those using a desktop computer do you know if there any options available that can be limited only to this forum to help with the contrast etc? In the past there was different skins which often addressed that issue but that option appears to be gone now.

Thanks


Currently no as Christopher said elsewhere in this thread (too lazy to find it ;)) every different skin adds to the workload every time there's an update to the forum software (double for two, etc).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22010
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: New Forum Design

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
m@ wrote:For people wanting a dark colour scheme for night-time reading, check the invert colours mode in your accessibility settings. You can also set up an 'accessibility shortcut' (triple-tap home button on iOS, more convoluted in Android) to toggle quickly.


For those using a desktop computer do you know if there any options available that can be limited only to this forum to help with the contrast etc? In the past there was different skins which often addressed that issue but that option appears to be gone now.

Thanks


Currently no as Christopher said elsewhere in this thread (too lazy to find it ;)) every different skin adds to the workload every time there's an update to the forum software (double for two, etc).


Thanks for reply but I was not actually asking about skins, I was referring to possible desktop options similar to that referred to for mobiles.

Whilst I can invert the colours on my Mac it means for all websites etc which is not the best outcome as most forums etc are much more friendly at least from my perspective with my vision issues.

Anyway it was just a question in the oft chance that maybe someone may have known of an app or some such solution.

Cheers
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2711
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: New Forum Design

Postby rodneycc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:10 pm

rodneycc wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:RodneyCC, now I get it, the Views, Replies and Last Post columns. This is automatic (so not setup to disappear) however is also logical that for the smaller screens, you need to lose some information to ensure that it doesn't take up too much space. At the moment there is concern on the amount of unnecessary space and for me, this information is nice, but secondary.


Yes definitely put all your other fires out first. But if you can review it later and see if you can include the last post field or just the timestamp (i.e so a timeline can be established) or even a tiny bit of text saying how long ago the thread updated e.g 10 mins ago, 1hr ago, 1 day ago or whatever. It would make things easier to track and cut down on the amount if clicks required. Thanks.


So just a thought with this that has just come to mind if you are wanting to save on screen space is to replace the display in the New Posts section to be exactly the same same as in the normal subforum thread area such as buying a bike subtopic where the last post user and date section is displayed instead of the creation user and date. I think you want to differentiate between the New Posts area and the unread posts area which this will do more. (And I still can't figure out what defines a new post and how many get displayed )
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

nezumi
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Eltham, Melbourne

Re: New Forum Design

Postby nezumi » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:08 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:There is now a Mark as Read button at the top in each sub-forum. Should be similar to the one added in the old BNA forums.

Does this solve this now? (Please test it!).

Tested, it just F5'd the page :?
FF 45.0.1 on Win7 Ultimate


Working as of the latest update - wrench now appearing at the top of the thread on Chrome.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users