Tapatalk Retired - No Longer Available for this Cycling Forum

Dr_Mutley

Re: Tapatalk Retired - No Longer Available for this Cycling Forum

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:51 pm

Still no Tapatalk access? That's a shame.... I miss this forum a bit... the void which FB has filled it seems...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:21 am

I use the native responsive site a lot these days and added a few requested functions though there are differences of course, but it works fairly well if you are open to the update.

The problems with the intusive advertisements, regular updates (time investment) simply don't make tapatalk viable.
Cycling is in my BNA

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 am

:cry:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:28 pm

Has it hurt traffic? It appears to have.
Mobile devices are incredibly popular and tapatalk is far more user friendly :|
Dogs are the best people :wink:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:49 pm

warthog1 wrote:Has it hurt traffic? It appears to have.
Mobile devices are incredibly popular and tapatalk is far more user friendly :|
Certainly has for me, as nearly all my forum access was via the iOS Taptalk app. The web version is terrible for the iPhone, and I lost the most useful feature which is direct posting of images using Tapatlk Image Hosting.

Anyway, my forum usage would be about 98% down now that's Web Only, and I'd only be visiting the site on a weekly or fortnightly basis to "Catch Up" when I have some time at home on the desktop PC.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:06 pm

queequeg wrote:
Certainly has for me, as nearly all my forum access was via the iOS Taptalk app. The web version is terrible for the iPhone, and I lost the most useful feature which is direct posting of images using Tapatlk Image Hosting.

Anyway, my forum usage would be about 98% down now that's Web Only, and I'd only be visiting the site on a weekly or fortnightly basis to "Catch Up" when I have some time at home on the desktop PC.
I still visit fairly frequently but not as much. Tapatalk sound like demanding buggers but their product is user friendly.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:22 pm

warthog1 wrote:
queequeg wrote:

I still visit fairly frequently but not as much. Tapatalk sound like demanding buggers but their product is user friendly.
I visit when I can, but since the phone is so painful to use with the website, I restrict my viewing to the desktop at home.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:22 am

Change is hard - each time we have had an update it does catch some people out.

I got used to the mobile interface quite quickly and while it isn't perfect, it was close to the desktop format rather than being a completely different way to access.

On images, this is on my agenda and I am looking at an option for hosting images - though and still fighting with the technology. This will save a lot of the frustration uploading - but I have to work out the tricky technology first.

Appreciate the input and if tapatalk were playing fair (or playing fair again) then it would be a consideration.
Cycling is in my BNA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:14 pm

I have no concept of what it is like to run a forum so accept that tapatalk must be more trouble than it is worth as an administrator.
I spend a lot of time on the forum so appreciate the effort made to keep it up and running.
Removing tapatalk appears to have halved traffic though from my observation?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Stopping tapatalk may have halved mobile traffic - hence the importance of relaunching a mobile friendly version of the forum.

Key Issues with tapatalk:
- 3rd party software necessary for mobile content
- Any upgrades take double the work-time
- Tapatalk started inserting advertising - even though this was disabled
This is a big sore-point, not only because it renders any advertising that BNA tries to attract useless, but also because of what I take as a responsibility for a ethically managed site. When the third-party starts to take user-data and insert content which is not in-line with the values of the community and can't be managed (so many display even if disabled), then this is an issue.

On traffic, I knock back offers and opportunities which I feel are not in the in interest of the community - sometimes it means less traffic and certainly means far fewer advertiser. On the flip-side it means the advertising is more suitable (and relevant) and the integrity of the community can remain.

Best case scenario would be loads of advertisers which means the ability to pay for a the tech that does exactly what the members need :)
Cycling is in my BNA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:38 am

By traffic I mean less people are posting, the content seems markedly reduced post tapatalk removal.
Thanks for the explanation on the issues with using it. :)

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:00 pm

I am currently reading and posting to the forum using an iOS app called Newsify. It allows you to read the posts like a newspaper or in list form and does allow you to login and reply.

What it does not appear to do is choose individual topics easily. Although it can be done as I am demonstrating here. Not great but it is free and easier than using Safari.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

PA

Postby PA » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 pm

What version of phpBB is this site using?
Mouse magnet

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Pretty recent version. I think a major update (beta) is in the works - but this is a stable release.
Cycling is in my BNA