Tapatalk Retired - No Longer Available for this Cycling Forum

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tapatalk Retired - No Longer Available for this Cycling Forum

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:24 pm

This is just a short post as a confirmation that with the new forum design, tapatalk is no longer being used.

Firstly, it was a third party solution for when this forum didn't provide good access for smart devices, with the new design it provides access and functionality for smart devices so a 3rd party software is not required.

Secondly, tapatalk was a nice way for many to access however was becoming increasingly problematic, from injecting unwanted code and ads into the content to increasing difficulty getting support and regularly upgrading.

Give the new forum / design a good chance - there are ongoing efforts to continually improve and resolve many of the requests / issues reported to create a good experience for all members and guests, regardless of the device.

Christopher / Admin / AuBicycles
Cycling is in my BNA

Ballmead

Re: Tapatalk Retired - No Longer Available for this Cycling Forum

Postby Ballmead » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Is it possible to please look into doing a dark style skin to reduce battery consumption on a mobile device?
Also it's easier on the eyes for night time viewing.
That was one of the good features of Tapatalk that I'll miss the most.

Great job on the forum so far, it's a huge job and the old forum was a bit dated.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:03 pm

May be technically possible however would also be connected with a huge time investment. From experience having multiple styles (skins) it also doubles the time for each upgrade though generally only used by 1% of members.

My suggestion would be to adjust contrast to set automatically - but also not as bright as they need to be as devices do tend to be too bright.
Cycling is in my BNA

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:13 pm

Oh that explains it...

So what's the best way to access the forum via your iPhone now? As I found it really convenient to post messages with PICTURES via Tapatalk. Any other recommended app?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Well, it looks like no checking in here through the week. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Hmm, there were a lot of benefits/ features provided by Tapatalk access.
Not too impressed so far.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Funny how people have different views about things - I loath and detested the changes made since about 12 months ago I found a way to go back to a version I liked.

So for me I am happy to put a stake in its heart & move on.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Loss of tapatalk is a net negative for me also.
Whilst the changes made make navigation easier on a handheld device it is nowhere near as convenient as tapatalk was.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

stevexg

Postby stevexg » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:00 pm

A huge negative for me as well. I used/ use taptalk daily and found it the most convenient way of reading forums. No way I'll be reading the forum half as much now....

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:02 pm

Exactly
Timeline view is what I really want
Hopefully its possible on this super new platform that makes tapatalk unnecessary and I just haven't found it yet?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:51 pm

I think if we can get the New Posts section working like the old tapatalk timeline function then it will sort out a lot of the functionality problems. Just remember the tick is your friend to get to the next unread post in the thread. Its fairly close if we can get a timestamp on the threads of the last post I reckon.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:32 pm

Could the heading for each section be made to open and close? Scrolling down the entire list is cumbersome and slow on a phone...maybe a + and - sign to navigate which section you want to read?
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:58 pm

I've been using Tapatalk to acess the forum for a couple of years. It's pretty handy on iOS devices but my preference is still to use a "proper" computer :-)

My favourite connection point is the active topic page which I have bookmarked in Safari and in Tapatalk. I've made a web page app of it for the iPhone by following these instructions - only a couple of steps.

With regard to posting pics via Tapatalk - fergetabouit!- the Tapatalk hosting downsampled them corrosively. Get a free flickr account and spend 5 minutes learning how to share pics from there... much better result for your fellow users :-)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:35 am

BugsBunny wrote:Oh that explains it...

So what's the best way to access the forum via your iPhone now? As I found it really convenient to post messages with PICTURES via Tapatalk. Any other recommended app?
I've been using the photobucket app on the iPhone. I'm interested to hear of other solutions
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Disappointing...I may not use this forum much anymore as I prefer Tapatalk on my tablet...

Ballmead

Postby Ballmead » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Ive hardly come back here since the Tapatalk plugin was disabled :(
Please consider reinstalling it.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:48 am

+1
Or when I have visited it's been (comparatively) painful to find/browse posts in the various categories.

What are your usage stats showing since the change? Surely excluding tapatalk must have a significant negative impact?

Or is the impact hidden in the stats because users have to click around so much trying to find / browse topics?

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:35 am

I should have just trusted my gut and logged in to the forum instead of trying to waste my time and diagnose the TapTalk problems :-) All good now.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:03 pm

I understand the frustration of first having to move to tapatalk and then returning back to regular access without 3rd party applications.

On my task list are some tasks to introduce some of the positive navigation features of tapatalk such as timeline views.

Rather than look at stats, the priority is to first look at the bug fixes and improvements.

Could tapatalk be considered in the future? Sure, I am open to reviewing it again. But they would have to improve a number of things such as their support, their code injections and their efficiency (ie. time consuming for each update) before I would consider the additional time and cost investment to support it.
Cycling is in my BNA

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Not a problem for me. I know what it takes to maintain servers. Third party software is a dirty word for me, so you have my support :)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:09 pm

Right. This explains it.
I understand the difficulties in managing a forum, so understand the decision on tapatalk and also on additional themes.

The forums looks ok so far using the lastpass browser on my Note 4
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback - will continue to work to make it better, in its natural state, for smart phone / devices access.
Cycling is in my BNA

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:53 am

I am another TapaTalk user that is disappointed that it is no longer being supported. I follow 3 other cycling related forums on Tapatalk and I am not going to bother with this site if its not available on Tapatalk.

I would encourage the mods to look at both posting and reading stats for this site (prior to change) to see what percentage were from Tapatalk and to consider that much of that traffic will likely stop.

Its not that the site is not usable on a mobile device, as much as it is a fact that I only have limited spare time and I chose to use Tapatalk as it provides a one stop shop for about 6 different sites for me.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:17 pm

nickdos wrote:I am not going to bother with this site if its not available on Tapatalk.
It will be worthwhile reading through the other posts concerning the decision - it was a long time coming. As a free access community forum, it would be great to satisfy the needs of each individual but I also feel that as the admin, some responsibility lies with me in selecting software and services that are ethical and in the best interest of members, guests and this forum. Similarly, the support, admin and maintenance of each additional software service needs to be fairly balanced.

Tapatalk offered some convenience and many became used to it as well and there is often a reluctance to change / update. The new forum resolves access with smart devices and I am also working actively to update the forum - looking into adding some of the popular tapatalk options such as timeline view.

On smart devices, regular members can add a bookmark and set it as an icon on their phone or tablet to directly access the forum homepage (or even a specific sub forum).

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:28 am

Maybe I missed it but I did not get any warning at all that Tapatalk was being retired. I have been trying to log in for a week or more - there is no message, no notification, no nothing. After so many years of great work, i am really disappointed with the way this has been managed. Christopher, before now you have emailed significant news - surely this qualified?????
As a change manager in 'real life', i don't consider this change has been well managed. For those of us who access the forum with our mobiles, what is the alternative? Because it is not immediately apparent.
Very disappointed.................
Andrew