Will your Next Bike be Smart? ABS and other intelligent bike tech

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will your Next Bike be Smart? ABS and other intelligent bike tech

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Try and have a ride - for curiosity.

This drive system suits urban riding so 'efficiency' is not an issue as it would be for sports cycling. Gear range depends on the hub but that can be an argument if you need specifies ratios or a range that an internal geared hub can't deliver.

Belt drives can't be broken (to connect) so typically on the right seat stay or chain stay, the frame can be 'broken' to allow the belt drive to be changes... and while there are some nice coupling solutions out there, for sports bikes it is an additional issue when the priority is light-weight + strength.

That said, if the belt drives can get through, we would likely see it in MTBing first.
Cycling is in my BNA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:05 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Try and have a ride - for curiosity.

This drive system suits urban riding so 'efficiency' is not an issue as it would be for sports cycling. Gear range depends on the hub but that can be an argument if you need specifies ratios or a range that an internal geared hub can't deliver.

Belt drives can't be broken (to connect) so typically on the right seat stay or chain stay, the frame can be 'broken' to allow the belt drive to be changes... and while there are some nice coupling solutions out there, for sports bikes it is an additional issue when the priority is light-weight + strength.

That said, if the belt drives can get through, we would likely see it in MTBing first.
Informative thanks :)

I am in no position to try one really and I am in the sportive use segment plus I like to climb, so range would be an issue.
I run 52/36 and 11-32.
I accept others have different requirements and may find them viable.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Sounds like a roadie... but riding to the shops for your grocery shopping is better on the urban bike than the road bike.
Cycling is in my BNA

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Even with all the fancy tech getting about, 90% of those I ride with are no faster than me on my old steel steeds. Those that are, are because of fitness, not tech. Nothing introduced on a modern bicycle has made them any faster than a bike built 50 years ago.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Even with all the fancy tech getting about, 90% of those I ride with are no faster than me on my old steel steeds. Those that are, are because of fitness, not tech. Nothing introduced on a modern bicycle has made them any faster than a bike built 50 years ago.
it is incremental sure, but you are wrong. Try a set of deep section carbon wheels.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:01 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Nothing introduced on a modern bicycle has made them any faster than a bike built 50 years ago.
I beg to differ.... The fairings on a modern Time Trial bike, is not for looks! Deep profile wheels have a big impact and when you are looking for diminishing returns, there are watts to be found in different aspects where the technology or implementation was not available 50 years ago.
Cycling is in my BNA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Each of our three sets of wheels were ridden for 10 minutes at 200W and 10 minutes at 300W. The reason for this is that we felt that 200W represents a power output sustainable by a decent club or sportive rider and that 300W is typical of a time triallist or racer. From this we wanted to establish if it is still worth getting aero wheels even if you are not riding at race pace.

1) Mavic R-Sys SLR

At 200W (200W actual, 201W normalized) – Distance travelled: 5120m at 30.7 kph
At 300W (299W actual, 299W normalized) – Distance travelled: 6070m at 36.4 kph

2) Enve Smart 4.5

At 200W (202W actual, 203W normalized) – Distance travelled: 5460m at 32.7 kph
At 300W (301W actual, 302 normalized) – Distance travelled: 6442m at 38.6 kph

3) Hed GT3 Trispoke and Lightweight Autobahn

At 200W (200W actual, 202W normalized) – Distance travelled: 5520m at 33.1 kph
At 300W (300W actual, 300 normalized) – Distance travelled: 6600m at 39.6 kph

The results suggest that even when travelling at just 200W there is a significant aero benefit to some deeper wheels.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/cyc ... dDOx2r1.99

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am

Meh, I'll use whatever tech works for me. Generally, that is also goverened by funds available, so I don't tend to be able to use much tech ....

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:Meh, I'll use whatever tech works for me. Generally, that is also goverened by funds available, so I don't tend to be able to use much tech ....
You are a disc brake user are you not?
Considering it requires a completely new bike to adopt, I'd class that as one of the more expensive tech developments to buy :wink: :P

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:19 pm

warthog1 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Meh, I'll use whatever tech works for me. Generally, that is also goverened by funds available, so I don't tend to be able to use much tech ....
You are a disc brake user are you not?
Considering it requires a completely new bike to adopt, I'd class that as one of the more expensive tech developments to buy :wink: :P
Was buying a new bike anyway. Disc brakes are one of those 'no brainer' good things and worth the investment.

My funds (or lack of them) meant that I couldn't go Di2, SRAM or deep dish wheels for the new build. Some things like light cranks are s/hand or just "want what I have" :D

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Discs are out of the question for me. Multiple sets of wheels and bikes I am in no position to replace anytime soon.
I have more trouble going than stopping :( lol

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Nothing introduced on a modern bicycle has made them any faster than a bike built 50 years ago.
I beg to differ.... The fairings on a modern Time Trial bike, is not for looks! Deep profile wheels have a big impact and when you are looking for diminishing returns, there are watts to be found in different aspects where the technology or implementation was not available 50 years ago.
They use deeper wheels then me on my 32 hole clinchers and it doesn’t make them any faster

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 pm

warthog1 wrote:Discs are out of the question for me. Multiple sets of wheels and bikes I am in no position to replace anytime soon.
I have more trouble going than stopping :( lol
I see where you are coming from mate, but my bike is probably hi tech in unknown areas. Take this new fangled horn....just press a rubber bubble.... no batteries, and frightens the bejesus out of the peds....that's progress. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:01 pm

warthog1 wrote: I have more trouble going than stopping :( lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ditto, but I also like hills, so need tio stop.

And only have n=1 :|

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:48 pm

MichaelB wrote:
warthog1 wrote: I have more trouble going than stopping :( lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ditto, but I also like hills, so need tio stop.

And only have n=1 :|
I like em too, stopping is fine as is, but we are headed into pointless territory.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:
They use deeper wheels then me on my 32 hole clinchers and it doesn’t make them any faster
Read the link I posted. Deep section wheels are demonstrably and measurably faster.
There is no question.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:55 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Even with all the fancy tech getting about, 90% of those I ride with are no faster than me on my old steel steeds. Those that are, are because of fitness, not tech. Nothing introduced on a modern bicycle has made them any faster than a bike built 50 years ago.
ebike :P
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:11 am

Nobody wrote:I don't know what benefit there will be with ABS for off road use, as even dirt road corregations can confuse car ABS systems.
Given the known shortfalls of automotive ABS systems on unsealed surfaces, I put ABS on MTB in the "utterly useless and potentially dangerous" basket - certainly not something I'd be looking for in a future bike purchase.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 am

Cardy George wrote:Funnily enough for an extra yearly subscription RACV will come out for your bike too, although I'm not going to waste the money finding out how far off road they will go......
they give you a cab voucher. they won't fix your bike

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:08 am

AUbicycles wrote:I beg to differ.... The fairings on a modern Time Trial bike, is not for looks! Deep profile wheels have a big impact and when you are looking for diminishing returns, there are watts to be found in different aspects where the technology or implementation was not available 50 years ago.
no doubt aero wheels do make you go faster, but according to studies you can get better gains from cheaper items like clothing (skinsuit), helmet, booties, etc. of course you don't have to choose between them :)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Jules21 - tyres are the first and cheapest upgrade.

But you can also drink less beer or wine and do more training and get a great position on the bike. (Less beer, wine and gourmet food will actually save you money).

To be fair, a wheelset upgrade is an upgrade that will have the biggest and most noticeable effect. But for a bit more cash you can also switch out all the bolts on the bike to Titanium.
Cycling is in my BNA